HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:19 am

@fed-up: can you elaborate a bit more on what you are doing? Specifically by what you mean by "the ftp site"?

@ofbloodandmagic: Unfortunately, SiteAdmin is broken in that it does not allow new users in or existing users that change their forum password. There is no known estimate for when this will be fixed, though SiteAdmin is not essential to the running of a comic on CG so you can get away without it.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby MissWoof on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:28 pm

I just signed up for an account and when I went to verify I did not see the verified email thing until i tried it three times. Since I verified with the code three times will that affect my sign-up? I just wanted to know because I don't want to wait a long time and just find out I screwed it up.
MissWoof

Postby fed-up on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Dr Neo Lao wrote:@fed-up: can you elaborate a bit more on what you are doing? Specifically by what you mean by "the ftp site"?

Going to <http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com:8080/cgi-bin/lost_password.cgi>, typing in username "fed-up" and a new password gives me
Username not found! Contact a wrangler on the forums.

Back to Login

E-Mail has been sent

Password changes to FTP and siteadmin take effect immediately,
password changes to members.keenspace.com take effect at 2AM
Lost Password

Going to <http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com/>, typing in username "fed-up" and my forum password gives me:
Could not connect to the Master databaseForum Username fed-up not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)

Please see below for possible correct spellings:

fed-up

Logout to try again (hit cancel)

Cutting and pasting the fed-up listed as a possible correct spelling gives me the same output.

Using an ftp server to go to: <ftp://fed-up.comicgenesis.com/> and typing in username "fed-up" and my forum password (which is the same as the one I tried to set using the lost password above) gives me an error.

Finally, going to <http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com:8080/cgi-bin/web-ftp.cgi> and typing in username "fed-up" and my password gives me:
Login failed
Returning to login screen...

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give you all the error messages I could in case it would help with debugging the problem.
fed-up

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:32 am

Going to http://fed-up.comicgenesis.com/ returns a "forbidden" message, so there's no index.html page on there yet. Which is odd because the server will generally generate one until you upload something (the default being either the original comic sample that was submitted on sign up or a flat, black screen).

The dash is fairly rare in CG account names, so that one might be what is causing you to get stuffed around.

Note that SiteAdmin is borked and won't let new users in (registered after May 2009). Don't bother spending the energy trying to log into SiteAdmin, you'll just make yourself angry.

Here are a couple of different options you can feed into CG's built-in WebFTP client:

fed&ndash;up.comicgenesis.com
fed&#8211;up.comicgenesis.com
fed&#8722;up.comicgenesis.com

These three are different ways of encoding a dash (minus sign), which may help (or might not). Give them a try and see if you can log into WebFTP that way.

If none of those three work, you'll probably need to use a third-party FTP program. I use and recommend Filezilla, it is stable, available for most platforms and known to work with CG.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby FollesGuy on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:06 am

Hi,

Problem seems to have been solved.

Thanks,
Ira Nayman
Delicate Negotiations

PS: I still think it would be helpful if, on the login page that newbies cannot access, you had instructions for what we needed to do, or, at the very least, a link to the Wiki file that has the instructions.
FollesGuy

Postby Rick Awkward on Sat May 22, 2010 8:24 am

Hello, Ive recently activated my comic account

http://ishotmyboss.comicgenesis.com/

But the sample I had sent never appeared, I spent all week trying to upload the first comic using the steps in the tutorials with the smartFTP client. And the auto update never took effect. So I've had a blank page all week. There was never a sample image in the public html folder to begin with when I first used the ftp client. I've resubmitted the image into the workspace comic folder several times, with changed names for the next day (20100521, 20100522, etc.), hoping the auto update would use it. But the next morning, when I check around 8 am, the page is unchanged. I have the auto update set for midnight my time, PST.

Any ideas? Or any more information you need from me?
Rick Awkward

Postby Ickole14 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:40 am

Okay, I just recently signed up a second comic. I recieved all e-mails, passwords, and confirmation codes without any problems. Yesterday, June 4th was the day I received my password. I can currently get into the ftp account with no problems. However when I actually visit my site http://yinandyong.comicgenesis.com I get this message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.14 (FreeBSD) mod_fcgid/2.3.4 Server at yinandyong.comicgenesis.com Port 80

There doesn't appear to be any problems with the templates, so I'm just a little mystified as to what I should or can do to fix it.
Ickole14

Postby Shadow_Theory on Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:59 am

I am having the same problem. I can overwrite dailytemplate.html and indextemplate.html, but I cannot otherwise add or modify files through FTP. I notice that the permissions are r/w for public, owner, and group on the templates but r/w for owner and r only for group and public for everything else. Perhaps the user's FTP account isn't getting set as the owner?

A little bit of extra info...
Site link: http://shadowtheory.comicgenesis.com
I used shadowtheory as my forum name before I read that it needed a capital letter, and apparently ShadowTheory was too similar and so it told me the account was already registered. Went with Shadow_Theory, and found out I'll have trouble with the CGWiki. A bit after posting this originally, I gained permissions for the rest of Workspace, so I uploaded all my comics, images, and webpages in the appropriate subfolders of workspace, but I still get a forbidden error.

I have attempted Full Updates, Index Updates, and Regular Updates from the quickadmin, which took and gave no error but did nothing. If I load the original sample comic that I submitted during the signup process through FTP, my computer fails to open it with a decompression error. I double checked and can open the original file still on my computer, so it was not corrupted when I submitted it.

I am running on Ubuntu Linux 10.04 and have accessed the FTP through Filezilla as well as mounted the FTP account as a folder through the "Connect to Server..." option. Both encountered similar problems.
Shadow_Theory

Postby Ickole14 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:26 pm

Everything appears to be fixed. My comic shows up just fine now, as does Shadow_Theory's it looks like. Thanks for whoever looked into it.
Ickole14

Postby trinamic_trio on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:06 am

Hi, I filled out the sign up form about 5 hours ago and still have yet to get an email. I thought it only took an hour (at the least) to send?
trinamic_trio

Postby elefant on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:48 am

Hi, I recently applied to CG, and received the email about verifying my address. However, the email verification page doesn't seem to be working: http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com:8080/ ... eation.cgi

I tried multiple browsers, and none of them could render the page. Please let me know what to do next. Thx.
elefant

Postby TruFaxLtd on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:42 pm

I'm sure I'm overlooking some step here...I can't seem to connect through ftp at all, my admin and forum accounts seem to be activated and have been for about a week. Any help appreciated.
TruFaxLtd

Postby [AngelSkin] on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Okay, so, feeling like total tool here, I need help. I cannot log into the comicgenesis site - it keeps telling me that my email is not valid. I looked into the CGWiki and did the steps etc etc but I can't log in and I just want to post my comic T_T what am I doing wrong? I don't get it >>;; Please help meeeee ;-;
[AngelSkin]

Postby elefant on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Do we have to log in to the forum first, and then log in to our siteadmin account?

My forum username and comic name are different. How does the siteadmin know which comic is mine if I log in with my forum username?
elefant

Postby peterabnny on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:47 am

elefant wrote:Do we have to log in to the forum first, and then log in to our siteadmin account?

I don't think so. I've been able to log in to the forums since I first got my account some time ago. But I still can't log in to the siteadmin to UL my artwork. :(
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby Blastedbeet on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm having the same problem as elefant: just signed up and got an email with a link to a verification page that doesn't work. :(
Blastedbeet

Postby Admiralsquish on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:51 am

I'm... Not honestly sure what's going on. I finally got my acceptance email and then made a forum account and a password. But my accountname site keeps giving me a 403 forbidden error and whenever I login, it takes me to a blank page. It tells me my username's invalid when I try to log into my siteadmin page. I can't honestly figure out what's wrong.
Admiralsquish

Postby Packrat on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:35 pm

aha. my twice yearly visit pans out.
odd that, even after a few years here, i'm not listed as a member yet.

or i couldn't find the comic with the page search thing.

RIGHT! back to creating another ghetto then, right?

ME? gonna do the year's updates soon. (RSN. change dates and all that first)

ftp.packrat.comicgeneisi.com still work?

tks.

packrat
packrat, area163 SF, luddite, writer, pat's petri-dish productions, canadian, eh? http://packrat.comicgenesis.com
http://youtube.ca/area163
Packrat
Regular Poster

Postby descamilla on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:49 am

I signed up to join comicgenesis yesterday and received the e-mail verification. It has a link to: http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com:8080/ ... eation.cgi

Well, when I follow that link it always says "The connection has timed out. The server at siteadmin.comicgenesis.com is taking too long to respond." Is the site down? Or is there some adjustment that needs to be made to my web browser or something?
descamilla

Postby General Interest on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:38 am

I have the same problem as elefant, can't get to the verify page.

EDIT: It worked from my PC at home.
Last edited by General Interest on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
General Interest

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center