Any Gardeners In The Forum?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1993
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:11 pm
Location: The Frigid Northern Wastes.
Contact:

Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Jesusabdullah »

Hey y'all,

I decided to try gardening this year, since I live off campus now. Anyone else?

So far I've planted peas (regular and snow), a mix of leaf lettuce and mustard, some potatoes and some carrots, and have transplanted some broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, a cabbage, some summer squash (I think I accidentally killed them though), tomatoes and herbs inside, and a bunch of flowers. I might plant beets and radishes next weekend, if I can get some protection from root maggots.

Some pics (thx facebooks):

Image
A planter of mine.

Image
Broccoli, nasturtiums and some other odds and ends I ended up planting

Image
My seeds

Image
Stuff in the house, including my girlfriend's avocados

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by CJBurgandy »

not quite what I was expecting from a gardener from the valley... *cough cough* Just kidding...

My brother was actually a master Gardener up until last fall (he found a job that paid double what he was making). My senior year of high school he hired me to work at the greenhouse. That lasted a whole of 3 days.
Day one: Memorial Day, at least 75 degrees out, so I was wearing a tee shirt and jeans. By the end of the day, my arms were covered in a rash. I was allergic to something on of the green houses.
Day Two: Hotter than the day before, wearing a long sleeved shirt and jeans, Rash had spread to my hands, fingers and neck.
Day three: Even Hotter, wearing a turtleneck, gloves and knee socks under my jeans, a scarf and a hat. Surprisingly I didn't get heat stroke, but my face was then covered in the rash.
Day Four: I locked my door, pushed my dresser in front of it and proclaimed I wasn't coming out ever again.

From that day forward, anytime anyone of the peons that worked at the greenhouse told my brother he was an asshole, he'd tell them they didn't know the half of it, he almost killed his little sister by making her work there.

short of the long: I don't do gardening. Allergic to way too many plants.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1993
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:11 pm
Location: The Frigid Northern Wastes.
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Jesusabdullah »

CJBurgandy wrote:not quite what I was expecting from a gardener from the valley... *cough cough* Just kidding...
One of my friends asked where the pot was in the picture of my indoor plants. I told him there were like eleven pots in that picture. XD

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by CJBurgandy »

Hahaha :lol:
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Killbert-Robby »

*Broccoli*?


Also, I come from hick-Italy, growing your own fruit'n'veg is part of having the citizenship
Image

User avatar
Jesusabdullah
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1993
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:11 pm
Location: The Frigid Northern Wastes.
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Jesusabdullah »

Killbert-Robby wrote:*Broccoli*?
It's good in stir fry and the like! I also like adding it to macaroni and cheese.

User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Bustertheclown »

Broccoli is good to eat straight, without dip or nothin'.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Rkolter »

I'll be doing jalipenos again this year. The trick with jalipenos is that once a branch produces some it doesn't make more, so cut that branch away and the plant will explode with more jalipenos elsewehere.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Phact0rri »

Bustertheclown wrote:Broccoli is good to eat straight, without dip or nothin'.
I love to snack on raw broccoli.

As to the former question, I use to do a bit of gardening, but haven't in a little while. I really would love to start doing maybe some herb gardening and little things here or there... but we'll see how that goes.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Jesusabdullah wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:*Broccoli*?
It's good in stir fry and the like! I also like adding it to macaroni and cheese.
Broccoli is like eating a little tree, except that it feels like eating an undercooked potato. It's a trio of horrifying appearance, taste and texture.
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Rkolter »

Killbert-Robby wrote:
Jesusabdullah wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:*Broccoli*?
It's good in stir fry and the like! I also like adding it to macaroni and cheese.
Broccoli is like eating a little tree, except that it feels like eating an undercooked potato. It's a trio of horrifying appearance, taste and texture.
Broccoli is like eating a little tree, and that's totally awesome. It's throughly delicious, and the neat thing is that what you're really eating is a giant cluster of unopened flowers. They are yellow.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Rkolter wrote:Broccoli is like eating a little tree, and that's totally awesome. It's throughly delicious, and the neat thing is that what you're really eating is a giant cluster of unopened flowers. They are yellow.
This isn't the kind of thing I'm going to debate, I know better than to debate food, I just happen to find the stuff disgusting. Also, boiling spinach smells like piss.
My other veg-dislikes are pure 'I just dont like this, cause"
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Rkolter »

Well, that's fair. I despise squash in all it's many forms. And I think Zucchinis are particularly evil and bad and are NOT food.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Ekolter
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2623
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:24 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Ekolter »

I hate carrots and I loathe peas. The only way I'll eat peas is they're mixed in a cheese sauce.

User avatar
Tim
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:42 pm
Location: State of WA, formerly MA
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Tim »

Rkolter wrote:I'll be doing jalipenos again this year. The trick with jalipenos is that once a branch produces some it doesn't make more, so cut that branch away and the plant will explode with more jalipenos elsewehere.
Whatever happened with your irradiated jalapenos?
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
I made a game. Download now!

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by McDuffies »

I've been delaying one comic project because I imagined in my head that the main character should be a gardener, so I intend to read enough about it till I manage to write a character who is obsessed with flowers and such... So far I've read nothing.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Rkolter »

Tim wrote:
Rkolter wrote:I'll be doing jalipenos again this year. The trick with jalipenos is that once a branch produces some it doesn't make more, so cut that branch away and the plant will explode with more jalipenos elsewehere.
Whatever happened with your irradiated jalapenos?
Not irradiated. I used a plant growth hormone. The batch of seeds I saturated with it grew wild and insane before a fungus got to them and ate them all overnight.

The batch of seeds I added measured amounts to clearly grew less healthy than the ones I did not add any to. They were somewhat smaller, and had fewer branches, and produced less fruit.

This year I'll just be growing them normally. I'd irradiate them but I really think that it'd do nothing (due to a weak source of radiation) or it'd ruin the plant (since it's not likely to make the plant superhuman despite what comics say).
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by McDuffies »

So if I ate them, I wouldn't become mcHulk? :(

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by Rkolter »

McDuffies wrote:So if I ate them, I wouldn't become mcHulk? :(
No, but you might grow a tail.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Any Gardeners In The Forum?

Post by McDuffies »

cool

Post Reply