13 Tips to Improve your Webcomic

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Re: 13 Tips to Improve your Webcomic

Postby MichaelYakutis on Mon May 07, 2012 10:40 am

CMikeNIke wrote:Set goals
Setting goals that are reasonable, but that still push you to try harder to complete it. I've found that goals that I reach in itself give me the motivation and eagerness to meet the next one. And, if you don't go overboard with what the goal is, even if you miss it, it won't be as crippling of a disappointment. Overall, goals will help give a more focused idea of what you're doing, so you don't meander on unnecessary components.

Exactly! And don't forget to give yourself a reasonable timeframe in which to meet your goals, while not being lazy about it.
MichaelYakutis
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue May 08, 2012 6:09 am

MichaelYakutis wrote:
Setting goals that are reasonable, but that still push you to try harder to complete it. I've found that goals that I reach in itself give me the motivation and eagerness to meet the next one. And, if you don't go overboard with what the goal is, even if you miss it, it won't be as crippling of a disappointment. Overall, goals will help give a more focused idea of what you're doing, so you don't meander on unnecessary components.

Exactly! And don't forget to give yourself a reasonable timeframe in which to meet your goals, while not being lazy about it.

Hi there! Welcome to the forums!
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby peterabnny on Tue May 08, 2012 5:22 pm

MichaelYakutis wrote:

I'll also agree with that. However, just be aware that the more you update, the greater potential for interest and audience-gathering. I myself am on a monthly schedule for my comic, Critters (http://www.crittersonline.org), and pretty much have been for years. I wish like hell I could update more frequently, but what can I say? I don't earn from my art, and other interests and responsibilities are increasingly competing for my increasingly limited free time. So, monthly it is, as well as a general newfound acceptance that my audience will always be limited because of it. But having a deadline is definitely the thing to force me to my drawing table.
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby MichaelYakutis on Wed May 09, 2012 10:21 am

LibertyCabbage wrote:Hi there! Welcome to the forums!

Thanks! Glad to be here.
MichaelYakutis
Regular Poster

Postby MichaelYakutis on Wed May 09, 2012 10:26 am

peterabnny wrote: I'll also agree with that. However, just be aware that the more you update, the greater potential for interest and audience-gathering. I myself am on a monthly schedule for my comic, Critters (http://www.crittersonline.org), and pretty much have been for years. I wish like hell I could update more frequently, but what can I say? I don't earn from my art, and other interests and responsibilities are increasingly competing for my increasingly limited free time. So, monthly it is, as well as a general newfound acceptance that my audience will always be limited because of it. But having a deadline is definitely the thing to force me to my drawing table.

Oh, for sure. My comic, http://www.andtobeloved.com/, updates twice a week and has been going for over a year now and updates twice a week. We have not missed a single update in that time and I work 7 days a week as an illustrator. I only have one day a week in that time to be able to work on my webcomic. I'm hoping that'll change soon, and I'll have a little more time. It would be nice to update 3 times per week, but we are gearing up for a bunch of other comics that we intend to launch in July. And quantity is good but you have to also remember that quantity does not equal quality. But ALWAYS stick to your schedule. I hate it when comics miss their own updates.
MichaelYakutis
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks