Quicker website

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Quicker website

Postby Lianweijun086 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Hey guys, I've been wondering if there was a way to speed up the load times on my comic. I used firefox's add-on, firebug, to find out the bottleneck for my site. It looks to me like it's my comic that's taking forever to load. Each strip ranges from 150kb to 200kb, but it takes about 20seconds to load each one. Is there a way to reduce this wait time, or perhaps compress my comics further without compromising too much quality (not that my comics are all that clean anyway...)?

Please, if you get a chance, do take a look at the site and tell me what you think. Thanks!
Updates Tuesdays and Saturdays. Any and all comments/criticisms will be greatly appreciated!
Lianweijun086
Regular Poster

Re: Quicker website

Postby BionicDance on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:50 am

Huh...weird. My comics are of similar sizes and they load all zippy-fast an' stuff. And, for that matter, so are yours; I just checked. Maybe the problem is actually on your end, with your own personal web connection?

One thing I might recommend is dropping the file size down even further, actually. I mean, our comics are of similar byte sizes, but mine are bloody huge, full-size comic book pages versus your newspaper strip size; might be that you could drop 'em down in byte-size without sacrificing image quality. I d'know if you're using Photoshop, but I've found that a JPG quality of 8 when saving seems to be about optimal...having just checked, tho, I see you're using PNG format and not JPG; got a reasoning behind that?

Anywho, just my two Republic credits; hope it helps.
If normal is relative, then I'm an orphan.
BionicDance
Regular Poster

Postby Saini-bug on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:57 am

I use png format for my black and white comic, that's because you can get more compressed file with png, but for a colored comic jpg would propapbly be the best. And because I'm lazy Iet the internets do the explaining why it is so:
http://www.webopedia.com/didyouknow/int ... if_png.asp
If you're using photoshop, I'd recomend that you save with "Save for Web and Devices" and in the new window that opens you can choose what quality you want to save with.
Saini-bug

Postby Lianweijun086 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:54 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, I use photoshop, and I've played around with the "save for web" settings. That's really the only way to save your comics... for the web. LoL.

So my options are pretty much png, gif, jpg. I'm pretty particular about the quality of the image, and gif-256 just wasn't cutting it, which narrowed it down to png24 and jpg "high" to "max." The quality of the jpg is excellent, and the size seems to be smaller than that of the png, but it lacks the transparency option, which I kind of need. I might actually take a look back at the gif, because if I can cut down the bulkiness by 50% while only losing, say, 10% of the quality, I MIGHT just go for it.

But, yes. The problem could very well be on my end. I'm in Taiwan, sitting on a 3.5g connection on my laptop. The signal isn't ALWAYS too great, but hey, I get internet everywhere... Thanks for the help, guys!
Updates Tuesdays and Saturdays. Any and all comments/criticisms will be greatly appreciated!
Lianweijun086
Regular Poster

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks