The Dreamaniac (reboot) Project

A place where posters can comment on the comic, chat with the artist and his friends who are in the comic, and discuss anything and everything geeky.
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

The Dreamaniac (reboot) Project

Post by Dreamaniaccomic »

Whippy sez "RESPECT FIST."
Whippy sez "RESPECT FIST."
Dreamproject.jpg (186.93 KiB) Viewed 11870 times
You know, I first started drawing and writing Dreamaniac in June of 2008. The first comic was uploaded to the site on July 6th.

Since then, I've had a few good comics, a large number of bad comics, an even larger number of comics that only made sense to three or four people and confused everyone else, and far too much filler art. I've been through three or four changes in art style, so many changes in format I wont bother trying to count them, and more missed updates (even accounting for schedule changes) then any webcomic artist should have.

I've learned quite a bit, though. I can draw ridiculously better now, I have a slightly better grasp on humor then I did when I started, and I even learned some HTML and a semblence of responsibility.

Now, I'm going to take what I've gotten from it all and go back to the beginning. Except this time, I'm going to do it right, and I'm going to do it professionally. The current Dreamaniac is on hiatus, while I find a new web host, learn how to use Word Press and Comic Press, learn some CSS, make a new website complete with character page, about page, blog, forum, ads, donation button, prints, etc, and then draw up fifty new comics to serve as a buffer when I officially launch the new Dreamaniac. And I'm journaling the entire process for 1.) kicks and 2.) a fun story to tell my kids someday.

Sorry about the sudden reveal, but if you need something to keep you occupied, you can help me out a bit with everything. It can range from writing down an idea you think would be cool for one of the buffer comics, to possibly tutoring me a bit if you know how to work CSS, or anything else you think would make the entire project a bit easier.

And just in case you're worried about the one or two quite decent comics amongst the pile of crud I produced, I'll be keeping the old site around, with a link to it from the new site. Thankfully I have enough comics uploaded where it wont go and vanish after a few months, as happens with most webcomics that stop updating on this site.

I'll be posting the journals I write on my blog. You know, the one you can reach through the link which says 'hubsite.'

One last thing: Nico, I would like to thank you for your criticism, even the parts I initially rejected. I was starting to lose enthusiasm and the drive to try and really improve the comic, to try and take a professional stance towards it. Your comments spurred me into thought about what I could do now, after I had screwed up so many times throughout the comic, and that thought turned into this action.
So yes, you will be introduced a character during the new Dreamaniac. I swear to it upon Whippy.

I've chased a dream for more then a year, and now it's only a few hundred yards ahead.
Your well-meaning but frequently incompetent leader,
Jake the Dreamaniac
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...

XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Re: The Dreamaniac (reboot) Project

Post by XIVcaliber »

This...is VERY unexpected.

I've been studying this conflict between you and Niko for a while, and have come to a few conclusions surrounding the matter. At first, I thought that Niko was simply nit-picking and being fecitious,I predicted that your ample amounts of pride and idealism would overcome. I never thought that Niko's criticism would do something like this, but, knowing how you all act (Because I tend to study the thinking patterns of my friends; creepy, but helpful), I kept it in the back of my head as an alternative answer. I figured that the Niko/Jake conflict would end at some point, and one of them would "win", on a metaphorical standpoint. Needless to say, Niko was the victor, though I was convinced you would pull through with your own ideas and be unphased by it, Jake.

But enough of metaphors, this is an excellent idea and I fully support it.
What is the true path to victory? I say start with Flashman's stage.

Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Thank you for your support, Elliot!
The whole thing about moving to another host had been in the back of my head for a while now, because it would alow me to have advertisements without having to profit share with Comic Genesis. I just had to make the jump from 'maybe someday' to 'by this date, and here's how you're going to do it.'
I'm also perfectly fine with Niko 'winning.' If conceding the point allows me to move along and improve myself, then so be it. Furthermore, Pride's not something I like to have a lot of. Sure, it feels good knowing that I've come this far, but it can distract me from trying to reach greater heights.
And I don't consider it creepy for you to study the thinking patterns of your friends. I find it a rather novel idea, and one that could be extremely useful in situations where, say, you recognize that one of us has been replaced by a double who doesn't match that persons tthought process. Which would mainly only be in the world of fiction, but hey.
Dreamaniac

niko2pico
Regular Poster

Post by niko2pico »

It's moments like this that make what I do worth it. Jake this action you're taking warms my cold, black, shriveled heart.
It's about damn time you cleared the hell out of this cesspool.
Andre, Elliot and I are always there to help with the writing.
I'm excited to see how I'm gonna fair as a character. But also I will criticize you if you make me/you/Elliot/Andrew/Mark/Andre/anyone a Jerry/Mary Sue.
So are you moving the forum to the new site too?
Y'know

Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

I can't actually move THIS forum. I'd be setting up a new forum, and thus your postcount wouldn't carry over.
Of course, if you're worried about your postcount, you need to take a closer look at your priorities.
Also, for clarification, I'm not 'clearing out of the cesspool' completely. The site here will still exist, although I'll probably use it mainly as a mirror if the regular server is down.
As for your promise to criticize me whenever you spot a Mary/Jerry Sue, I'm going to use this reboot to try and improve the writing of the comic, especially characterization. I want the characters in the new comic to be more 3-dimensional then the flat parodies they were/are in the old Dreamaniac. I'll also work with the flaws of each character, although it's a bit of a touchy point when the characters are people in real life. Will need to discuss this a bit with each of you.
Dreamaniac

niko2pico
Regular Poster

Post by niko2pico »

I don't give a shit about post counts. I was just wondering if you're gonna make a new forum there
Y'know

Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

I want to, yes, although I don't know how I would go about setting it up (will research that at some point.)
Dreamaniac

Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Right, I have a problem/question I need answered posthaste.
I've been working on rough drafts for a few comics, and I'm having quite a bit of difficulty figuring out how I should introduce each character. While I have the first strip pretty much figured out, I don't know where I should go from there.
I'll ask you guys in person, of course, but I'd like it if you could also post your thoughts here.
Here are the characters I'm having trouble with: Andrew, Elliot, Shelby, Niki, Nico, Andre, Neil. Will edit this list as I figure each one out.
Dreamaniac

ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

Post by ApparentlyTsundere »

Jake I happen to believe that this endeavor will bring only good things, as far a the characterization for the cast- just go with the most accurate representations of us you can come up with. I believe that you have been around us enough to notice miniscule manurisms in a way that this task is easily acomplishable. And if your worried about hurt feelings, don't be, I'm sure most, if not all, of us are supportive and mature (Niko) enough to take a joke based off of intimate details of our lives and character interaction with one another. I realize I have a 'temperment' problem as I'm sure the others are aware of their flaws and weaknesses also.

On a simmilar note, I think more attention to actual character interaction is more vital than just rough characterization alone. I would spend more time making stories and punchlines around the former rather than the latter. But I suppose this is just my opinion on it, so don't take what I say too much to heart.

niko2pico
Regular Poster

Post by niko2pico »

Maturity is not an issue in fact given the way many of you behave I seem to think that I may be the most mature out of all of us (to grossly misquote Nathan Frost, "What Niko's Maturity lacks in length it makes up for in strength.") Jake wants to be a comic artist and author professionally. Given this decision the best way I can be supportive is to redouble my efforts and absolutely eviscerate his comic whenever possible. It is for this reason that I offer Jake the option of choosing on which level I criticize him.

- Low 10% (reserved only for friends and people I like) This is the absolute gentlest I can be. I reserve it for friends who are still humble enough to fall outside the next category.

- Middle 30%-40% (What I generally give as criticism or if I hate your work but think you're a pretty cool guy) You currently fall here. This is just me stating the facts. I may use some rhetoric but that's just because I get bored sometimes.

- High 50%-60% I don't like your work and I will let you know it.

- Very High 70%< I hate you, your fans, your dog, and I especially hate your body of work
Y'know

Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

ApparentlyTsundere wrote: On a simmilar note, I think more attention to actual character interaction is more vital than just rough characterization alone. I would spend more time making stories and punchlines around the former rather than the latter.
woah.jpg
woah.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 11820 times
Thank you, Shelby. What you said probably should have been obvious, but I'm notoriously blind to obvious things.
*begins restructuring comics based on this philosophy*
Dreamaniac

ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

*feels important* :)

XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Post by XIVcaliber »

Lol@Ignoring Niko's comment.
What is the true path to victory? I say start with Flashman's stage.

niko2pico
Regular Poster

Post by niko2pico »

Dreamaniaccomic wrote:
ApparentlyTsundere wrote: On a simmilar note, I think more attention to actual character interaction is more vital than just rough characterization alone. I would spend more time making stories and punchlines around the former rather than the latter.
woah.jpg
Thank you, Shelby. What you said probably should have been obvious, but I'm notoriously blind to obvious things.
So this brings me to the elephant in the room (for me atleast) You consider yourself a good writer... AND YOU DIDN'T FUCKING KNOW ABOUT THIS.
Dreamaniaccomic wrote:*begins restructuring comics based on this philosophy*
And thus it would be another 5 months before they saw the first New Dreamaniac comic
Y'know

ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

niko2pico wrote:
Dreamaniaccomic wrote:
woah.jpg
So this brings me to the elephant in the room (for me atleast) You consider yourself a good writer... AND YOU DIDN'T FUCKING KNOW ABOUT THIS.
Dreamaniaccomic wrote:*begins restructuring comics based on this philosophy*
And thus it would be another 5 months before they saw the first New Dreamaniac comic

Ok, asshole much?, seriously Niko take that stick out of your butt. If you don't like jakes writing then just stop reading. It doesn't take 90 troll's posts to piss off a fourm so stop overachieving. My god, I dunno what I can't stand more; your pissy atitude about something you can easily ignore or that someone hasn't pointed it out in plain enough English for it to sink through your thick skull. honestly, if you think you can do any better, please, I would just absolutly LOVE to see you try. It's obvious that Jake could be better but unlike you he's honestly trying to better himself through practice instead of overglorifying himself by stating how terrible he thinks someone elses work is. If you actually step down from that godforsaken high horse you've inadvertantly glued yourself to, how about you go ahead and think of something helpful to say instead of what you normally would. Sheesh. I say this in nothing but lightening terms, of course.

niko2pico
Regular Poster

Post by niko2pico »

Removing stick in three two one... Hurk!
Thanks andre (for removing a stick from my ass in a hetero normative way)
Yeah you're right. First I talked to Jake and he and I came to and understanding and it was an honest mistake on both our parts (but mostly mine) that led me to flip the fuck out aboot the "good writer thing." So we're k now. And I admire the drive to improve though I did think that it was fairly obvious.
Also you're right it's time for me to either nut up or shut up. Which is why until I have the Philanthropy, V.R., Wii go to Japan, My campaign, or any other one of my many projects to a decent size and get good comments on it I will not criticize any of his non comic stuff (because that is how I will help him, and it will be critique not criticism) on this forum at least. it was getting boring for me anyway.
Last edited by niko2pico on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y'know

VonGentlemen
Regular Poster

Post by VonGentlemen »

Hmmm? What is up now?
I just saw my name right here.
What's the relevance?
If you want to see how smart you are, Click Here.

niko2pico
Regular Poster

Post by niko2pico »

Oh the usual hyper critical Niko pissing off someone on the forum.
Y'know

IceBug
Regular Poster

Post by IceBug »

niko2pico wrote:Oh the usual hyper critical Niko pissing off someone on the forum.
Oh, my turn again? I'd like to very much point out MY big elephant in the room, which is, even though I've told you to stop making intentionally inflamatory posts in serious topics, YOU KEEP DOING IT!

...and thus begins me having to deal with all of this crap as a mod for the next couple of days.

So, my ultimatum. any post after this that is not related in some way to the reboot project, and this is the big piece, non-inflamatory, will be moderated. Any further comments on this matter, send as a PM to me. Congrats Niko, you very well may have derailed another perfectly serious topic with your trolling. We'll have no more of that, m'kay?
Need Az ure Ne d it Az ure A zure Azu reAzureAzure....GWAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA!!!!!

niko2pico
Regular Poster

Post by niko2pico »

To keep this post on topic Jake should avoid having an update schedule cause that just causes stress and rushes him

He should also try his hand at animating I recommend this program It's called pencil, remarkably spartan program.
Y'know