Artist/Writer Classified Ads

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Artist/Writer Classified Ads

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:21 am

JCLeSinge wrote:It's a very rare person who can both write and draw, and do them well; I've spent over ten years honing my writing skills, so my drawing has been greatly neglected. I need an artist who understands that the time they've spent improving their artwork is time they didn't spend learning to write.

I appreciate the tenacity, but whine much? I suspect that sentence structure and that aren't so important in comic scripts, but are we looking at a very first draft in those samples? They could be presented a lot better for artists to get excited about! I'm sure you've worked hard on your EPIC Story, but the grammar isn't exactly top notch. That could have something to do with Artists not chomping at the bit. They probably are not taking the time to read it, run on sentences are dreadful to read--I only made it through about five paragraphs.

If you've been begging people to the point that your so angry and horrible, why don't you just write it like a novel and not worry about the jerkish crapy writer artists. Epic Fantasy type stories have had a better track record as novels after all.

(EDIT: I rewrote this trying not to sound so much like a jerk, but I still think I failed)
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby McDuffies on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:43 am

Mo wrote:I was thinking Fight Club: The Comic, I know how much you love that film. :twisted:

Seriously though? I'm open for almost anything, as long as it's either a good intriguing story and/or genuinely funny (to me). I'm not set on a style, or genre for that matter. Oh and I have pretty much lost all innocence and decency so just about any adult content is fine with me as well. XD

Ironically, I'm at more modest stage, where I think that sex&violence has been done and niceness is the new black. :)
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Mo on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:53 am

McDuffies wrote:
Mo wrote:I was thinking Fight Club: The Comic, I know how much you love that film. :twisted:

Seriously though? I'm open for almost anything, as long as it's either a good intriguing story and/or genuinely funny (to me). I'm not set on a style, or genre for that matter. Oh and I have pretty much lost all innocence and decency so just about any adult content is fine with me as well. XD

Ironically, I'm at more modest stage, where I think that sex&violence has been done and niceness is the new black. :)

...I don't know you anymore. D:

Heh, I don't mind either way to be honest. The few comics I still read are mostly "nice".
Interestingly, I was contacted by another comic writer I really like today by email, so there's a possible project there... but until something is agreed I'm still open for anything.

And if he's working on his own projects, he usually doesn't see the need for a writer... since, obviously, writing an epic storyline that actually makes sense, devising vivid characters that people can empathise with and actually being able to finish, edit and present a professional manuscript aren't really "skills" are they? Nah, anyone can do that, right? Writing's just a knack, innit?

Woah, bitter much? If you haven't been able to find an artist it's probably because they didn't like your story or your style of writing.
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Mo wrote:
And if he's working on his own projects, he usually doesn't see the need for a writer... since, obviously, writing an epic storyline that actually makes sense, devising vivid characters that people can empathise with and actually being able to finish, edit and present a professional manuscript aren't really "skills" are they? Nah, anyone can do that, right? Writing's just a knack, innit?

Woah, bitter much? If you haven't been able to find an artist it's probably because they didn't like your story or your style of writing.

Psh, wrong, clearly all artists are just stupid and selfish eleven year olds who can't appreciate pure linguistic beauty, doy.

JCLeSinge, maybe you're just being tongue in cheek or something, but asking for an artist while simultaneously bashing your previous artists isn't a good way to endear potential helpers to you. Like going on a blind date with someone who keeps talking about how horrible their exes were, and how they were all losers, but YOU'LL surely be better than those other buttwads because you're NOTHING like old So-and-so, et cetera.

For some reason I tend to see this more with writers seeking artists than vice versa, not sure why.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Unbelievably, some people are perfectly capable of honing their writing skills alongside their drawing skills. Some artists, besides those two, also learned to play an instrument, play table tennis and got very far with their FRP character. There isn't a rule that you have to dedicate time to honing only one skill, and after all, different people progress at different pace.

People who can both draw and write well, not only aren't rare, but are actually all over the place, both in printed and in web comics. In fact, most of my favourite comics are made by a single author, and most of what I think is manufactured pulp is made by teams.

Why is this? Well, writing for comics is very different from just writing: it is best done when you have some grounding in visual art. Drawing for comic is different from just drawing: it's best done by people with some grounding in narration.
This is why people who understand those two not as two separate skills, but as two parts of the skill of making comics, can progress at both simultaneously: those two sides support each other. (Example: is "devising vivid characters that people can empathise with" more a matter of writer or artist? Where does influence of writing end and influence of physical appearance start? The one who can do both wins, because he seamlessly uses both visual and verbal tools to portray a character.)
But "good art" and "good writing" aren't completely objective things. They also have to complement each other. Writing that fits art can uncover hidden beauty in it, and art that fits writing can lift it to a new level, give it a different subtext and mood. This happens when they're done with a same sensibility, for instance by a same person. When they work together, the whole gets bigger than the sum of it's parts.

Ultimately, people aren't writing and drawing their comics because they think they can do both. They are doing both because their comic is their personal project, something they have a vision of, and explaining that vision to another person or letting him influence it is, reasonably, a no-no. To them, the purpose of the process isn't to write a story or to draw a picture - it is to realize a vision.
Other times, people are both writing and drawing simply because they enjoy both activities, and abandoning one of those activities would leave a gap in their creative fulfillment.
That's why it's unreasonable to blame people for wanting to both write and draw their comics. And it's as much reasonable as would be suggesting that musicians can only write or perform songs, but not both, because they can't possibly hone both those crafts in their lifetime.
And then even if all those artists agreed to draw by someone else's scripts, who's to say any of those would chose you?

Not progressing in drawing for ten years because you concentrated on "honing [your] drawing skills" is a poor excuse. Being too lazy, or not being talented are better excuses. Not being interested in drawing is an excellent excuse. That rap about focusing too much on just one, just isn't. Remember - Alan Moor didn't leave drawing because he couldn't do both at the same tame - he left it when he realized that he wasn't very talented at it.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:35 pm

McDuffies wrote:And it's as much reasonable as would be suggesting that musicians can only write or perform songs, but not both, because they can't possibly hone both those crafts in their lifetime.

I like this analogy quite a bit. Music and comics are more similar than one would think, I feel. Some artists are one-hit wonders, some churn out one great work after another, some continue to seemingly eternally produce manufactured pap that is popular for reasons that are more sentimental than qualitative. Some work best in a group, while others prefer to stand alone (or perhaps with a few back-up players :) ).

You're right about how different writing comics is from writing strict literary narrative. A while ago I tried to transcribe a book of mine into a comic and it was very tedious and difficult, because when I "write" I rely on words to convey meanings and atmospheres and rarely think about what things may look like at a given time, but when I "write for a comic" I think more visually, I envision how things will look on the paper. It's a bit more dream-like to write for comics, at least in my own experience, because there is less of a need to translate it into words- the images speak for themselves, I suppose is what I'm trying to say.

I'm a big fan of being a jack of all trades rather than a master of any, and this is definitely one of those fields where I would rather be comfortably adept at several different aspects of a project than divinely perfect at one and have to find others of similar esteem to fill in the rest of the roles. I never heard anybody say the jack of all trades can't gradually get better at those trades, anyhow :D
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:11 pm

what are you saying McD? Being a profficent musician AND artist AND writer? There is absolutely no one here, that is like that. Not even one... let alone like five or six. this is completely IMAGINATION! Thats what this is!
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby nbarsuli on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:39 am

Writer searching for a replacement artist...

Hi everyone! I write for the webcomic "How to Finish Last" (http://howtofinishlast.comicgenesis.com), and my artist has just recently gotten married and thus super busy and had to quit the project after about 20 strips. It was actually pretty good timing because I was just about to jump a few years into the future from where we were in the storyline. The story basically revolves around the idea that "nice guys finish last" and follows Ty as he struggles through failure after failure in an attempt to actually do something right for once. However, I want to make it less about one character and more about the ensemble of characters, so I plan to have various subplots here and there to allow for a deeper connection with each and every character that is introduced during the course of the story. I believe that in our lives, we meet many people and are impacted by all of them; thus, I believe my comic should have a similar feel to it: every character has an impact on not only Ty as the main character, but on the readers as well. This is precisely why I made Ty the "average-joe" character that he is--I wanted to allow Ty to be a sort of clay that is molded by the characters around him as well as by the audience's perceptions of him as a character.

Aaaaaanyway, now that I'm done talking (typing?) your ear off about that, a sample of my writing can be found here: (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B55UjSI_XaSRMjZiYzdhZjEtZDg5ZS00MDMyLWIxZTEtYWUyZTliMmFmNmMy&hl=en_US)

^That is the script for the first 20 strips that have already been posted on my site. Part of my writing style was developed because of my previous artist, so if you don't like how I write certain things, I can assure you it will change with the new artist to match his/her needs.

If you're at all interested, please email me at nbarsuli@gmail.com with a sample of your artwork, and we can discuss this further. Thanks everyone!
nbarsuli

Writer looking for gritty comic artist

Postby andytroy on Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:31 am

My name is Andy Troy, and I’m looking for an artist to collaborate with me on a comic book/graphic novel project entitled Grim Devices. I received my Master’s Degree in English & Creative Writing in 2008—with Grim Devices winning two Graduate Awards and serving as my Master’s thesis. Since then I have worked on short stories, novels and now this comic scripting project. For those interested in my other work, you can read my short story “Sac à Dos” here:
http://www.silverblade.net/content/?p=11
The story for Grim Devices is complete—all that remains is to type it into proper script formatting.

It’s a gritty crime/detective thriller, where the story twists and turns into something quasi-mythical and, I think, something important. I’ve created a complete setting for the story, Arc City, with factions and secrets and mysteries around every corner. The art style would be dark, scary but still with a technical skill and cleanness of line. The characters would be distinct and well-drawn, but in a hostile, uncertain, tenebrous environment.

My intention would be to pitch to comic companies like Vertigo, Avatar, Image, Boom! Studios or Dynamite Entertainment, who would be interested in this kind of long-term gritty storytelling.

Depending on how much input the artist wants to have on the project with regards to character design, panel layouts (although I have scripts prepared myself) and the like, it would be possible for the artist to have up to half (50%) of the creator rights for the Grim Devices series and its characters.

What I’m looking for is a talented comic artist—experience or publications are not necessarily required—to work closely with me on developing the Grim Devices property into a pitchable, sellable entity. For anyone interested in a close collaboration with me on this project, please let me know what kind of artistic projects you have worked on—or are currently doing. If you have a link to your portfolio or DeviantArt profile or something like that, please send that along as well. If I think we would be a good match artistically, then I will send you a script for the first three pages of Grim Devices as a sample for your penciling/inking/coloring of that prologue.

I can’t promise up-front payment, or an instant sale, but you would share in the creator rights to the Grim Devices property when we shop the project around to comic book companies. I look forward to seeing what talented artists are in the community!

For interested parties, please send to andyDOTtroyATymailDOTcom the following:
1) a resume/list of your past illustration work, 2) a portfolio or link to your work, and 3) your contact information.
andytroy

Writter searching for collaborator

Postby matthewaos on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:18 am

Hello, I am an amature writer searching for a partner. I have a couple of stories waiting and no artist to draw them.

The first one is a sci-fi, fantasy action story in a dystopian world and it's about a guy trying to do what he thinks is right. I have wrote it full script, and it's finished, though it can use some changes.

The second is set in the near future, where a large part of the city, the place where all the anarchists, the junkies and other "differend" people were hanging, is been circled by a wall and is now a ghetto. The story is about a group of people trying to survive. A first chapter for this is ready, I have written the story and divided it, it's not panel to panel.

The third one is a post apocalyptic tale showing the survivors in a new and improoved comunity, trying to rid of the mistakes of the past, though there's a conspiracy behind it. The first chapter of this story is ready though it needs some improvements.

It's not a paid job, I seek for someone who will be willingful to partner with me and do whatever, from a web comic, to self financed or even a submission.

email:

matthewaos@hotmail.com
matthewaos

COMIC BOOK ARTIST FOR HIRE!!!

Postby sonburnt on Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:03 am

My name is Joe Badon.

I am a published and self published comic book and comic strip artist.

I am currently looking for work.

My page rate is completely negotiable depending on your budget.

You can check out my portfolio at:

Joebadon.blogspot.com

You can contact me at:

sonburnt77@gmail.com
sonburnt

Seeking concept drawings for a Galileo comic...

Postby doctorsilence on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:39 am

I'm a professor of physics who has had an idea for a long time of creating graphic novels based on the writings of famous scientists. I wanted to start with Galileo, since his story is the most compelling - you know, the Inquisition and all that. While a comic book about physics and astronomy might sound like a bore, I want to try to bring Galileo's struggle to life in a really visually compelling way. I'd like to make these free to teachers and professors who teach physics and astronomy.

I'm an ok artist myself - good enough to storyboard the basic ideas, but I don't have enough technique to produce the final work.

Like I said, this idea has been on my back-burner for years now, and I'm finally thinking about putting up a Kickstarter to get funding for the project, so I wanted a few conceptual sketches to give people a sense of the final work. I can't offer any money NOW, but if it gets funded, I'll be able to pay the artist I select for the final art. (And maybe even retroactively pay the concept artists for these mock-ups and character studies.)

The visual style I'm looking for is black and white, dark, noir... maybe not QUITE as dark and noir as Frank Miller but... along those lines. (Not looking for Japanese/Manga style, as fun as it is to imagine a manga-Galileo.) I have a few mental images in mind for panels that I can suggest.

Ideally I'd like 3 or 4 artists to give me one or two concept drawings each so that I can give a broad picture of what shape the final work might take. They can be as rough or as finished as you have time to create.

Let me know if you might be interested or have any questions. If you could send some links or art samples w/ your first contact, that would be great.

Dave M.
doctorsilence

Postby johnrivers on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi there, my name's John, i'm 32 from London and I've been working on scripts for a proposed five-issue comic series. It's a fantasy series set in medieval England - think Robin Hood meets The Invisibles. It's adult, bloody and a lot of fun.

I want to work with an artist with a view to making a creator-owned project that we can then jointly pitch to comics and webcomics companies. I can't afford payment right now (I know, I know...) hence my looking for someone I can work with, inspire and in turn inspire me to be a better writer.

If you're interested then email me at johnrivers@gmail.com and I'll send you the script for issue 1, that's ready to go.

I'm also interested in helping other artists with their projects. If you need help storyboarding or scripting I'm happy to help. I can't draw, but I can write. The worst that happens is we have a chat about comics and go out separate ways.

Right, like every other nerd on the planet I'm off to read the Justice League reboot and moan about it. ;-)

I await your smart-alecky responses.

John
http://theterminalbeach.wordpress.com
johnrivers

Postby tirusthevirus on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:48 pm

I've recently completed a 5-chapter graphic novel script and am looking to collaborate with a talented artist to do the artwork for the script.

The script is Resident Evil meets Tank Girl with a definite emphasis on humour, and I am looking for a drawing style similar to Ben Templesmith (Wormwood, 30 Days of Night, etc), although I am open-minded. A gory, zombie-filled story about an Agent sworn to defend the city from a plague of necrotic whores and Neo-Nazi's, MAGGIE X, definitely fits into the horror genre, so this is not a project for the weak-stomached.

I am unable to offer much in the way of financial compensation, however the idea is to seek publication, so in a sense this is a money-making venture. Pay may be negotiable under the right circumstances, but it would naturally be limited by my finances.

I should also note that I have had some concept artwork for this done already and I have someone available to do the cover art as well.

Please let me know via email if you are interested: brycekraffle@gmail.com (Subject Line: Graphic Novel Collab). As well, please send me a link to/copy of some of your portfolio pieces and I will be happy to send the script your way. In the meantime, a brief sample of my writing is below:

PAGE 25 (SIX PANELS)

PANEL ONE

MAGGIE X sits at the poker table.

MAGGIE X:

Mind if I join?

CROSS:

Not at all.
You got a name, sweetheart?

PANEL TWO

A waiter stands beside MAGGIE X.

MAGGIE X:

X. Maggie X.
I’ll have a Budweiser. Shaken, not stirred.

PANEL THREE

MAGGIE X is looking at her cards.

DEALER:

It’s Madame’s turn.

MAGGIE X:

Oh. Right. Umm, got any 7’s?

PANEL FOUR

WAITER shakes MAGGIE X’S beer can.

PANEL FIVE

MAGGIE X shotguns the beer.

PANEL SIX

MAGGIE X belches.
tirusthevirus

Postby johnrivers on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm

johnrivers wrote:Hi there, my name's John, i'm 32 from London and I've been working on scripts for a proposed five-issue comic series. It's a fantasy series set in medieval England - think Robin Hood meets The Invisibles. It's adult, bloody and a lot of fun.

I want to work with an artist with a view to making a creator-owned project that we can then jointly pitch to comics and webcomics companies. I can't afford payment right now (I know, I know...) hence my looking for someone I can work with, inspire and in turn inspire me to be a better writer.

If you're interested then email me at johnrivers@gmail.com and I'll send you the script for issue 1, that's ready to go.

I'm also interested in helping other artists with their projects. If you need help storyboarding or scripting I'm happy to help. I can't draw, but I can write. The worst that happens is we have a chat about comics and go out separate ways.

John
http://theterminalbeach.wordpress.com

UPDATE!

Have now found a pencil artist (check out: http://nimzoblanca.deviantart.com/gallery/32625922# ) and inker (check out: www.mardelplatacomics.blogspot.com ) but still need a Colourist and Letterer so if you think you could help please get in touch and I can send you a script. Details in the top post!

Many thanks

John
johnrivers

Postby Lucarian on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:20 am

I need an artist!

My idea is this:

Earth is attacked by invaders intent on stealing our planets water(I know, but stay with me). The Atlanteans, ancient aliens that have lived alongside us since the beginning of time, retaliate to the invasion and team up with Earths military to repel the first wave of the invaders.
The story would follow five kids who will play a crucial role in how the events unfold.

The story has been outlined but if the artist has any ideas while working on it I'd be open to discussion.

Artistic freedom for the most part, although I'm not sure manga/anime style would be right for the story.

Questions? Just message me.

It was initially going to be a novel but I'll begin fleshing out a comic script and will upload an example soon.

Contact me if you need to see a writing sample before committing.

You can also email me at austin.jordanr@yahoo.com
Lucarian

Postby NewBlood on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Hello Everyone I am new to "Comic Genesis" but not new to writing manga.
I have currently been working on this sci-fi/action manga called "New Blood" it is a vampire anime, but not just any vampire anime it describes two true royal bloods who have had conflict for the past centuries. The to royal bloods have always been Equal yet they seek ways to defeat one another, But then came a young boy name "Himura Hibotomi" he's and a born king of true bloods. Currently there are "Red Eyed Bloods" and "Blue Eyed Bloods", hib is a new born blood "White Eyed Blood" he awakens at the new high school on the battle field as his life was being threatened.But to speak of vampires, Vampires power isn't limited by brute strength and speed, some vampire have the power to call on "Rah" Witch is a flame will that is rare to see among's vampires. The ability to use flame, and call forth your souls weapon, Red eyes have the ability to use red flame and blue eyes have the ability to use blue flame this ability allows them to stretch far beyond there limits of being grunt vampires. Humans have developed super suit called "Exo Suits" to compete with the vampires and demons although everyone can't use them, when one does use them it give vampire like power and speed.

I Need artist who are willing to work with me on this manga,
I haven't figured out the drawing style so feel free to throw your opinion in

Email : Newbloodmanga@yahoo.com
NewBlood

Postby juanromera on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:41 am

Hi everyone, my name is Juan. Im a comic artist and im actually looking for more work.
I an do pencils, inks and digital color (full color or greyscale).

I use Wester Union as payment method and all prices are negotiable, just send me an email and we`ll talk.

For comic artwork, my rates are the following:

Pencilled and ink page: $45
Pencilled, ink page and gray tones: 55
Full page (pencils, inks and color): $65

Thanks a lot, and if youre interested, dont hesitate to write to juanromera(at)gmail.com.

My portfolio: http://www.juanromera.com

juanromera

Postby Graveyard Dog on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:54 pm

First time comic self-publisher needs an artist - if THAT didn't scare you away...

On the good news side, since I'm new to this genre and completely understand that, I am willing to give an artist as much creative input as necessary.

I'm a veteran police officer and have been writing anonymous police blogs for years (Stupid Rookie Tricks 101, You Have the Right to Remain Silent... now SHUT THE F*CK UP! and most recently Tales from a Graveyard Dog). I would like to convert the blog stories to a comic format - I'm envisioning some type of American Splendor from a cynical police officers perspective. Some of the stories are longer (feature) lengths and follow the main character - GYD. Some stories are shorts and can just be generic police officers as the characters. I plan to use the shorts as segue pieces.

The stories are from all different perspectives of police work. Some are humorous, some are tear jerkers, some are action packed... but for the most part a majority are a cynical satire as GYD has rounded the corner of his law enforcement career to find that most of the general public appear to be idiots who somehow stumble upon surviving through their days.

I am in the process of converting the blog stories to scripts. I have self published training manuals and short story fiction before, this is a bit of a new format to me. Through the advice of a couple of artists I have left a lot of leeway in the scripts instead of trying to over-manage everything.

What I Need in an Artist
I assume that I would need an artist who draws more towards realism but I wouldn't mind a bit of a cartoon look. I plan to publish in black and white for now. I would appreciate someone who could just hand me a finished product, ready for the publisher. I wouldn't mind finding several artists who would like to draw a single script -or- finding a single artist who wants to be THE artist for the project.

Since this is just a first time effort, I would also work with newer artists who will work in exchange for the credit - as a matter of fact two art schools added my project to their Internship list and I have a couple of 'shorts' already spoken for by students.

I am also accepting bids and entertaining collaboration offers so if the project interests you on ANY level - please get a hold of me with any ideas!

I would like to have some of these scripts farmed out by the end of the month.

Project email is: talesfromagraveyarddog@gmail.com

Thanks again for your interest!
Graveyard Dog
Graveyard Dog

Postby mistercynical on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm looking for an artist to work on spec for a series submission or self-publishing. The project is a postapocalyptic zombie-ish tale (yes, another one, but who doesn't love zombies?). I say "zombie-ish" because the stories won't follow all the usual zombie tropes, but it should appeal to the same audience that likes texts like THE WALKING DEAD and any number of films from the genre.

I would want an artist who could work with a fairly detailed, panel-by-panel script, though I would of course be open to collaboration if you had a different, better way of presenting the material visually. Ideally you would have a realistic style, though I also think something along the lines of the Sam Keith-Kelly Jones issues of SANDMAN would be cool.

I've got a first-issue script ready and would be glad to forward a sample if you're interested. Should the series get picked up, or should we decide to go the self-publishing route, I would equally share creator credits and any financial remuneration.

If interested, email me at semioticconundrums@gmail.com. If not, good luck with your own projects.
mistercynical

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion