Ratings

Think your comic can improve? Whether it's art or writing, composition or colouring, feel free to ask here! Critique and commentary welcome.

Ratings

Postby Alias Pseudonym on Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Ok, so what do you guys think is the maximum amount of gore I can get away with without rating my comic MA? There's no real sexual content or crass language, just rivers and streams of blood. No guns either, and most of the violence is directed toward huge monster-things (which have a lot of blood.)
Alias Pseudonym
Regular Poster

Re: Ratings

Postby SevenCurrents on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:23 pm

Borrowing from our friends/enemies at the ESRB:

EVERYONE
Titles rated E (Everyone) have content that may be suitable for ages 6 and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.

EVERYONE 10+
Titles rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) have content that may be suitable for ages 10 and older. Titles in this category may contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes.

TEEN
Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.

MATURE
Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

ADULTS ONLY
Titles rated AO (Adults Only) have content that should only be played by persons 18 years and older. Titles in this category may include prolonged scenes of intense violence and/or graphic sexual content and nudity.
---
-Enc
SevenCurrents
Regular Poster

Postby MSPcomix on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:31 pm

Do whatever you want, rate it X and piss everyone off. Stay underground and fuck the mainstream.

Or don't. Whatever.
MSPcomix
Regular Poster

Postby NeuroticThunder on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:02 pm

With the way you put it, it would belong to the "T" rating, maybe slightly below. I mean come on, it's not like 13-year-olds can't handle all that blood, and it's monsters. Bad guys deserve to die in blood, just like Ganon from the end of OoT. Of course, the color of the blood was changed since the first version of the game, among other things, but you get the idea.
NeuroticThunder
Regular Poster

Postby Wendybird on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:23 pm

I'd say blood is fine, but there are other kinds of gore I'd avoid, like entrails and splintered bones and excessive facial mutilation. Of course we don't have too much of that stuff in Dragon's Fall and we still chose to rate it MA, but I'd say our comic approaches the "R" line in all areas. We wanted to be extra careful. If you warn people it's bloody, they can avoid it if they don't like blood, and that should be fine.
Wendybird
Regular Poster

Postby VinnieD on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:55 pm

Well Web-14 is about the same as a PG-13 movie rating, and most action movies fit in under that one. I suppose the question is how often you see insane amounts of violence, and to what degree you'd take it. Also since we're in a drawn medium, and it's less realistic, it takes things down a notch from reality.

There's also the 3 strikes rule. Violence, Language, and Sex/nudity. It takes three for a movie to get an R rating. Though there's factors like setting, mood, and the interplay of events. For instance, violence in the middle of a battle is going to be taken better than cold blooded murder or torture. My own comic I rate Web-14. It has some violence, most of which is gunfire, though there's one off panel axe murder, however most of it is just the occasional ass kicking, most frequently courtesy of Nailbat. Nothing truly gory, aside from one decapitation, which also happened off-panel, though the head was shown.

Sex and nudity isn't an issue, since most of my characters CAN'T get naked. They still have a layer of all concealing fur. Some of them don't even wear pants. I'm not sure if that's going to be an issue in your comic. If you keep the nudity down, you can probably crank the violence up a notch. It seems to be a mix of the two that really puts people off.

Language I personally keep to a minimum, by just swapping out local profanity, for either fictional profanity or the occasional British swear like "bloody" and "bugger," which most of the audience interprets as rude but not offensive. Though these days nothing but frequent and consistent F-bombs get anyone's attention. Of course a violent comic can come off unrealistic if people don't swear at all. In real life people swear. It just happens, usually when we're angry. I'd say just swear as much as you would in real life, and it shouldn't be too egregious.
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby Alias Pseudonym on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:34 am

Yeah, I won't have any nudity or any real swearing, I'll just make up cusses like I made up pretty much everything else in this world.

Entrails gross me out so I try to avoid them, but I also like to try to portray the effects of things realistically. And also my next arc is full of zombies, which means that the dismemberments are going to come thick and fast, though only one kind of zombie really bleeds and one kind barely seems to notice. It's definitely T rated, though, and eventually we'll get to some kind of disturbing characters and situations.
Alias Pseudonym
Regular Poster

Postby Bustertheclown on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:05 am

I'm of the opinion that the effect of gore and violence is downplayed a bit too often. Tits and naughty words are all wrong, but blood everywhere is just fine? I'm not buying it. Honestly, if it's graphic violence, and lots of it, where the results are shown in specific detail, even if that violence is directed against monsters, then do your potential readers a favor and rank it higher up on the scale, so that they know what they're getting into.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Return to Technique Tips and Tricks