The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Kevin R Brown
Regular Poster
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Kevin R Brown »

This seems kind of analogous to paying the Church to absolve you of your sins.

I mean, it's great that they donate a lot to charity, but it doesn't really change the fact that Microsoft engages in a lot of predatory market practices.

I'm sure Disney gives to charity too, anyway. Most companies do.
Well, the thing is, Mr. Gates didn't simply donate 'a lot' to charity. Did you happen to look through he and his spouse's website? They essentially decided that they wish to invest their capital in stopping a variety of Very Bad Things occurring in Africa.

Neither he nor Microsoft is a saint, but on a scale of ethics, I'd say that actively attempting to stamp-out death and misery on another continent has considerably more weight than a few unethical business moves.

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Phact0rri »

Kevin R Brown wrote:Well, the thing is, Mr. Gates didn't simply donate 'a lot' to charity. Did you happen to look through he and his spouse's website? They essentially decided that they wish to invest their capital in stopping a variety of Very Bad Things occurring in Africa..
You know most charities are by nature trying to do good things. Good on him for doing his part. But of course as I understand it the charity that is set up was his wife's deal, as she actually DOES have a bleeding heart and has done a lot of good things, with Bill's money.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Phact0rri wrote:
Kevin R Brown wrote:Well, the thing is, Mr. Gates didn't simply donate 'a lot' to charity. Did you happen to look through he and his spouse's website? They essentially decided that they wish to invest their capital in stopping a variety of Very Bad Things occurring in Africa..
You know most charities are by nature trying to do good things.
Ehhhhhh, depends on who you ask.
Image

MSPcomix
Regular Poster
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 8:45 pm

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by MSPcomix »

Phact0rri wrote:They fired the insane clown posse because of corprate image issues.
ICP were never employed by Disney, so it would be impossible to fire them.

I need to get a contract with Marvel, so Disney can pull the same crap they pulled with ICP, though I don't need an excuse to bash on Mickey.

Fuck Mickey, he's a giant rat. Certainly doesn't look like no fuckin' mouse! Plus, he's a slave owner. You'd think Goofy would speak up about Mickey owning a member of his own species, but that Uncle Tom motherfucker hasn't said shit.

Where's the reissue of Air Pirates Funnies, bitch?
Last edited by MSPcomix on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by McDuffies »

Jim North wrote:When you look at the part that says Pulp Fiction, huge sarcasm quotes appear around the word gem. But only when you're looking at Pulp Fiction! Don't bother trying to look back real quick, you're not fast enough to catch it in action!
Nope, don't see any quotation marks. Jim and Pulp Fiction sitting in the tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G
That's a tricky situation with everything of that sort, really, and comics characters are little exception. The movie rights of Marvel characters, for example, are a bit of a cock up. The folks that did Spider-Man wanted to have a brief cameo of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in one of the movies, but because Spidey is a Columbia film and X-Men was done up by Fox, they weren't able to get all the clearances they needed to do it. It's one of the big reasons Marvel Studios was created. Marvel wanted to clear up all that copyright malarky so they could actually do not only cameos but full fledged crossovers and team ups like they're doing with Iron Man, Hulk, and the rest of the Avengers.
Yeah, I've heard about that. Apparently, their ultimate goal is to make things as messy with crossovers, superhero wars and retcons in films continuity as they are in comics continuity.
Well, the thing is, Mr. Gates didn't simply donate 'a lot' to charity. Did you happen to look through he and his spouse's website? They essentially decided that they wish to invest their capital in stopping a variety of Very Bad Things occurring in Africa.

Neither he nor Microsoft is a saint, but on a scale of ethics, I'd say that actively attempting to stamp-out death and misery on another continent has considerably more weight than a few unethical business moves.
It would be if it was just "a few unethical business moves", but it's an entire empire based on subpar product and unethical moves, something that affects many people as well.
Anyways Bill Gates and his wife are probably not attempting to stamp out death and misery in Africa with some charity, cause attempting that would be grossly simplifying and misunderstanding the nature of problems in africa.

User avatar
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster
Posts: 754
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: omicron persi i 8
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Spaceprincess »

McDuffies wrote: there are lots of good reasons to hate Disney, but the most important one is that the Little Mermaid ruined my life( Ariel be my name) i still catch flack for that stupid movie.


Yo Ariel whazup?
everything is everything my man.

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Jim North »

McDuffies wrote:Nope, don't see any quotation marks. Jim and Pulp Fiction sitting in the tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Yeah, I've heard about that. Apparently, their ultimate goal is to make things as messy with crossovers, superhero wars and retcons in films continuity as they are in comics continuity.
And by "messy" you mean "awesome", of course.

yes you do shut up civil war was awesome
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Jim North wrote:yes you do shut up civil war was awesome
One of the IMPORTANT issues on which Jim and I share the same view
Image

User avatar
Tellurider
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2051
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: in a lab doing SCIENCE!
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Tellurider »

One of the things that the Gates do is provide research money for projects based on charitable stuff. There are people at my university doing research on powdered vaccines that you inhale, funded by the Gates Foundation. This would make getting vaccines into third-world, rural areas much easier, as liquid vaccines expire and need to be kept cool, and also if you take a powder that you mix with water, you can't trust the local water to be clean. Not just applicable to Africa. You can apply for grants based on the sort of research you want to do, provided that it fits with their charitable goals. Personally, I think that's pretty snazzy.

Also I see an opportunity to bust out this old joke!

What did Melinda Gates say on her and Bill's wedding night?

"Now I know why you named your company microsoft."
Image
updates Thursdays

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by McDuffies »

Tellurider wrote:One of the things that the Gates do is provide research money for projects based on charitable stuff. There are people at my university doing research on powdered vaccines that you inhale, funded by the Gates Foundation. This would make getting vaccines into third-world, rural areas much easier, as liquid vaccines expire and need to be kept cool, and also if you take a powder that you mix with water, you can't trust the local water to be clean. Not just applicable to Africa. You can apply for grants based on the sort of research you want to do, provided that it fits with their charitable goals. Personally, I think that's pretty snazzy.
It is actually. Certainly more constructive than buying every kid in Africa a sandwich and Bob Geldof record.

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Killbert-Robby »

"Dear Microsoft"
Hrm..........
"I need 50 large, so I can fly to Africa, where, after I've cashed your grant into one dollar bills, I will drive around the country in an open top convertible, throwing fistloads of bills at the locals."
......... now I just need to find a stamp

Honestly, I find Bill's restraint incredible. With THOSE amounts of money, he could literally pick any third world nation and turn it into a superpower. Or buy Sri Lanka.
Image

User avatar
Aerones
Regular Poster
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:51 pm

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Aerones »

Yes, but sadly the funds would fall just short of him converting Sri Lanka into a superpower.
Image

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Aerones wrote:Yes, but sadly the funds would fall just short of him converting Sri Lanka into a superpower.
If he bought Sri Lanka, it'd be his beach home, not an interesting side-project
Image

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Phact0rri »

Killbert-Robby wrote:
Phact0rri wrote:
Kevin R Brown wrote:Well, the thing is, Mr. Gates didn't simply donate 'a lot' to charity. Did you happen to look through he and his spouse's website? They essentially decided that they wish to invest their capital in stopping a variety of Very Bad Things occurring in Africa..
You know most charities are by nature trying to do good things.
Ehhhhhh, depends on who you ask.
The bits might not be stuff everyone believes in, and the tactics might not always be positive. But the people supporting them believe they are doing good. Least thats how I believe it.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Phact0rri wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:
Phact0rri wrote:You know most charities are by nature trying to do good things.
Ehhhhhh, depends on who you ask.
The bits might not be stuff everyone believes in, and the tactics might not always be positive. But the people supporting them believe they are doing good. Least thats how I believe it.
See, when you get to *supporting*, I completely disagree. A lot of people help from the bottom of their hearts, and freakin' power to them. A lot of people help because of guilt, or to show off. Celebrities pledge millions to some cause, show up, smile, hand off a giant novelty cheque. Whoops, papers say I'm sounding racist. OH HEY, LOOK, LOOK, HEY, GUYS, LOOK, LOOK AT ME, I JUST DONATED THREE MILLION TO A MINORITY SCHOLARSHIP ORGANIZATION! I AM SO HUMANITARIAN, AND A FIRM BELIEVER IN EQUALITY. I wouldn't bring this up, but the conversation is aimed at celebrity charity. Millions always help, I just really scrutinize the motive when its large sums like that.
Image

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Dr Legostar »

i'm hoping this means that LEGO's deal with Disney will extend to some marvel stuff and we'll have Spiderman LEGO again as well as other Marvel characters.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by McDuffies »

Cat Woman lego, mrowww

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Dr Legostar »

McDuffies wrote:Cat Woman lego, mrowww
um, Catwoman is DC, and they've already done that.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1975
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:23 pm
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by Terotrous »

Dr Legostar wrote:
McDuffies wrote:Cat Woman lego, mrowww
um, Catwoman is DC, and they've already done that.
I think he meant Black Cat.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Image
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: The 500 lb Gorilla Gets Eaten By a Mouse

Post by McDuffies »

No, I meant Catwoman, I do often mix stuff from those two, which is surprising since their output is so different.

Post Reply