o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

Read this post before proceeding! This means all the way to the bottom of this post!

Edit: You can skip most of this post, just go straight to the final update at the bottom of this post /edit

There are now sufficient numbers of people to have a proper look at this issue as it appears to be system-wide issue rather than individual problem.

The Problem:
SieAdmin is a little finicky due to the way that it works. Basically, the Forum, SiteAdmin and the CGWiki all use the same database for members and their passwords. So how you log into the Forum will affect if you can or can't log into SiteAdmin. At the moment, there are a number of people who are doing the right thing but still can't log into SiteAdmin.

The Basics:
First, we have to get rid of the people who are doing it wrong. In order to successfully log into SiteAdmin normally, members need to:
  1. Create a Forum account.
  2. The Forum account MUST start with a capital letter. Danny = ok | danny = not ok | dANNY = not okay | DANNY = ok | DaNnY = ok
  3. Members need to log into the Forum at least twice (Edit by STrRedWolf: Say "Hello!" in General Discussion introduction thread, and fuzzle McDuffies in Off Topic) in order to get into SiteAdmin PLUS...
  4. ...When members log into the Forum they HAVE TO log in with the correct capitalization of their name.
Do not post in this thread complaining that you can't log into SiteAdmin if your username starts with a lower case letter - you won't be able to get in. See this page for details on how to change your username. More information on getting into SiteAdmin.

What we need from you: Edit: No, we don't need this information any more. /edit
We need to determine where and how this problem is occurring. Please post:
  • When you registered, and
  • If you have ever been able to log into SiteAdmin, and
  • If you were unable to log into SiteAdmin, did *something* and were then able to get into SiteAdmin.
I'll be closing the other "can't enter SiteAdmin" threads and concentrate all discussion here in order to make it easier to determine where the problem (if any) is occurring.

Edit by STrRedWolf: A clarification here. You need to post twice, not once. The forum software is a bit of a stickler to boot. So, say "Hello!" over in General Discussion introduction thread, and fuzzle McDuffies in Off Topic.

Update (7th July): Okay, this is where we are at at the moment.Anybody who registers an account on the forum after May 6th 2009 is currently unable to log into SiteAdmin. There is nothing users can do about this, it is a server-side error affecting all users. Likewise, if you have an existing forum account and change your password after the 6th of May then you will also be unable to log into SiteAdmin. Existing users who registered before this day and have not changed their forum password are able to log into SiteAdmin without any issues.

What can you do? In the meantime, new members have three options:

First - don't use SiteAdmin. You can quite happily run your comic without using SiteAdmin. Just use FTP to upload comics to your account (the server will automatically run updates) and update the templates (also via FTP) to change the look of your comic. Instructions on how to do this can be found in the CGWiki.

Second - From the words of STrRedWolf: Use Quickadmin. This uses your comic's FTP login info, and not the forum login info. It's a quick and dirty hack, though! (and thus ends STrRedWolf's edit of a post).

Third - use the old SiteAdmin. Note that it is not supported and may behave in unexpected ways. Use only as a last resort. It can be reached here.

Update (10th July): The latest news is that SiteAdmin (or part of it) is being re-built. This means that people who currently are unable to log into SiteAdmin will probably not be able to log in just yet. However, when the new version goes live (after construction, testing and de-bugging) then everything should go back to working properly again. Please do not ask when this will happen or how long it will take as 1 - we don't know and 2 - the only person who does know is busy building the new version and does not have time to let us know.

For the time being: when? Soon. In the meantime? Apologies.

Update (5th August): There are several issues running at the moment that new people ought to be aware of.

First, SiteAdmin is not working and does not appear to be going to work anytime soon. Until such time as Kisai or STrRedWolf make a post saying "New SiteAdmin is running" or "SiteAdmin is fixed" then any person who created a Forum account after the 5th of May, 2009 or changes their forum password after the 5th of May will be unable to log into SiteAdmin. There is nothing that can be done about this (from the user end).

What this means is that without SiteAdmin, authors will be unable to trigger updates manually. The good news is that the server will try and update the comics once every 24 hours, but will result in a bit of frustration for authors due to the delay. Second, this also means that authors will not be able to upload Pogs or Banners since they go through SiteAdmin.

The other issue that is running at the moment is that new Pogs and Banners are not getting approved due to a loss of the Pog and Banner approval committee. This went unnoticed several months ago since there were no new pogs and banners being uploaded as new members couldn't get into SiteAdmin.

Both issues are currently being worked on, but no estimate is available for when they will be resolved. Any queries about these two issues ought to be done in this thread. Any other queries regarding running of a comic account ought to have a new thread started for them.

Any questions specific to SiteAdmin can be made in this thread. If you have any other questions about CG or running your account, feel free to create a new thread in the Help Centre.

Update: (December 15th) Mixed news. First up, SiteAdmin still has not been fixed. We do however have some workarounds.
  • Changing the look of your comic account is still done by editing the templates.
  • To upload data (comics and templates), use FTP.
  • Manual updates can be triggered via QuickAdmin (more below).
  • Pogs and Banners are still off-line.
Okay, so we have a system in place to allow people to trigger manual updates. This is done via QuickAdmin ( siteadmin.comicgenesis.com/quickadmin/ ). This will allow you to trigger an update only. So if you are in the middle of changing the look of your site or need to change things then this will let you get updates done faster than waiting for the normal update.

Login in to QuickAdmin: Use your FTP details. So if your comic was awesomecomic.comicgenesis.com then your login name would be "awesomecomic" and your password would be your FTP password. Don't use your forum details as it won't work.

However - please do not trigger manual updates if you do not need them! The server will automatically try and update your comic once every 24 hours, 365 days a year. It is not needed for you to trigger a manual update after every new comic is uploaded.

Also - if your comic does not update at the expected normal time (say, your comic normally updates at noon and by two it still has not updated) then do not trigger a manual update. Normally when your comic does not update on time it is because the server is under heavy load and updates are taking longer or something has gone wrong and the server is not updating at all. In either case, if you trigger a manual update you'll be pulling your comic out of the queue and putting it at the end - meaning that it will take longer for your comic to update.

Last bit of news: It looks like SiteAdmin will not be repairable due to changes in the forum software. However, Kisai and STrRedWolf are looking at changing the way the backend of CG works which will separate the forums / CGWiki and comics. This means that you won't have a single login but should sidestep these constant breakages. Any SiteAdmin related questions, feel free to ask in this thread. Any non-SiteAdmin questions, feel free to start a new thread.

Final Update: If you joined the CG forums after the 6th of May 2009[/b[] then you will not be able to log in to SiteAdmin. The good news is that you do not need SiteAdmin to run your comic account. Go back up and read this post to get more information on how to run your comic. Any specific questions that are not answered here, feel free to ask.

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

Having read over some of the existing "can't get in" threads, the common denominator appears to be that newer members are the ones who are affected but not older members.

Can we please get dates from people, specifically when they joined and when they first tried to get into SiteAdmin?

TheKarl

Post by TheKarl »

Here's my Timeline:

I first registered May 3rd

I received my account info on May 10th and the domain elkarlos.comicgenesis.com

I registered for the Forums on May 10th with the username: elkarlos and first tried to login to SiteAdmin.

I re-registered today, May 11th with the username TheKarl, because I had just learned about the capitalization issue.

I still receive the error:
Warning: Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/everything.php on line 617
Forum Username TheKarl not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)
when I try to login to the SiteAdmin.

PiggyLove0540

Post by PiggyLove0540 »

Okay registered around the 2nd or something not too long ago. Got my comic site approved logged into the forums and at first used lower case "p" than Changed my username to have a uppercase "P" and still recieved the error.

Picklejuice

Post by Picklejuice »

I may be one of those old Keenspacers who went on Hiatus and now needs to make a new account, but here we go anyway with what you asked for:

Registered: Forum: Joined Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:08 pm ... Although my error message notes that I might not have logged out of the forum on July 22nd 2007? Keenspace: earlier.
Siteadmin before: I *think* I logged into Siteadmin once, back in the day, to tie together my two webcomics and manage them.
Did something to get in: No

My activities:
In an attempt to follow these steps from the wiki:
. Log out of SiteAdmin (either click "cancel" or manually add ?&logout onto the end of the url.
. Log out of the Forum.
. Log back into the Forum, making sure that the properly capitalized name is used.
. Log into SiteAdmin. It should now let you in.

0. While logged into the Forum,
1. In Firefox, in the address bar, entered "http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com/?&logout"
2. The "Authentication required" dialog box displayed.
3. In the "User Name" and "Password" text boxes, I entered my id (with a capitol P) and password (same as the one I use to log into the forums), then click "OK"
4. The dialog box from step 2 appears. Infinite loop. No dialog box indicating I had been logged off Siteadmin.

After that, I tried a new step 3:
3. Click "Cancel"
4. The "login" web page displayed. I did not get a message saying I had been successfully logged off.

5. I logged off the forum and closed all tabs that had the forum displayed
6. On the "login" web page, I clicked Login
7. The "Authentication required" dialog box displayed.
8. In the "User Name" and "Password" text boxes, I entered my id (with a capitol P) and password (same as the one I use to log into the forums)
9. I got the following error message:

Your browser did not return the expected response Picklejuice

Referred from: No Referrer found, Opera? Norton? McAfee? ZoneAlarm?

User Agent(Browser) reports it is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
No Proxy Detected
Your Actual IP Address: 172.162.220.132
Your browser is broken
Browser status: MSIE 7: Working
Firefox 2.0.0.4: Working
Safari 3.0.2: Working
Opera 9.21 (8776): Working
Nintendo DS Opera: Not working
Please use Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari or Opera or something that supports HTTP Digest Authentication compliant with RFC2617!
Also you get this if you entered the wrong password, or have never logged out of forums.comicgenesis.com and back in after July 22nd 2007

Logout to try again (hit cancel)

10. Clicked "Logout to try again (hit cancel)"
11. The "Authentication required" dialog box displayed.
12. In the "User Name" and "Password" text boxes, I entered my id (with a capitol P) and password (same as the one I use to log into the forums), then click "OK"
13. The dialog box from step 11 appears. Infinite loop. No dialog box indicating I had been logged off Siteadmin.

Any input you may have would be appreciated. Thanks!

MSPcomix
Regular Poster

Post by MSPcomix »

I joined on May 7 under another name which I can't remember, then registered my current forum account after reading about the capitalization issues. So far, every time I've tried to sign into SiteAdmin, it says that my account is "not valid". The extent of these issues is pretty much the same as Picklejuice describes.

Anythingbutreallife

Post by Anythingbutreallife »

I made this account to remedy the whole lower case name problem on the 11th of May. My problems are as follows:

I changed my old username (z0mbie13) into this one, as it was lowercase, finished fixing the emails etc with it.
I still get the same error message when trying to log in to Siteadmin:

Forum Username Anythingbutreallife not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)

Please see below for possible correct spellings:

I am typing my password correctly. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Pretty much what Piggy said, but my username is entirely different.

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

Hmm.. it definitely appears to be newer people experiencing this issue. Both my forum accounts will go into SiteAdmin so I can't replicate the problem. Most of the older members likewise appear to be able to get into SiteAdmin as well.

I'll get onto Kisai and STrRedWolf and see if they can cast any light on this issue. Any new information that comes to hand will be posted in this thread.

Comiczone2

Post by Comiczone2 »

Hey there.
I registered on May 3.
I received my account on May 10.
I registered for a forum name that accidentally started lowercase (comiczone) and fixed it to Comiczone2, all on May 10.
I could never log onto SiteAdmin. Not once.
I hope this helps at all. Maybe, since we seem to have an abundance of new members with this problem, it could be server overload?

Comiczone2

Post by Comiczone2 »

Another theory.
Since I read somewhere that the site admin server or whatever has been temporarily switched in order to fix some bugs in the old one, perhaps the new server is simply not allowing new accounts, but is still allowing already-existing accounts to access.

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

That certainly sounds plausible.

I don't have access to any of the code and such, but I've notifed the admins and hopefully they'll be able to sort it out soon.

For the time being, we ask patience from those that have posted and continue to request dates and information from those who have not yet posted and can't get into SiteAdmin.

Bad Company - Matt

Post by Bad Company - Matt »

Ahoy there.

Bad Company started late April, I believe the 30th.

Got the confirmation Email, and now I can't get in, same situation.

Simple as that, unfortunately. I'll wait patiently, and the best of luck defusing the situation, gents.

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

For all those who are unable to get into SiteAdmin: be aware that you don't have to get into SiteAdmin to run your comic. The server will attempt to update your comic once every 24 hours, 365 days a year. Most accounts only need to access SiteAdmin once or twice.

So long as you can get into your comic account via FTP then you should be able to get your comic started. If you don't have an FTP password, you can get one via the instructions on this page. If you haven't already, then reading some of the tutorials might answer some other questions you might have whilst waiting.

In the meantime, we ask for patience and apologise for the inconvenience.

TheKarl

Post by TheKarl »

Dr Neo Lao wrote:For all those who are unable to get into SiteAdmin: be aware that you don't have to get into SiteAdmin to run your comic. The server will attempt to update your comic once every 24 hours, 365 days a year. Most accounts only need to access SiteAdmin once or twice.

So long as you can get into your comic account via FTP then you should be able to get your comic started. If you don't have an FTP password, you can get one via the instructions on this page. If you haven't already, then reading some of the tutorials might answer some other questions you might have whilst waiting.

That would work fine, but every time I try to access FTP directly through Internet Explorer, I get the message "Windows cannot access this folder: Connection to the Server was Reset"

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

...every time I try to access FTP directly through Internet Explorer...
Can you elaborate on this?

The WebFTP client is the only one you'd use a browser for (here). Normally you need an FTP program of some type to access FTP.

MSPcomix
Regular Poster

Post by MSPcomix »

Dr Neo Lao wrote:For all those who are unable to get into SiteAdmin: be aware that you don't have to get into SiteAdmin to run your comic. The server will attempt to update your comic once every 24 hours, 365 days a year. Most accounts only need to access SiteAdmin once or twice.

That's not the part I'm having trouble with, though. I can get into the site settings and WebFTP just fine, but I can't edit the guide info. When I go to try and edit the guide info, it won't recognize the username for the comic, nor will it recognize my forum name.

Doublefault

Post by Doublefault »

Registered two weeks ago. Got my confirmation email a week ago. Fixed my username so it's capitilized, but still can't log into edit my comic.
Any idea whats wrong? Is it at my end/the server's?
Last edited by Doublefault on Sat May 16, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKarl

Post by TheKarl »

Dr Neo Lao wrote:
...every time I try to access FTP directly through Internet Explorer...
Can you elaborate on this?

The WebFTP client is the only one you'd use a browser for (here). Normally you need an FTP program of some type to access FTP.
Yeah I figured that one out :P

Anyway, now that I have all my pages uploaded in the correct folder, how do I get it to start updating when I cant get into SiteAdmin?

Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dr Neo Lao »

...how do I get it to start updating when I cant get into SiteAdmin?
The server will attempt to update your comic account once every 24 hours, 365 days a year. Once you can get into SiteAdmin, you'll be able to specify when this update takes place. The default is midnight US time, you can alter that to suit your needs.

If you have a comic or text file in the workspace/comics folder, or a text file in the workspace/data/notes folder then the server will update your comic on the day that file is dated for. If you have several files dated in the future and none for today, then the server will not run an update. If you have several files from the past and none for today, the server will update all the files prior to today.

You do not need to trigger a manual update most of the time. A manual update is pretty much only used when you are re-building the site and want to see the results before the next scheduled update.

TheKarl

Post by TheKarl »

Gotcha,

Thanks for the help Dr :D