o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.
Alias Pseudonym
Regular Poster

Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

Post by Alias Pseudonym »

BionicDance wrote:For a while, the original SiteAdmin was still up and one could trigger a manual update for one's comic if one couldn't log in to the current SiteAdmin.

This functionality appears to no longer be present, meaning that any problems one's site may have will take 24 hours to fix after one sees them in the changes which one has made...which can, frankly, cripple a comic if the fixes are uncertain and experimental, or if one can't identify the problem and needs to try multiple things to find it.

Is there a reason the old functionality was removed? Can it be reinstated? Or is there a new ETA on getting SiteAdmin working for all users that happens to be...soon? I need to make some changes to my index page, but I'm actually quite frightened to try it now since I can't see and fix any mistakes with any kind of alacrity...
I've been using the old siteadmin for that kind of stuff just fine. Try logging in from here.

BionicDance
Regular Poster

Post by BionicDance »

Oh, sweet, thank you!

I must have been trying to log in from the wrong URL or something after I got my new computer; my bad.

Thanks again! :)
If normal is relative, then I'm an orphan.

BionicDance
Regular Poster

Post by BionicDance »

I take it back...I had the URL right, it's just that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Weird.
If normal is relative, then I'm an orphan.

Alias Pseudonym
Regular Poster

Post by Alias Pseudonym »

BionicDance wrote:I take it back...I had the URL right, it's just that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Weird.
I've found that if I leave a browser open with that page it stops working, and loading the page in a different browser or quitting it and rebooting the browser will get it working. I think it might be cookie related, so clearing cookies might also do it.

Martinandjunjun

Post by Martinandjunjun »

You know how it is still just suppose to update without needing manual updating? Well, my comic - for some reason does not do that.
Or it takes DAYS to. So if I needed something on the comic page NOW. I really need to get into Site Admin. But I still can't.
:(

Ricuchi

Post by Ricuchi »

Hi, im new here.

About three days ago I got my account created and tried to log into the SiteAdmin. But it wont let me...

I dont know what to do, is it possible to check to see if I even HAVE an account? Its ricuchi, comic name The Randomness of Us.

roblopez

Post by roblopez »

I worked on my site all day. Read all sorts of tutorials, made it look real purdy offline. Created several new pages for it, a menu, all simple but nice stuff. It all seemed to work offline. I loaded it all up and waited. At 2:00am Fresno, California time, only the title image changed. Now I'm not sure where to start. Everything still looks fine offline. *Scratches head.* Do I just wait until it updates again tonight, or is there some way someone can trick the system into doing another update?

I heard there's a betatest of Autogenesis? STrRedWolf still looking for guinea pigs?

Thanks.
ImageThe meaning of life isn't a noun, man, it's a verb. Love all, and life will be good.

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

@ricuchi: read the first post. SiteAdmin is broken.

@roblopex: start a new thread, post a link to your code and we'll have a look. If you have not already done so, have a read over KeenTag tutorial as that heavily influences the way the comic behaves.

Another one that catches people out is how to link from subfolders.

No, I don't know of any way to force an update. At the moment, new users are pretty much stuck with waiting for the automatic updates once every 24 hours.

For the AutoGenesis testing, I have no idea, but you may as well post in this thread and find out.

roblopez

Post by roblopez »

Much obliged, Dr. Neo!
ImageThe meaning of life isn't a noun, man, it's a verb. Love all, and life will be good.

roblopez

Post by roblopez »

SWEET! It updated! And it works! Now, who do I have to thank for this? Dr. Neo? STrRedWolf? Did the manual update actually take? In any case, THANKS!!

Oh, I read somewhere that the pog and banner features don't work for us newbies.

Still, I made a pog just in case the feature is enabled soon. Just for fun, here it is. Image Thanks again goes to the good Dr. Neo

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

No worries! Though the good Dr Neo needs to apologise for calling you "roblopex" instead of "roblopez". I gotta stop posting on the forums in the wee hours of the morning...

Elfcat

Post by Elfcat »

Hi! I've just gotten my domain name so obviously I'm among the ranks of new authors unable to log in, and the links people have supplied for the "older version" of siteadmin don't seem to do anything either. So my question is, stupid as it probably will sound, is there any way i can mess with my site without going through siteadmin? Or does this mean i can't touch my page and it has to just sit there looking naked, goofy and oversized until this gets fixed? (clang.comicgenesis.com)

Thanks for any advice, i appreciate any answer even if all you can tell me is i need to sit on my hands indeffinitely.
clang.comicgenesis.com

Lisket
Regular Poster

Post by Lisket »

Elfcat wrote:Hi! I've just gotten my domain name so obviously I'm among the ranks of new authors unable to log in, and the links people have supplied for the "older version" of siteadmin don't seem to do anything either. So my question is, stupid as it probably will sound, is there any way i can mess with my site without going through siteadmin? Or does this mean i can't touch my page and it has to just sit there looking naked, goofy and oversized until this gets fixed? (clang.comicgenesis.com)

Thanks for any advice, i appreciate any answer even if all you can tell me is i need to sit on my hands indeffinitely.
You can't mess with your site through SiteAdmin anyway. SiteAdmin really only triggers manual updates. You edit the html files in something like notepad or textedit, and upload them via FTP, which is completely separate from SiteAdmin. Check out The Gear. Though dated, it still explains everything.

Elfcat

Post by Elfcat »

Lisket wrote:
Elfcat wrote:Hi! I've just gotten my domain name so obviously I'm among the ranks of new authors unable to log in, and the links people have supplied for the "older version" of siteadmin don't seem to do anything either. So my question is, stupid as it probably will sound, is there any way i can mess with my site without going through siteadmin? Or does this mean i can't touch my page and it has to just sit there looking naked, goofy and oversized until this gets fixed? (clang.comicgenesis.com)

You can't mess with your site through SiteAdmin anyway. SiteAdmin really only triggers manual updates. You edit the html files in something like notepad or textedit, and upload them via FTP, which is completely separate from SiteAdmin. Check out The Gear. Though dated, it still explains everything.

Oh, i see. Thanks for the help! :D
clang.comicgenesis.com

Whatupwidat
Regular Poster

Post by Whatupwidat »

I lost my password some time ago. Now, I have requested a new one and reactivated it this morning so I could upload a new comic to my site. However, all attempts to log into Admin have failed in the three hours of myself trying. I've tried deleting cookies, refreshing screens, upper-case-lower-case, nothing works. I end up at the same page each time with the box once again asking me for the correct password.

Am I being retarded or something? What's up?

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

Now, I have requested a new one and reactivated it this morning...
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but by changing the password, you locked yourself out of SiteAdmin. Any new accounts created after May or any existing accounts that change their password after May get locked out of SiteAdmin due to an unknown error in the code. Existing accounts that don't change their forum passwords are not affected.

Last I heard, STrRedWolf was re-writing SiteAdmin to overcome this issue. At the moment, there is no ETA on when it will be fixed.

Whatupwidat
Regular Poster

Post by Whatupwidat »

Dr Neo Lao wrote:
Now, I have requested a new one and reactivated it this morning...
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but by changing the password, you locked yourself out of SiteAdmin. Any new accounts created after May or any existing accounts that change their password after May get locked out of SiteAdmin due to an unknown error in the code. Existing accounts that don't change their forum passwords are not affected.

Last I heard, STrRedWolf was re-writing SiteAdmin to overcome this issue. At the moment, there is no ETA on when it will be fixed.
So I buggered myself, eh?

Groovy. Any way one of the admins could email my old password forward or something?

Shinta_urashima

Post by Shinta_urashima »

I have the same problem as well I can't log into the admin and can't upload any of my comics or my banner

Menelaos
Regular Poster

Post by Menelaos »

So, from what I hear there is no way to get a banner approved at this time for two reasons. One being that no one is on the approval committee and the other being that SiteAdmin is down (at least I can't get in because I am new) so I can't submit it for approval. Is that correct or is there a solution I haven't heard about?

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

@Whatupwidat: Sorry, you've locked yourself out. Until SiteAdmin is fixed, you won't be able to get back into SiteAdmin. No current ETA on when it'll be fixed. To upload comics, you should be able to do it vi FTP rather than SiteAdmin. FTP is actually the preferred way. If you are not sure how to do this, see the Tutorials in the CGWiki. You should be able to do most functions for running a comic account (other than manually trigger updates) without SiteAdmin.

@Shinta_urashima: You won't be able to upload your banner, but you will be able to upload comics and templates via FTP. Have a look in the Tutorials section of the CGWiki for instructions on how to do this if you don't already know how. If you get stuck or have any questions, start a thread in the Help Centre and someone will help you out.

@Menelaos: Correct. Banners, Pogs and GenChans cannot be processed at this time for the reasons stated.