Anime Discussion Thread

A place where posters can comment on the comic, chat with the artist and his friends who are in the comic, and discuss anything and everything geeky.

Anime Discussion Thread

Postby IceBug on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:30 am

*leaving cookie for Shelby to find*

Code Geass is awesome. Enough said. But, to be proper, Shelby can start actual discussion.

Side note: Found a good anime opening/closing? Enter it here, and it may appear in the newest folder in my Stepmania (任意日本のanimeの歌, or RandomJapaneseAnimeSongs folder!!!)! So far, I have stuff that you can find by searching "kaw" on flashflashrev and the Code Geass opening. Apparently, Japanese people have those letters conveniently in that order so I stumble upon some good random anime songs whilst looking for KaW/Banzai/Inspector K/K Bit/ :D /Oscillator X stuffs.
Need Az ure Ne d it Az ure A zure Azu reAzureAzure....GWAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA!!!!!
IceBug
Regular Poster

Re: Anime Discussion Thread

Postby XIVcaliber on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:37 am

I need to watch Geass.

The Hellsing OVAs are breathtakingly awesome, too. There's five, I think. I haven't checked in a while, the sixth one may be out. Kickass vampires with guns shooting the hell out of Nazi vampires? Over the top, but it follows the Rule of Cool.
What is the true path to victory? I say start with Flashman's stage.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:57 pm

If there's one thing I could really benefit from watching and should probably avoid watching at the same time, it's anime. I need to study dynamic art styles, but if I get into anime I might not draw anything ever again.
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby IceBug on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:11 am

Sad times, an anime thread without a Shelby...

Anywho, finished the full first season of Code Geass. Masterfully executed, well written, good characters. Personal warning though, it is pretty grim for those who are looking for a feel good anime...
Need Az ure Ne d it Az ure A zure Azu reAzureAzure....GWAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA!!!!!
IceBug
Regular Poster

Postby Dott_irb on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 am

Hey Jake!

Are you taking AP Lang next year? (sorry off topic a little)
Dott_irb

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:30 pm

If this had to do with me reading Plainsong in today's comic, please post in the Comic Discussion Thread.
And no, I'm taking AP literature.
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby IceBug on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:03 am

Back on topic, all. Anywho, finished Code Geass R2 (the current final episode). The actual implications of the final episode are staggeringly well thought out. The build-up was shaky when you are just watching it, but after the final minute of the last episode (yes, final minute), everything is made clear. Highly recommend watching it if you haven't, just, please, not for younger audiences (watch Episode 1, and you'll get it, trust me...). Now, I'm hoping Sunrise goes through with what they were saying and make a sequel to R2...

Also, the opening music for Geass is awesome. That is all.
IceBug
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Fuck yeah Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Gentlemen... Behold! This is Gurren Lagann! It is made of awesome characters, fanservice, giant robots, 50cal sniper rifles, intrigue ridden plot, philosophy, parody, self parody, exaggerated anime tropes, and awesome sunglasses.
Quotes
"Don't believe in yourself. I believe in you, believe in that." -Kamina
"Yours is the drill that will pierce the heavens." -Kamina
"I think Gurren Lagann is a pretty cool guy. eh kills furrise and doesn't afraid of anything... " -Greasy Old Btard
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby ApparentlyTsundere on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:36 pm

I'm late, sorry. Buuuut I may have something to contribute. :D. Anyway, code geass was pretty epic, that cliffhanger between seasons one and two killed me though. Too bad for the halfway sad ending in R2. Yeah so, I'm probably your go-to source for anime if you guys need anything. (because I have no life) like suggestions based on your prefrences or what not.

I'm not sure really what to post about, unless you guys want to have a riveting conversation about naruto or something.
ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

Postby ApparentlyTsundere on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:39 pm

niko2pico wrote:Fuck yeah Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Gentlemen... Behold! This is Gurren Lagann! It is made of awesome characters, fanservice, giant robots, 50cal sniper rifles, intrigue ridden plot, philosophy, parody, self parody, exaggerated anime tropes, and awesome sunglasses.
Quotes
"I think Gurren Lagann is a pretty cool guy. eh kills furrise and doesn't afraid of anything... " -Greasy Old Btard

Every episode is just a little more epic each time untill the epitome of epic is reached in the final battle.
ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:35 pm

ApparentlyTsundere wrote:
niko2pico wrote:Fuck yeah Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Quotes

Every episode is just a little more epic each time untill the epitome of epic is reached in the final battle.

on episode 8, I was like "TT_TT Nevar Forget."
on episode 9 I was like "-_- don't you dare think you can replace him," and she was all liek "*-* who is him?"
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby ApparentlyTsundere on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:54 pm

EXACTLY. What were they thinking? I loved kamina! I liked him way the hell more than emoing Simon. Plus those like 3 episodes where Simon practacly just sits down and slits his wrists...ugh.
ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:59 pm

ApparentlyTsundere wrote:EXACTLY. What were they thinking? I loved kamina! I liked him way the hell more than emoing Simon. Plus those like 3 episodes where Simon practacly just sits down and slits his wrists...ugh.

and then on episode 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937 i was all liek "wow Yoko how do you keep that hour glass figure?" and she was all like "I just got shot!" and i was all liek "Why is there sand coming out of the wound?"
Attachments
Kamina_sword.jpg
In keeping with the theme of overcompensation
(215.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by niko2pico on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby ApparentlyTsundere on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:46 pm

LOL XD. And was it just me who found yoko becoming a school teacher just a little disturbing? Seeing as how she just spend a couple years in the desert wearing less clothes than britney spears.
ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:42 am

Gentlemen... Behold! Trigun! After you watch this you'll be unable to ever, EVER take the satisfaction of seeing a villain get killed for granted ever again. But besides that and the fact the animation style is a bit weird it's a great series. (Oh look at me I'm Meryl Stryfu and I fight with like 60 guns)
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby ApparentlyTsundere on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:58 pm

Meh, trigun is probably right there with stuff like cowboy bebop. It was all right but not really my preference of old school anime. I prefer stuff like serial experaments lain if it's a 90's style.
ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:00 pm

ApparentlyTsundere wrote:Meh, trigun is probably right there with stuff like cowboy bebop. It was all right but not really my preference of old school anime. I prefer stuff like serial experaments lain if it's a 90's style.

You're right it is mediocre in all aspects other than the philosophy. IB people who have philosophy as a sixth subject (like me) go nuts for this kind of stuff, it explores topics that should be explored more often.
Is it possible to save both the spider and the butterfly?
Is it better to just kill the spider to save the butterfly?
Do you ever have the right to take another persons life, even in self defense or the defense of others?
For that reason alone I think it transcends most animes past or present.
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Mentlegen... Hebold! Gungrave!
It is probably one of the best anime starting places, because it is as American as you can get without having the characters eat cheese burgers and bomb countries in every scene.
It's a story as old as time. One about a boy who became a mobster to win the heart of the woman of his dreams, got shot by his best friend, then came back from the dead as a zombie cowboy to destroy a mafia organization, whilst being hit on by a girl who maybe, just maybe is a necrophiliac HA HA HA DISREGARD THAT is the daughter of the woman he loved and his 80 year old boss.
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby ApparentlyTsundere on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:43 pm

Ok, I'll agree with one thing, trigun is pretty deep...at times.

As for the other one, never heard of it, suprisingly.
ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

Postby ApparentlyTsundere on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:48 pm

LOL, anyone care to discus elfin lied? Or maybe just the first seven minutes? XD

I still can't believe I actually finished it. It was not conducive to my therapy. XD
ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Dreamaniac