But I'm A Cat Person - Discussion thread

For questions about, comments on, and other assorted discussion of all things Shine-y.
SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

But I'm A Cat Person - Discussion thread

Post by SailorPtah »

As some of you have already seen, I'm working on an original comic: But I'm A Cat Person, in which our heroines end up drawn into a mysterious world-spanning contest of shapeshifting battle monsters after they make the mistake of adopting a puppy.

Anyone can comment directly on the strips, but I like the conversation format of forums, and the comic isn't nearly big enough to have one of its own yet. Thus, this thread!

I know there isn't much to go on yet when it comes to speculation...or characterization...or shipping...so, um. How 'bout that layout, huh?

flyboy254
Regular Poster

Re: But I'm A Cat Person - Discussion thread

Post by flyboy254 »

Oh, there's always speculation! For example...

Just how far are the game's organizers willing to go to get one of their star attractions into a fight?
Vampires can be exceedingly charming when they need to be. They will joke, cajole and flatter, and just when you think, "vampires aren't so bad," you've got a pair of fangs buried in your neck.

For those who still insist on treating vampirism as a romantic existence, consider the suicide note left behind by Jacob Drexel, member of a prominent Philadelphia family who was transformed in 1937. After Drexel leaped off the City Hall tower one snowy night, a suicide note was found that closed with the following lines: "I have been living in constant torment over the unspeakable acts I have committed, and yet I am powerless to stop committing them. May God forgive me."

- Dr. Hugo Pecos, FVZA Director Emeritus

Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Post by Chaos Priest »

No! Bad Bianca! Leave the job of giving puppy eye looks to the "puppy"!
"I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent."
"Ah, but I am a master of unarmed combat!"

flyboy254
Regular Poster

Post by flyboy254 »

So...why is Anthony a crossdresser again?
Vampires can be exceedingly charming when they need to be. They will joke, cajole and flatter, and just when you think, "vampires aren't so bad," you've got a pair of fangs buried in your neck.

For those who still insist on treating vampirism as a romantic existence, consider the suicide note left behind by Jacob Drexel, member of a prominent Philadelphia family who was transformed in 1937. After Drexel leaped off the City Hall tower one snowy night, a suicide note was found that closed with the following lines: "I have been living in constant torment over the unspeakable acts I have committed, and yet I am powerless to stop committing them. May God forgive me."

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

You mean Timothy? And, ah, there's no real reason. He just has a slightly genderbendy soul ^_^

flyboy254
Regular Poster

Post by flyboy254 »

Ah, Timothy, si, yes, that's what I meant.

Hm...Not often you see the crossdressers in heroic roles. Should prove to be a nice little twist for a particularly wrong genre-savvy character.

Chaos Priest
Regular Poster

Post by Chaos Priest »

"I (your name here)"? Wow, they've really been working on streamlining the whole magical contract process, haven't they?
"I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent."
"Ah, but I am a master of unarmed combat!"

flyboy254
Regular Poster

Post by flyboy254 »

Um...isn't owning a Being...you know what? Forget beings, they're humans, dammit! Isn't this no better than slavery? Why should a being have a master! FREEDOM FOR ALL BEINGS!

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

I'm leaving the above bit of spam undeleted, because for obscure reasons it amuses me. Future spam will continue to be wiped with extreme prejudice.
flyboy254 wrote:Um...isn't owning a Being...you know what? Forget beings, they're humans, dammit! Isn't this no better than slavery? Why should a being have a master! FREEDOM FOR ALL BEINGS!
Hellooooo, plot point! Don't worry, this will get thoroughly considered and explored by our heroes :D

There's a lot to avoid spoiling, but I don't mind pointing out that Beings are not humans -- any more than they are dogs or birds. Their true natures will be delved into as the story goes on.

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Oh, one more thing! I'm working on an FAQ page. Anybody want to ask some questions for it?

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Post by Xuanwu »

Here are some!

Is Sparrow based on Nenene from Read or Die?

How much of yourself did you put into Sparrow/Bianca/other characters?

What are your key inspirations? Neopets? Cardcaptor Sakura?

Is this in the same universe as Shine, Fake News, or any of your other projects?

Will they have to catch 'em all?

Who would be a worse pick to direct the live-action Hollywood movie with an all-white cast: Michael Bay, M. Night Shamylan, or Albert Hughes?

Does Rule 34 exist for this yet? If not, will you be making any?

Would you put your brain in a robot body?

Breakdown the relationship types for us in a nifty connected chart like you did for Shine.

That's all for now.

flyboy254
Regular Poster

Post by flyboy254 »

I've got one. Will the political beliefs Sparrow holds come up as an issue?

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Awesome! Answers to everything so far are now in the FAQ, except the robot body question (answer: depends on the robot) and the relationship-chart question (we don't have enough characters yet, much less know enough about them!).

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Post by Xuanwu »

(I should note I listed Bay only because of his history of horrible movies in general.)

Is this set in the recent past, near future, or something else?

Is Sparrow's boss, Bennett, based on any real world politicians? Or is he just generically corrupt and hypocritical?

Any plans to cosplay as Sparrow yourself?

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Answered all except that last one. If I put together a Sparrow cosplay, the next thing I'd do would be to slap on some glasses and a headband and go as Nenene.

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Post by Xuanwu »

How long have the Beings been in existence?

How has the presence of the Beings in human history made this world different from ours?

Do Beings have technological or scientific knowledge different from us? Or do they learn what we've learned?

Are Beings considered animals under the law or something else? Even in human form?

Would falling in love with a Being under your control be taboo? Is it against the law (per bestiality)?

Does Rick Santorum lead rallies against Human-Being marriage, saying "I told you so!" and referencing the gay marriage issue?

Are librarians hiding something?

Patrick has indicated that the First Law of Robotics (can't hurt humans directly or allow them to come to harm) applies to Beings. It is the whole thing or just the first half?

Since Beings can blow up buildings and damage property, can they (knowingly or unknowingly) hurt a human through environmental damage even if they can't hit a person straight on?

What religion do Beings hold? The same as humans or something different?

Is every Being a different species of animal, like the Aces of Pandect? Or can there be two or more Beings that use the same animal form?

Can I appear in the comic? [Note: I'm asking this as a general cameo policy question, not me specifically. I figure some people will want to know since Shine has had cameos.]

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Answered all except the cameos question -- if and when I need them, I'll ask for them ^_^

Xuanwu
Cartoon Hero

Post by Xuanwu »

How many Beings are there at any one time on average?

Has the number of Beings increased over the millennia or has it remained constant?

Do Beings grow old and die of natural causes? If so, what is their expected life span? Or are they more likes elves?

Can Beings die from traumatic injury or will they heal from anything like Jack Harkness?

Do you get a Holy Grail if you win the game the Beings play?

Are there any notable historical figures who had their own Beings?

What supernatural tales were inspired by the existence of Beings? Walking on water? Moving mountains?

Does having a master make a Being stronger or weaker in terms of special abilities? Intellect? Personality?

Evangelion's Angels ate from the Tree of Life, thus going on different evolutionary pathways than humans despite a common ancestor. Mushi are the first stage of life that emerge from the River of Light, predating even bacteria. How do Beings fit into the overall ecological structure of the planet? Are they part of the normal organism kingdom system we use? Or, like the Angels and Mushi, do they represent something that exists outside our understanding of how life emerges and evolves?

flyboy254
Regular Poster

Post by flyboy254 »

Jeez, Xuanwu, how many questions you got?

Does the military use beings, and if so, in what capacity?

Are there federal regulations for beings?

Can beings and humans interbreed?

Do scientists experiment on beings?

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

All right, the questions about Beings have been moved to their own page, because this is getting ridiculous XD

Posted responses to all of them except the one about federal regulations, because that's been covered.