[HELP WANTED] Inquire within.

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

[HELP WANTED] Inquire within.

Postby STrRedWolf on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:30 pm

It's obvious. I need more help from everyone.

I'm looking for "veteran" comic artists who are willing to get their hands a bit dirtier to help out with some duties around CG for one reason: I'm turning into Nate Stone - I have little time for everything now. And that's a BAD thing.

I'm looking for Forum Mods who are willing to Admin.
I'm looking for fellow geeks who've played around the Linux command line (aka "bash shell") and can help users by looking at their accounts.
And I'm looking for some Perl and PHP coders willing to donate time and effort to improving CG's inside admin and outside user tools.

If you think you're up to the task, let me know here.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Re: [HELP WANTED] Inquire within.

Postby Kisai on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:52 am

STrRedWolf wrote:It's obvious. I need more help from everyone.

I'm looking for "veteran" comic artists who are willing to get their hands a bit dirtier to help out with some duties around CG for one reason: I'm turning into Nate Stone - I have little time for everything now. And that's a BAD thing.

I'm looking for Forum Mods who are willing to Admin.
I'm looking for fellow geeks who've played around the Linux command line (aka "bash shell") and can help users by looking at their accounts.
And I'm looking for some Perl and PHP coders willing to donate time and effort to improving CG's inside admin and outside user tools.

If you think you're up to the task, let me know here.

I take it the lack of response means nobody is interested.

Let me be blunt

Use the search button

There has been little "development" work done on CG due to lack of time. CG is not an open source project, nor is it anything like wikipedia. The CG Wiki exists for filling the "help/info" aspect so that my time and Kelly's time isn't spent answering the same question repeatedly. There is no ticket system or email support for the same reason. Nearly 99% of all questions have been asked before, people are just lazy.

But lack of development work also means lack of any push to change CG at all, so if people are fine with the status quo, nothing will change until the next hot technology comes along.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Tenma on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 am

STrRedWolf wrote:I'm looking for fellow geeks who've played around the Linux command line (aka "bash shell") and can help users by looking at their accounts.

I can help with this. I SSH and work in bash every day. And it will give me something to do during the work day that looks like all the rest of my work.

Would have responded sooner, but I'm just recently getting involved with CG again.

[Updates Mondays and Thursdays]
Tenma
Regular Poster

Postby Kisai on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:16 pm

Tenma wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:I'm looking for fellow geeks who've played around the Linux command line (aka "bash shell") and can help users by looking at their accounts.

I can help with this. I SSH and work in bash every day. And it will give me something to do during the work day that looks like all the rest of my work.

Would have responded sooner, but I'm just recently getting involved with CG again.

Okay, what do you know?

Here's a list of everything that we use more or less:
-Apache 2.2.x
--mod_fcgid
---php5 as CGI (not apache module)
----PHPBB3 (forums), MediaWiki (Wiki)
-Perl 5.8 or later
--Autokeen is written in perl
---So are all the backend scripts
-MySQL 5.x

Some parts of the main site use javascript/AJAX

The forums are administered using a web interface and is a pain in the ass otherwise to maintain from the command line.
There is custom code plugged into the forums and the wiki to share authentication databases with the main user database.

Comicgenesis is currently 2 mirrored servers in master-master configuration (or should be)

I'm not exactly sure what Kelly had in mind, but the majority of "fix my account" problems consist of moving files, reading the templates and changing permissions on files.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Tenma on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:38 pm

I will PM you with the details.

[Updates Mondays and Thursdays]
Tenma
Regular Poster

Postby FollesGuy on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 pm

Hi. I have uploaded my first dozen comics to the server and want to get my comic started. However, it would appear that I cannot do it with the admin interface. I have come across a message that suggests I should make the necessary changes through ftp, but I cannot figure out which Wiki page gives me the specific instructions I need to do this. Can somebody please point me to the correct page?

Thanks,
Ira Nayman

PS: It would be a good idea, for people who have signed up after 2009, to make clear on the admin log in page that it will not work for us. You might want to either paste the instructions we need to get things going through ftp into that page, or at least add a link that will take us to the specific Wiki page with the instructions. Thanks.
FollesGuy

Return to Help Center