Fripperies and Preoccupations: For Between Updates

Talk to the creators of Drow Love and discuss this DnD-based comic.
Yubi Shines
Regular Poster

Fripperies and Preoccupations: For Between Updates

Post by Yubi Shines »

With the new Tuesday-Thursday schedule, there's much less to occupy y'all readers, so I propose this:

On the non-update days, particularly the weekends, Things may be posted here by us players. They can be other projects we've been noodling with, character sketches, whatever idiot things we come up with that makes the world a little bit worse for it being here, anything. It''ll be like a grab bag of horror and hatred. All for you.

Today is Tuesday with the requisite page, but since Yubi is a gigantic dorfus and didn't get the last few pages done on time, Yubi will give you, um, a thing.

Sketches for Autem's jackets, when her vest had to be replaced. Lumi has described Autem has the most plain-looking person with green hair and yellow eyes he's ever seen, and that's very deliberate. It's both from my own preferences* and her personality: So much of her instinct is to blend in to the background.

My costume references are mostly Renaissance coats, though right now in the comic she's wearing a thick grey hussar jacket.

* At least Autem wears colours. All I wear is black. Everything goes with black, especially more black.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

vennificus

Re: Fripperies and Preoccupations: For Between Updates

Post by vennificus »

We, the people, demand more of these.... things
Expect naught of me, for to expect something of me is to fail to see me for what I truly am. In your case, this is simply, unexpected.
~Myself on many occasions

Yubi Shines
Regular Poster

Post by Yubi Shines »

Bob will probably post a thing over the weekend.

I could talk about a fallen angel character (unrelated to DLiTL, perhaps thankfully) that's been stabbing me in the gut with how he refuses to be drawn the way I see him. It's a good thing Barnaby's being written and not consistently drawn in action like Autem is, or I'd have to eat his eyes.

He finally deigned to be drawn in this doodle on devart. One could find symbolism in how he only looked right when I drew the present-day version of him, not the past un-fallen good-guy version. I just think he's secretly a contrary jerk.

Join me next time when I talk about the entirely unintended fate of an alternate universe Autem.

vennificus

Post by vennificus »

Fallen angels motto: I've fallen and I can't get up
Expect naught of me, for to expect something of me is to fail to see me for what I truly am. In your case, this is simply, unexpected.
~Myself on many occasions

BobTheDragon
Regular Poster

Post by BobTheDragon »

Oh mans, this thread excites me :B!

I'll totally post here eventually, I gotta find some flan pics I've doodled that are interesting, not spoilery, not blatantly stupid, and haven't been shown yet. THIS IS SURPRISINGLY DIFFICULT.

Yubi Shines
Regular Poster

Post by Yubi Shines »

Well, I finally drew a version of Barnaby that didn't make him look like a twit, but that's not what I wanted to show.

Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London to 2006, where I was much more active in the RP server AeonRO than I am today. Aeon is where I played the first iteration of Autem, from when she was nineteen or twenty-one or thereabouts, back when I was still calling her Yubi.

It was grand, but by the end, she had gotten stuck in a rut. In fact, so had the whole server, in a tangle of world-wide plots that didn't quite get resolved. When it was agreed that the best thing to do was restart the setting and begin from a blank slate, I thought, "Wouldn't it be great to revisit this character? See how she would end up if she actually grew up with a family and never had to experience a loony war?"

Thus was born Yubi, the scrappy seventeen year old Star Gladiator from Hugel. Hobbies include being a dork and running around being even more of a dork.

(Macromedia Flash, early/mid 2006? I've misplaced the original file.)

At the time, I was doing a lot of collaborations with guy called Ebb. Ebb is, in no particular order, a wench, a guy who can hold his booze, and a maniac that, if there was any kind of Big Brother, would have been arrested and shot years ago. We once had our rogue characters serenade an ooshy-gooshy couple with an improvised WILL HE OH WON'T HE song. A version of his rogue dumped rotten dead fish into a communal bathing pool that a group was using for, um, purposes.

One day Ebb asked me if I'd roleplay with his character Infernus the Everburning. A sadomasochistic freak with a philosophy that boiled down to "if you can't handle the pain I dish out, then you deserve to take it." Infernus was plotting to collect students to train and eventually wreak havoc all over the place.

You see where this is going.

(really quickass Painter doodle, just now)

So... um... in three or four days of roleplay time, I managed to get her kidnapped, half-drowned, stabbed with dragon teeth, dumped in a haunted coal mine, and finally brainwashed into Infernus's disciple, Lucine the Everbright.

In my defense, I thought she'd escape. Or get rescued(the kidnap happened right in front of an active character's house).

The moral of the story is, I cannot be trusted with a happy ending. Ever.

EDIT:
p.s. Oh, the punchline? At the same time that this was going on, I was managing a plot for a different group of people intent on getting revenge on the Schwarzwald nation for... something or other. Don't remember. It might have had something to do with the army of metal golems I had trash Prontera in Rune-Midgard, but I don't know if that happened before or after this plot. Anyway, a wizard and a couple of assassins decided to target one of the smaller less-defended Schwarzwald cities, blow things up, cause a scene, then run.

Which city did they pick? Yup, Hugel.

I don't know if "Lucine's" family survived through that or not, but I do know that most of Hugel's men were killed in the assault, so take it how you will.

Yubi Shines
Regular Poster

Post by Yubi Shines »

Nothing much to contribute at the moment -- hopefully later I can figure out some sketches of the Sitien goddess and some of its hero-figures, since there's some curiosity about those, but I'm going to be mad-busy this week. No promises!

I did order the ARINAEDOG shirt, though, and it is COMFY AS HECK as well as awesome.

Yubi Shines
Regular Poster

Post by Yubi Shines »

Hey, true believers!

I'm still stupid-busy, so the godsketches will have to wait. Because I have no survival instincts, however, I am participating in NaNoWriMo this year. Got a couple thousand words so far, hopefully I can keep the momentum going. I don't know if I can make the 50,000 wordcount, but I can hope for a respectable number.

It's a weird-ass monster-mash-up, with a confirmed cast of a ghost, two demons, two vampires, a robot, and possibly a satyr. I'm not writing the story linearly; I've got the beginning, misc scenes, and a very very not-kid-friendly piece that happens before the main plot. Here's some samples (of the kid-friendly portions):
Prayers streamed from Earth, like a multitude of snowflakes all falling up.

However you imagine Heaven -- a land made of clouds, an austere stone city, a dream of a place you've never been but always want to be, a symbol of unattainable perfection, a wonderful amusement park that you visit for a while and then return to the real world -- this much is true: Every moment of every day, wishes and requests flock towards it. Minor ones, children's hopes for horses and passed tests and winning soccer teams, and the major ones, for strength and endurance and a cancer that goes into remission.

It's a lot of messages vying for attention at once. It needs someone to sort them out, throw out the frivolous demands, categorize and pass them on to Higher Up.

There have been angels handling this task since the beginning of time. Boring, repetitive, depressing job, but necessary.
If the beauty of Heaven is a cold, austere beauty, all smooth pavestones and gleaming marble chased with gold, then the beauty of Hell is in sheer <i>excess</i>.
(Yeah, I write in notepad, with html coding. It's going to bite me in the ass when I try and feed it into the word counter program, lemme tell ya.)
On the corner between the fabric store and the library, there was a pocket-handkerchief of land that the city had set aside some years ago. The mayor had intended that it be converted into a miniature park, a pleasant patch of greenery with benches and butterflies and a fountain to cast wishes into. Good intentions being an unreliable currency in this day and age, the park had grown nothing but cigarette buds, and sprouted sleeping homeless by night.

That was a month ago.

On Sunday morning, Sere Grey came across the demon perched on a stained wooden bench, reading. There was black soil caked in his nails and the knees of his jeans.

The corner was a riot of colour. Bright stars of petals gleamed among dark leaves; they grew in excess, heedless of season. Sere lazily batted away a hollyhock slouching over the pavement.
"He's going to die soon," Sere said.

"Of course," Keele said to the air. "They get sloppy with their methods, picks a target not sick enough or has parents with their eyes open. Prisons aren't kind to child-killers."

"No," Sere said. "I mean, his brain, that headache he has. It doesn't have anything to do with the stress. He's an aneurysm waiting to happen. If he does go to trial he'll probably die before the sentencing anyway."

Keele didn't ask how he knew. The undead belong to no single realm, and are privy to knowledge that they shouldn't have.

"And that's better?" was all he said.

"You know where he's going. You tell me."

Bavette

Post by Bavette »

Now THAT is a new bubble of awesome on this awesome bathtub.

I demand you to give us the whole thing when it is done! For cultural purposes, of course. Think of the children!
You are exceedingly curious about people's fears and ask inappropriate personal questions about what scares them.
Cast Mass Charm Person.
Dustcraft

Yubi Shines
Regular Poster

Post by Yubi Shines »

It's totally not written in a cohesive way, for reason of speed :E I promise I'll post the more connectedy bits eventually. Glad you like it though! It's already made me write some bloody challenging stuff. Literally bloody. Erk.

Sheala23

Post by Sheala23 »

Fripperies... yes.....

I'm bad at this sort of thing, so you lot will have to forgive me. My creative juices have been sort of viscous lately, so I really only have old things and I hate this one but I don't know what else to put and.....

Well, um, I have a project I wanna do for drowlove, and I needed a test subject, so here, take some chibi vector artwork. :3

It's cool cause he's vector-based, so he can be resized infinitely and never lose quality <3

There's something about this I absolutely hate *^^ At any rate, I hope to roll out one for everyone! Hopefully this is fripperous enough. I will try and post more friptrocities in the future.