Cookout 2010: Omaha

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.
Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Cookout 2010: Omaha

Post by Cortland »

Long time no see, everybody! :D

Vivian and I had a great time at the cookout in Nashville last year, and since it sounds like there's some doubt as to who might host it in 2010, we'd like to offer to have it at our place in Omaha. It would be much more low-key than in years past, without renting hotel ballrooms to host everybody, but we'll open up our home to as many as we can (comfortably) fit. We could also rent some space at a nearby park for some outdoor grilling, and there are plenty of things to do around town, including a few museums, the Henry Doorly Zoo, and more.

We'd plan on a four-day weekend at the start of June, from Thursday, June 3 to Sunday, June 6. I can reserve a block of rooms at a nearby hotel once we get a tentative headcount and plan other things as we go. Who's up for a cookout in Corn Country?
Image Image

Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Re: Cookout 2010: Omaha

Post by Ekolter »

We'll see if we can make it.

Also don't forget to cross reference this in GD so everyone can see it :)

Dragonkingdoms
Regular Poster

Post by Dragonkingdoms »

I wouldn't mind coming along. In fact, I think this would be a better idea than what I had planned to do last fall (I could always organize one in the future). Omaha will be a nice change of venue.

Tim
Cartoon Hero

Post by Tim »

Apparently my post disappeared due to the forum switch, but basically I was saying that there's a possibility I could make it this year. We'll see how things progress.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!

Aeridus
Cartoon Hero

Post by Aeridus »

Weird, my post disappeared too. I'm still up for it. :D
Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer

Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ekolter »

Anything new?

Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Post by Cortland »

Not just yet. It sounds like we'll be having a much smaller cookout this year than in years past, which is fine by me, personally. That means we'd be able to have everyone over to our new house, which means we won't need to rent a hotel ballroom to have everyone together. I will scout out a couple nearby hotels for incoming guests and perhaps get a picnic shelter and a nearby park if we'd like to do some outdoor grilling on Saturday for the cookout.

I've also started compiling a list of things to do in Omaha and can give this to Fading Aura so we can update the website for this year. We have a couple museums in Omaha as well as the Henry Doorly Zoo. A couple CGers have expressed interest in visiting the Omaha Jitterbugs for a swing dance on Friday as well.
Image Image

Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Post by Cortland »

If anybody's interested, I've updated the cookout website with some basic information about this year's cookout and on how to RSVP. I'll post more information as the big date approaches.
Image Image

Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ekolter »

Still in awe it's in it's 7th year!

Nyke
Cartoon Villain

Post by Nyke »

I came all the way back over here to say I'm up for it. Mom will be with me, as it's too far for just me.
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Post by Cortland »

If anybody is planning on buying tickets to fly to Omaha, around now is traditionally the best time of year to get a low fare. Since it sounds like not many people plan on flying in this time around, I can plan on playing chauffeur to pick up anyone who arrived at the Eppley airport.
Image Image

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

I unfortunately can't make it. I made a trip to San Jose, CA for Further Confusion, had a good time. I now have to pay the credit cards off before my next trip to Anthrocon in late June. If I'm lucky, one will be 75% freed up and the other will be on it's way down.

Hopefully by the time it hits, I can get a few things straightened out and my comic restarted.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!

Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Post by Cortland »

The cookout is less than two months away now, so I should give everyone on update on where things stand so far. It looks like we'll have a fairly small crowd compared to years past, and this means Vivian and I can easily have everyone at our house in Bellevue for the cookout (eliminating the need to reserve a hotel ballroom and splitting the cost via a registration fee). We have a grill to use and a TV downstairs for video games and movies.

For accommodations, I reserved a couple rooms at the Best Western Hotel near our house: 305 N. Fort Crook Rd., Bellevue, NE 68005-4698, (402) 293-1600. Rooms have two queen beds and are being held under the name "Matthew Johnson." The cost is $79 on Thursday night, $89 on Saturday and Sunday. For anybody flying into town (and as of now, it looks like only Tim And Aerdius, I believe? Maybe DK?) Let us know when you'll be arriving and Vivian or I can pick you up at the airport and shuttle back and forth from the hotel. (The only hotels that provide shuttle service from the Omaha airport are much more expensive and located downtown.)

Vivian and I have also been brainstorming things we can do while in Omaha, including a trip to Henry Doorly Zoo, visiting the Joslyn art museum or Bemis center for contemporary arts, and touring the old market if the weather's nice. Some Comic Genners (OK, Vort and Michelle) have also expressed interest in attending a swing dance with the Omaha Jitterbugs. Would anybody else be up for that?
Image Image

Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ekolter »

I have to say we're now a big maybe since Ryan's had surgery. It's going to take awhile for him to heal and get up to speed.

Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Post by Cortland »

Just take care of Ryan in the meantime, Beth, and we'll see you guys when we see you. :(

In other news, Vivian and I made up a tentative itinerary of things to do while in Omaha and posted it on the cookout website. I'm fairly sure we won't be bored, but we wanted to toss out a few ideas just in case.

One week before the cookout, I'll be closing the (currently open) Facebook event so we can post our address and directions to our house. If anybody would like directions outside of Facebook, please PM me and I'll fill you in.
Image Image

Aeridus
Cartoon Hero

Post by Aeridus »

So I guess we're still looking at 5-19 people coming? Would be nice if more people could definitely pin down if they can come, I'd like to share a hotel room if that's possible.
Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer

Cortland
Cartoon Hero

Post by Cortland »

We have a total of five confirmed guests on Facebook with 14 maybes (some who I've learned via PM will be attending, others I'm guessing probably won't). My unofficial count of definite attendees is around six or seven, not including Vivian and me. If anybody's sitting on the fence, please jump off soon. We're going to have to start planning out sleep space and food fairly soon. We now have a working grill, so the cookout portion of the cookout is definitely happening.
Image Image

Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ekolter »

We're unable to come, especially with Ryan's recent surgery. Granted he's back at work finally, his stamina isn't what it used to be and probably won't be for a while. On top of that we're moving at the end of July. Sad thing is, we have yet to pick a place. Need to get on that, eh. :-?

Dragonkingdoms
Regular Poster

Post by Dragonkingdoms »

That count isn't much different from last year (20?), I believe. Maybe by a few people?

Barring the unforeseen, I will be at this cookout!

Tim
Cartoon Hero

Post by Tim »

Sorry, I don't think I'll be able to make it this year. Gotta keep costs down, plus I only just remembered that it's mid-May (where does the time go?) and time to arrange such a trip is pretty much gone.

I think it's great that the tradition continues (good on you, Cort!) and here's hoping I can make it to Cookout 8, wherever it may be.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!