Oscar nominations

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Oscar nominations

Postby McDuffies on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:19 am

Animated Feature Film
A Cat in Paris
Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli

Chico & Rita
Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal

Kung Fu Panda 2
Jennifer Yuh Nelson

Puss in Boots
Chris Miller

Rango
Gore Verbinski

Foreign entries are by far less formulaic and gimmicky and more worth your time, but Rango is probably gonna win, because it's that typical kind of hollywood self-flattery where the movie seems iconoclastic but actually isn't. Also, no Ghibly?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Re: Oscar nominations

Postby peterabnny on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:56 am

And sad to say, I didn't see any of those yet. Man, I need to get out more...
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby robotthepirate on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:55 am

Will probably watch K-F Panda 2 and Puss In Boots when they're out on Love Film (eventually) but we generally given up on going to the cinema for all but the most special of features, like The Avengers. It costs a small fortune to go the cinema these days. *Waves walking stick and mutters about the good old days*
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby peterabnny on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:02 am

robotthepirate wrote:Will probably watch K-F Panda 2 and Puss In Boots when they're out on Love Film (eventually) but we generally given up on going to the cinema for all but the most special of features, like The Avengers. It costs a small fortune to go the cinema these days. *Waves walking stick and mutters about the good old days*

Do they have second-run theaters over there, Robbie? I usually avoid first-run movies because of cost, too, unless they look to be totally stellar flicks. Otherwise, I'll wait several weeks and catch a movie before it goes to DVD for, like, $3 a pop. We've seen a few movies that way that we were glad we didn't pay full price in the first-run theaters.
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby Phact0rri on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:06 pm

To many reward ceremony's in a row. I wonder how come they don't space them out better. its like between say November to march its parade after parade. And its not like its different movies.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby robotthepirate on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:18 pm

peterabnny wrote:
robotthepirate wrote:Will probably watch K-F Panda 2 and Puss In Boots when they're out on Love Film (eventually) but we generally given up on going to the cinema for all but the most special of features, like The Avengers. It costs a small fortune to go the cinema these days. *Waves walking stick and mutters about the good old days*

Do they have second-run theaters over there, Robbie? I usually avoid first-run movies because of cost, too, unless they look to be totally stellar flicks. Otherwise, I'll wait several weeks and catch a movie before it goes to DVD for, like, $3 a pop. We've seen a few movies that way that we were glad we didn't pay full price in the first-run theaters.

Nah, they just stop showing them. They have the kids films on for longer, they show a different one every day of the week for just one showing at 11:00 ish and they come down in price quite a lot for that, but you have to have a kid with you to get in.

These days there more an issue of them re-releasing old movies (Star Wars to name six) in 3D. Have you ever taken your 3D glasses off half way through a film? I'm pretty sure they stop bothering after the first 15 minutes.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:55 pm

peterabnny wrote:Do they have second-run theaters over there, Robbie? I usually avoid first-run movies because of cost, too, unless they look to be totally stellar flicks. Otherwise, I'll wait several weeks and catch a movie before it goes to DVD for, like, $3 a pop. We've seen a few movies that way that we were glad we didn't pay full price in the first-run theaters.

That's the only option I have, most of good movies never come to cinemas here. Only stuff like new Steve Carrel or Catherine Heigl movie, or anything Avatar-like. Even oscar winners run very short. Luckily everyone rush the DVD issue out in less than a year.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby McDuffies on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:32 am

Far from me to back up Spielberg, but apparently "Adventures of Tintin" wasn't eligible because academy claims that motion-capturing isn't real animation.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby CMikeNIke on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Wasn't That the opposite of what was said in regard to Avatar? That it wasn't eligible for (if I recall) best actor because mo-cap was used and it counted as animation? Crazy old movie snobs need to at least be consistant in they're crazy-ness
CMikeNIke
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 pm

According to the article on AVClub, they're pretty consistent in rejecting technology that could possibly render some of their jobs (in this case, actor's job) obsolete or easily replaceable.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby peterabnny on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:48 pm

McDuffies wrote:According to the article on AVClub, they're pretty consistent in rejecting technology that could possibly render some of their jobs (in this case, actor's job) obsolete or easily replaceable.

Makes a lot of sense...

peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby robotthepirate on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:03 am

McDuffies wrote:According to the article on AVClub, they're pretty consistent in rejecting technology that could possibly render some of their jobs (in this case, actor's job) obsolete or easily replaceable.

Wasn't the CG on Avatar done off how the actors acted it? It certainly looked like it was. If they made it up from scratch then the animators deserved an Oscar in a whole new catagory. They do anyway, love that movie.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 am

This year in film will one day be remembered as "the year Tree Of Life was stiffed for the oscar".
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Toxic on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:54 am

The real stiffing was not giving Drive a Best Picture nomination. On the bright side Gary Oldman finally got a nomination. I don't think I could have lived much longer in a world where Jake Gyllenhaal was an Oscar nominated actor and Gary Oldman wasn't.
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Postby McDuffies on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:11 am

Well, you're already living in a world where Borgues never won a nobel prize, but Pearl Buck and Sinclair Lewis did.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Toxic on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:36 pm

That, and The Tree of Life was robbed for Best Cinematography.
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Postby McDuffies on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Hell yeah every frame of that film was a miniature masterpiece.
Artist may be a good film but it leaves a bad taste that they awarded a film that was basically glorifying hollywood.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Return to General Discussion