o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

Postby Alias Pseudonym on Sun May 24, 2009 1:00 pm

So, SiteAdmin seems to hate me despite my totally workable username. I've been working with FTP, but is there any none SiteAdmin way to force my index page to update other than waiting?

...strike that last thing. IE lets me use the manual thing. It must be a cookie problem.
Alias Pseudonym
Regular Poster

Postby Bellcountycomics on Mon May 25, 2009 2:53 pm

okay.. I've decided that since nobody here seems to be able to help me, that I may reapply for another account.. I'm so far behind on getting my strips up here that its not even funny... I, like everyone else here would like to make a name for myself in the CG community, but I cant do it if SiteAdmin is going to botch it all up on me. =P

I'll keep checking back here though to see if anyone would disagree about me reapplying for a new account. I'll in fact give it a week before making it final

thanks for your understanding...

edit: if there is anybody that can help me, you may also contact me at avesthefox@hotmail.com on MSN.. or Avesthefox on AIM or Yahoo messenger.. thanks again!
Bellcountycomics

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue May 26, 2009 3:44 am

The current issue is that SiteAdmin is not letting forum accounts registered on or after the 5th of May (or so) into SiteAdmin. A new account would not make a difference.

If you need to get your comics up and on the net, then you can do that right now, without SiteAdmin. All you need to do is use an FTP program to connect to your comic account, upload your comics into the workspace/comics folder and all the strips you upload will show up after the next time the server updates your comic (the server will automatically try and update your account once every 24 hours, 365 days a year). You don't need SiteAdmin to get your comics online. There is more information available about how the CG system works in the tutorials in the CGWiki.

You also don't need SiteAdmin to change the look of your comic - all that is handled by the templates (indextemplate.html and dailytemplate.html). Both of which can be accessed via FTP. You log into your account, download them to your computer, edit them with NotePad (or other program of choice) and then re-upload them. And then wait for the next automatic update.

In fact, pretty much the only things you need SiteAdmin for is to change your comic's settings (such as the rating), changing the time the server updates your account and triggering manual updates (which are only needed once a year, if that). Oh, and uploading the Pog's and Newsbox images - which you probably don't need to do in a hurry anyway.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Greenlightgo on Sun May 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Just in case you're curious, I am not a new member, but have been away from my comic for about 9 months now - was going to re-start updating and wanted to do a full reset of my webpages after uploading a bunch of changed .html files via ftp.

I am getting the same error as others, that my login is not correct, browser is broken, etc.

I do have a forum name with a capital letter Greenlightgo, i did re-set my password since the password I thought was mine seemed to not work today when trying to log into the forums. So maybe the re-setting the password is what caused a very old comicgenesis account to suddenly not work? I'm not sure.

I also tried posting some posts, logging in/out two times (making sure to log in with the capital letter in my name), but to no avail.

My site will refresh at 1am, so that's not a big deal, but I just thought you would want to know this has affected a very old user as well.

^_^

Amy
[url=http://glg.comicgenesis.com/]
Green Light Go: Insanity and hilarity are cheap, but true friends cost you money[/url]
Greenlightgo

Postby TheSuitsComic on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:28 am

In order for it to work you have to do it first?
TheSuitsComic

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks Amy, that does help.

Looks like the issue might be with SiteAdmin passwords being set up but not being added to the master password database. Maybe. I'll pass this on to Kisai and STrRedWolf.

@TheSuitsComic: Uh ... can you elaborate?

SiteAdmin appears to work for anyone who registered or changed their password before May, but not if a person registers or resets their password in May or afterwards. FTP seems to be working fine, so anyone who wants to update their comic can just upload their files via FTP (as well as updating the templates to change the look of their comic).
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Comiczone2 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:07 am

Dr Neo Lao wrote:The current issue is that SiteAdmin is not letting forum accounts registered on or after the 5th of May (or so) into SiteAdmin. A new account would not make a difference.
Ha! I was right! I mean, how unfortunate. Quite. [/gloat]
Comiczone2

Postby Whiteneko3000 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:27 am

Well, the forum account name is capitalized. Thank you. I think I can work the stuff out to manage my webcomic now. If I have any questions, I'll be back.
Whiteneko3000

Postby Amaya Fanel on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:56 am

Any idea when this may glitch is going to be fixed? I'm getting a bit frustrated waiting an entire day to see if the changes I've made to the layout of my new comic here.. I'm not the most HTML savvy person so I'm using a lot of trial and error to get it all to work.
Amaya Fanel

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:40 am

There's no ETA at the moment, though I'm about 90% sure that STrRedWolf is now aware of the issue. Check that, I know STrRedWolf is working on this. Kisai I'm not so sure about.

Greenlightgo wrote:I do have a forum name with a capital letter Greenlightgo, i did re-set my password since the password I thought was mine seemed to not work today when trying to log into the forums. So maybe the re-setting the password is what caused a very old comicgenesis account to suddenly not work?

This is useful.

It would appear that the glitch is not in the registration system, but in the setting up passwords system. So registrations after the start of May and password changes both cause members to be locked out of SiteAdmin.

Most odd...
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby ChickenFingersonRye on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:07 am

hi can't login ya know the usual problem
so anyway i joined May 29th got my your account/site is ready thingy on June 6th. i logged in and out of the forums several times after reading this thread. then waited a coupled days. i still can't log in.
ChickenFingersonRye

Postby Mycoffeblacke on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:15 am

Thanks so much. You guys have been a huge help, I've figures out what to do with my problem here just by reading.
A hardy thanks to all of you wranglers who invest so much of your time to help us out. We'd be so lost without you.
Mycoffeblacke

Postby Laundromatcomics on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:50 am

I can't seem to get into the siteadmin either. I did the password reset thing, and that got me through the FTP, but I'm still not able to log in to the siteadmin. Also, I've been a member since 2006 if that helps at all.
Laundromatcomics
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:58 pm

I can't seem to get into the siteadmin either.

Where you able to before hand? When was the last time you successfully logged in? And did you do a forum password reset at some stage?
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laundromatcomics on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:13 pm

Jeez, it was probably over a year ago the last time I tried.
Laundromatcomics
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Um ... okay. When you tried, were you able to get in? And have you ever been able to get in?

If you weren't able to get in a year ago, then you have a different problem that requires a different solution. If you've never logged in then it could be a third problem.

And as asked, did you perform a password reset on the forum recently? You stated that you did a password reset, but I'm not sure if it was the forum password or the ftp password that you are talking about...
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Quietlyrandom10 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi. My username for SiteAdmin was at first quietlyrandom and then I changed my forum username to Quietlyrandom10.
I first registered May 31st. And I have never been able to log onto SiteAdmin.
I'm in the process of taking your advice.
I've managed to upload a comic through FTP so it's not urgent, but here's the error message I'm getting:

"Forum Username Quietlyrandom10 not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)

Please see below for possible correct spellings:

Logout to try again (hit cancel)"
Quietlyrandom10

Postby Maqqy96 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:45 pm

Well, things have officially gone bad. Lemme start from the begining.

I am the artist/writer of Maq #041. I signed up YEARS ago for the account, but went to school for 2 years and didn't update. I come back, and I can't log onto anything. I finally get my FTP login to work, but still can't log into the site admin. But I figured I could work with it. I couldn't. My entire page is deleted. EVERYTHING is gone from there. Someone must have logged in and erased EVERYTHING.

So I have to start over. The comic I had was gone, and wouldn't work with anything, so I just signed up as a new comic. Was the only thing I could do. My old forum name and everything were forgotten.

I got the green light this week to start logging on. Only one problem: I still can't log onto the site admin. FTP is fine and all, and I'm ready to update a ton (2 years of comics is alot). But no matter what tutorial I try; no matter what instructions I follow, it just tells me my name isn't valid. It's been a MONTH of failure (first with my old site, and now a week with the new one) and I still can't update.

My sitename is now maqqy96.comicgenesis.com. My login is just maqqy96 for both the comic and siteadmin. I've tried resetting my e-mail, password, etc. I'm at wits end, and am ready to give up.
Maqqy96

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Don't give up.

You don't need to get into SiteAdmin to make changes or upload files (or change the look of the comic).

If you can get in via FTP (on either the new or old accounts) then you can upload your comics. You may have to spend some time re-naming all your files if they are not already in the yyyymmdd.jpg format (or .png or .gif where y = year, m = month and d = day).

When you have your comics named (if they are not already) then simply upload the lot of them to the workspace/comics folder and the server will move all the comics to the public side and create html pages for them. You can work on the look and layout of your comic later (which is done by downloading, editing and then re-uploading the two template files - CG does not have a web-based interface for changing the look of your comic).
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bluegoat on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Hey sir.

- I registered 6/8/09 and then set up my password and all today.
The forum stuff works fine. I've also posted and logged in and out like you said in your opening post, but when I go to log into the siteadmin it's all

'Forum Username Bluegoat not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)

Please see below for possible correct spellings:'

But I totally activated my password and all.

- I've never been able to log into the siteadmin so far. I don't know what I'm doing wrong ;c
Bluegoat

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center