Livejournal Thread 4: Can't kill what's already dead inside

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Livejournal Thread 4: Can't kill what's already dead inside

Postby Laemkral on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:48 pm

So, stuff and things. Ate not that great Indian food for dinner. Watched Ghostbusters. Hung some posters up in the living room (cheap frames apparently don't exist in Germany).

Now I'm resurrecting the thread of bitching and moaning because it accidentally died in the Spam Purge of '11. It was a dark time, and it will continue to be a dark time. Mostly cause Kelly didn't come by to check on things and pay the electric bill.

I wish you all a good night now, because I'm going to bed. FIGHT ON AGAINST THE SPAMMERS!! NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Re: Livejournal Thread 4: Can't kill what's already dead inside

Postby Bustertheclown on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:29 pm

I've taken up jogging, because it's too wintered to ride my bike, and I'm too arthritis'd to work the kettlebells, and I need fitness in my life. I haven't run since I was in high school, and I currently weigh 340 pounds, so the last few days have been a bit torturous. It's already getting easier, but yesterday I could barely walk. I intend to do my first 5k in mid-February.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laemkral on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:19 am

How far do you jog and for how long? If your weight is limiting your ability to engage in cardio, it's okay to use brisk walking or swimming as ways of elevating your heart rate and increasing your metabolism. The key thing is to not exercise so much that you can't function the rest of the day or the next day.

Good luck on your fitness goal, and 5k is an impressive accomplishment if you can achieve it.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ti-Phil on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:58 am

Good luck Buster. It's going to be difficult at first, but the more you do it, the easier it will get!
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Postby Bustertheclown on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks for the support!

Don't worry, Laem. I'm no stranger to physical activity. The inability to walk was from the infusion of lactic acid to my muscles, which has subsided. You can rest assured that I'm listening to my body, and not overdoing it. Right now, I'm doing a 1.5 mile circuit, with a 200m medium incline hill in the middle. I run the first half, and run/walk the second half, increasing my running each time. It takes me about 20 minutes to complete, because I weigh a lot, and it doesn't take much speed to feel the exertion. I walk at least a couple of miles daily already, and running is just stepping up my game. I have to say, though, that conditioning is happening quickly. I made it to the top of the hill without stopping last night. I think I might just be ready to complete a 5k in February, even if it's not fast.

The extra exertion in running has alerted me to the fact that I don't sleep enough, though. Rest is an important component to recovery, after all, so I'm adjusting my sleep schedule accordingly. It's also alerted me to just how much weight I'm carrying on the front of me, bouncing around. It isn't pretty.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ekolter on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Holy Shit Batman, we got a real true to goodness snow. None of that pansy ass 2 to 3 inches. Hell, they close the whole freaking metro area over a snowflake. You may think I'm kidding but I'm not. We got anywhere from 9 inches to 12 inches of snow. More on the way this weekend. Whoohoo. What can I say, I like this stuff. :)
Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laemkral on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:35 am

5 days living in the field out of tents and heaters. 5 days of managing training operations and supervising the dispatching of vehicles. 5 days pretty much ensuring everything keeps running smooth and that there's food, fuel, and heat.

And when all is said and done, what do I decide to do? Not go home and take a shower and go to sleep. Nope. I go and hang out with the German Army on an urban land nav course over a 5 mile hike. Of course, there's hot soup and beer, so that makes things a lot better. In fact, beer at every single station (all 4 of them on the course), so it keeps the cold out and the buzz going.

By the end of the night, we've done target spotting with NVGs and a night vision equipped G36 rifle, tried to identify over 60 different military vehicles and weapons from all over the world, start a fire with only tinder and a magnesium strip, and then test our marksmanship skills with pellet guns. While competing against other teams doing the same. All in all, a good night that I got home from at 4AM, whereupon I showered and PASSED OUT.

So, today has been a relax day. And tomorrow will be a cleaning day (kinda).
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ti-Phil on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:44 pm

That sounds like quite an eventfilled week Laem O_O;
I think you deserve a rest day.
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:27 pm

My goodness have you been a busy bee Laem!! Time to rest.

I have a petty complaint which is that I installed the old Rollercoaster Tycoon game on my laptop a few months ago and with some tinkering was able to get it to run. Unfortunately I went to play it today and it wouldn't run anymore, and I don't have the patience to bother messing around with it. No rollercoasters today :(
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby peterabnny on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:My goodness have you been a busy bee Laem!! Time to rest.

Second that - damn, Laem! :o

I have a petty complaint which is that I installed the old Rollercoaster Tycoon game on my laptop a few months ago and with some tinkering was able to get it to run. Unfortunately I went to play it today and it wouldn't run anymore, and I don't have the patience to bother messing around with it. No rollercoasters today :(

Technology hasn't been my friend lately, either. Got a new mp3 player to replace my old one which has finally worn out, and in the process of migrating my 30 gigs of music to the new player, lost all of it. I had 90% of it backed up, but that other 10% wasn't, and it was the percentage nearer and dearer to me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Word of warning - don't buy Creative Labs products...
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby Ekolter on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Roughly 8 weeks left until the future co-ruler of the world makes her debut.

Also, who in the hell put in the order for EXTRA snow. A few inches is ok, but a couple freaking feet?! WTH?! :evil:
Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ahaugen on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 pm

I'll take your foot of snow if you'll take my -30 highs
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero

Location: Chasing leads, reporating news, and opining editorally

Postby Spaceprincess on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:13 pm

20 + inches of snow, with 8 ft drifts. shoveling was a bitch, and I'm not done yet. Its gonna drop below 0 over night. we still have power so its not nearly as bad as it could be.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:16 pm

Spaceprincess wrote:8 ft drifts

Spaceprincess wrote:8

Spaceprincess wrote:ft

Spaceprincess wrote:drifts

SOOO MUHCHCHCHHH SNOWOWWWWW

all our snow has turned to piles of crunchy ice and mudslaps.

At this point I'm less bothered by the snow and more by the wind and the cold. The snow itself is generally easy to avoid by staying on paths, but the cold infiltrates my process and makes me cranky and full of rage.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby siguyva on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm assuming you guys are on the American Northeast also. We just had an ice storm last night, and everything was covered in plate-glass consistency ice this morning. It was the seventh or eighth storm we had to deal with in the past month. I think. Honestly, I've lost count.

It's almost as bad as '96. Man, remember that? That was awesome. Probably because I was a little kid back then.
siguyva
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:50 pm

A Sad Snow Story

Last week we had mounds and mounds of snow. Perfect, perfect packing snow, almost suspiciously ideal for building, well, anything. I helped some friends build a snowfort. They had this neat idea of using recycle bins to pack the snow to make bricks. So by the end of it all, we had this enormous behemoth of a thing, maybe a little over five feet tall and at least ten feet in diameter. We even had a wall segment by the door that curled around so that you couldn't just go directly inside, you had to walk through a little corridor first.

A funny thing happened as we were building, a group of Rowdy Bros strutted past and one of them shouted "BUT WHAT ABOUT AN AERIAL ATTACK?" We sort of laughed and went back to building, like we weren't really making it to actually have snowball fights, more just to hang out in, since it felt like it was at least 20 degrees warmer inside than outside.

Right so suddenly there is all this yelling and snowballs flying out of the sky- the group of boys went up on the roof of the parking garage beside our snowfort and were throwing snowballs at us. It would have been futile to throw back, so we didn't, just kind of laughed and waited till they got bored and they went away.

So cool fort, nice inside, we were looking forward to showing it to Skwinky's friends when they came to visit the next day. That morning I wake up and have this wretched start to my day, and to add insult to injury I begin making my way down the path to class and go to look for the fort. As I'm coming up to the field I think to myself, oh it must be further to the left than I remembered.... but as I grew closer and the entire field became visible, I realized, the fort had been entirely demolished overnight.

Now, don't get me wrong. I realize this is a college campus, and wasn't really expecting the fort to be entirely intact for all of time. But like, I figured there would have been at least SOMETHING left of it to play in. At least our guy friends got to have a snowball in it the night before, but still.

R.I.P. Fort Flumple.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Image Image
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby McDuffies on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:13 am

We have like 1 centimeter of snow here. It's also cold like a bitch.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Spaceprincess on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:A Sad Snow Story...
R.I.P. Fort Flumple.

poor fort flumple, but thats the sad life of all snow creations, they either get destroyed by evil children or slowly and painfully melt into nothingness.
at least you got to have fun with it.

I finally got all the snow cleared. my arms are going to fall off. a hand full of ever pain killer in the cabinet and a few shots of jameson helped me sleep last night.
the neighbor let me use his snow blower to finish which was awesome of him.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby Laemkral on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:57 pm

DELICIOUS FOOD! Just ate brats and onions cooked in beer. Then I drank the rest of the beer.

Also, doing laundry.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to General Discussion