How are you doing, comic-wise?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Risky

Re: How are you doing, comic-wise?

Post by Risky »

Mastermind wrote:It's too late for me. Earlier when I saw Hitler raging over it on youtube, I was like "good thing I'm not that kind of gamer". Turns out I am. :cry:
All I know about the ending is that people say it rips off Minecraft's ending... I haven't even finished ME1 yet.

Same with my comic.
Last edited by Risky on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

I'm drawing as we speak.

Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Post by Phact0rri »

McDuffies wrote:I'm drawing as we speak.
I don't believe you!
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

I sure am. Have finished two pages yesterday.

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Post by Bustertheclown »

I had an idea for a comic recently. Actually, it was an idea for the same comic that's been trying to get out of me for about fifteen years now.

Here's a question, although given the nature of this community, it might be the wrong place to ask:

Anyone else put off by the idea of working on such a long-term artistic commitment?
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

A little bit, yeah.

Sometimes I get scared thinking of how long it's gong to take me to finish Loud Era. This story spans about 30 years, and after 3 years of working on it I've barely gone through one -_- So that's what, 87 more years I'll be working on this shenanigans? :lol:
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Post by RobboAKAscooby »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:A little bit, yeah.

Sometimes I get scared thinking of how long it's gong to take me to finish Loud Era. This story spans about 30 years, and after 3 years of working on it I've barely gone through one -_- So that's what, 87 more years I'll be working on this shenanigans? :lol:
So glad Flying Tigers takes place over just one year...
...but 60 pages in I'm on day 3 soooooo...
...yeah could take a while.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff

Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Post by Terotrous »

Bustertheclown wrote:I had an idea for a comic recently. Actually, it was an idea for the same comic that's been trying to get out of me for about fifteen years now.

Here's a question, although given the nature of this community, it might be the wrong place to ask:

Anyone else put off by the idea of working on such a long-term artistic commitment?
Oh absolutely. I don't think it's even possible not to feel that way. It often deters me from working on my things.

I find the secret is you just have to be put on by the feeling that you never accomplish anything to a degree that overrides your laziness.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

Phact0rri

Post by Phact0rri »

obviously... why do something today, when you can do it better a few years from now.

Thats a valid excuse for being a lazy bastard isn't?
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

you guyyyyysss

remember when i was new here and had just started my comic

because i just went and looked in the folder on my comp. with all those old strips in it and holy fuck they are so so so so bad i can't even stand it :lol:

which reminds me, we need to have a character evolution thread soon... we haven't had one in years

NO YOU GUYS WHY DID I EVER THINK THOSE COMICS WERE GOOD XD XD XD
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Post by IVstudios »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote: NO YOU GUYS WHY DID I EVER THINK THOSE COMICS WERE GOOD XD XD XD
Truth

Cope
Incompetent Monster

haaaaaaaaaaaet

Post by Cope »

Luckily for me, I hate everything I draw immediately.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Re: haaaaaaaaaaaet

Cope wrote:Luckily for me, I hate everything I draw immediately.
http://forums.comicgenesis.com/viewtopi ... w#p1519116

LOOK AT THE DATE OF THIS POST, COPE

YOU'RE SCARING ME

and so is the fact that i remembered you posting that :o

Cope
Incompetent Monster

Damn you, Past Cope! Always one step ahead!

Post by Cope »

I totally forgot I made that post, so I'm scaring me too. D:
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

I'm currently in the process of digitalizing RTP (dispite saying I wan't going to) but it's quite the emotional roller coaster. I might take a break from updating in order to get my head around it completely before I continue on. Should vastly increase update speed once I've got it sorted.

In the meantime I'm speading more time trying to draw realistic people. Today that involves delving into my favourite book that I inherited from my Granddad: Realistic Figure Drawing by Joseph Sheppard.
Image Image Image Image

Brockway
Dirty Old Man

Post by Brockway »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:you guyyyyysss

remember when i was new here and had just started my comic

because i just went and looked in the folder on my comp. with all those old strips in it and holy fuck they are so so so so bad i can't even stand it :lol:

which reminds me, we need to have a character evolution thread soon... we haven't had one in years

NO YOU GUYS WHY DID I EVER THINK THOSE COMICS WERE GOOD XD XD XD
You are an OLDBIE NOW. Your post should have been a 12 panel comic explaining your absence.

... God I miss Bob. And Mooman. He would have written (and recorded) a song about Bob's absence. And it would be on my mp3 player with the other ones. Honestly, all my creative energy has been sucked into My Little Pony, beer making, and motorcycle maintenance (IN THAT ORDER .____.)
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote: and so is the fact that i remembered you posting that :o
Seriously. And finding it.

After McDuffies, I am forever put off by any idea of any long-term commitment comic-wise.
I mean you're here on internet which means you can do practically whatever you want, you have 10 ideas for new projects boiling in your head, and you are stuck with a long-winded comic for which you're getting nearly no feedback, and you keep thinking "maybe if I did any other project, it would be more popular", and the project isn't panning out the way you wanted anyways, and you have to deal with every misstep you made along the way. I don't wanna be stuck in that situation again. Nowadays I'm attracted to episodic projects, things that I could just end up after the end of any episode. Things that give me freedom to do what I feel like at the moment, not what I planed to do five years ago.

Jops
Cartoon Hero

Post by Jops »

McDuffies wrote:I mean you're here on internet which means you can do practically whatever you want, you have 10 ideas for new projects boiling in your head, and you are stuck with a long-winded comic for which you're getting nearly no feedback, and you keep thinking "maybe if I did any other project, it would be more popular", and the project isn't panning out the way you wanted anyways, and you have to deal with every misstep you made along the way. I don't wanna be stuck in that situation again. Nowadays I'm attracted to episodic projects, things that I could just end up after the end of any episode. Things that give me freedom to do what I feel like at the moment, not what I planed to do five years ago.
I can relate! Basically that's what SDXF suffered from. I was soooo looking forward to draw something new or to dedicate time to other ideas that my writing got rushed... and well, eventually i wasn't particularly happy with the results.

With, NGITK, however, i seem to have found the right balance.
I can keep a decent schedule (about once per week) and still, occasionally, dedicate time to other illustrations and side-projects. In less than one year NGITK got more pages than SDXF did between September 2006 and April 2010. Plus, i'm quite happy with how the story is flowing and i still feel quite attached to the characters. To the point that I'm often planning ahead and polishing my story with the same excitement of when i started it.

But probably, what keeps me active on it, despite NGITK being a long term story, is the fact that i can constantly change by switching from one protagonist to the other without breaking the pace. Also, between dream sequences, in-game scenes and by illustrating what's just the character's imagination... i can easily temporarily change the setting entirely, from fantasy to sci-fi, be it for one panel or a few pages. ^^
This means that if i have ideas for other projects, i can totally find a way to make them fit into the comic i'm working on.

I BASICALLY FOUND THE WORKAROUND FOR THAT ISSUE! :D :D :D
And that's what makes me happy so that i feel like dancing around. ^^
Jops

Image Image

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Post by Bustertheclown »

McDuffies wrote:
After McDuffies, I am forever put off by any idea of any long-term commitment comic-wise.
I mean you're here on internet which means you can do practically whatever you want, you have 10 ideas for new projects boiling in your head, and you are stuck with a long-winded comic for which you're getting nearly no feedback, and you keep thinking "maybe if I did any other project, it would be more popular", and the project isn't panning out the way you wanted anyways, and you have to deal with every misstep you made along the way. I don't wanna be stuck in that situation again. Nowadays I'm attracted to episodic projects, things that I could just end up after the end of any episode. Things that give me freedom to do what I feel like at the moment, not what I planed to do five years ago.
Exactly. I honestly couldn't have put it any better, except to say on a personal level that all of the work and the lack of feedback and the long-term commitment, when paired with other creative options and the successes they have yielded me, has pretty much completely put me off of making comics all together. However, a problem stems from my having a lot of stories in my head that I envision would only work as comics. If I'm ever going to get those stories told, I'm going to have to fall in love with comics again somehow, and then pluck up the fortitude to actually do the work.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Post by robotthepirate »

Something I want to work on if I can improve my properly proportioned people is my mythology series.
Many many years ago I invented a solar system in which to write stories and develop my own language (that project has been pretty much abandonned), the original story was set when 3 of the planets had been colonised and there was lots of future tech but as time went on I worked backwards to the birth of the humanoid races and created a host of gods to rule over them. Basically I like greek mythology and wanted to write my own stories in a similar style so I encorporated my existing world into that idea.
I like the idea of illustrated narratives that tell the stories of the world but I need to practise drawing a bit more first. I'm considering launching into an obsurdly cliche superhero comic just for lots of drawing practise. And I want to do all this while keeping up with RTP updates and working full time. :shucks:
Image Image Image Image