Insane Yet Awesome Idea Thread

A place where posters can comment on the comic, chat with the artist and his friends who are in the comic, and discuss anything and everything geeky.

Insane Yet Awesome Idea Thread

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:05 pm

Mostly so I can share and put down some of my own crazy story ideas, but you can all use it as well! Go into as much detail as you want! Say whatever you want about other peoples ideas! I don't care! *runs around giggling madly in circles*

Anyway:
Silence
The idea I had for a semi-fanfic of Eric's fanfic, which follows an original character and deals more with character relationships then Pro Trainer really does, in the same vein as Shattered Truths and A Sapphire Shines in Sinnoh.
Main Character: Shelly.
A sixteen-year-old girl. Born in Sandgem, her father left her mother when she was just five years old to go become the greatest trainer in the world. As if this didn't traumatize her enough, her mother died just one year later. The events psychologically blocked her ability to speak, and she's terminally shy and timid as a result. She was raised by Professor Rowan for a few years, but eventually sent to Eric's Pokemon Sanctuary, which the Prof hoped would be could for her psyche. It was, and the girl quickly assimilated into the community of mostly Eevee's and Eeveelutions, caring for them as Eric's assistant. At the beginning of the story, she has befriended Garnet, the daughter of Rosalyn and whoever the heck she gets paired up with (UPDATE, ERIC). Seeing this, Eric convinces them to go on their own journey as a trainer and her pokemon. Shelly's main reason for going along with it, though, is her hope that she can find and exact revenge on her father for leaving her mother so long ago.
Main Character: Garnet.
A month old Eevee with a calm, level-headed nature. Deeply affectionate for Shelly, who she serves as a confessor for from all of the young girls issues. The only being alive who has actually heard Shelly talk. Probably evolves into an Espeon, becomes involved in a relationship with...
Main Character: Celsius
An Eevee bred by Bill in Johto, he was passed from Bill to Bebe and from Bebe to Shelly due to his rash, brash, and temperemental nature. Initially considers Shelly to be somewhat pathetic, but Garnet quickly puts him in his place. Evolves into Flareon
Main Character: Galahad
A Ralts that was drawn to the quiet and timid Shelly as part of his dream to imitate his father and become a protector Gallade.
Main Character: Miz Shade
A Misdreavous who was baited by Shelly's dark feelings of fear and sadness, the first pokemon she actually caught. Feels rather guilty for nabbing such a massive source of angst and depression to feed off, whereas most Misdreavus are in danger of starving to death.
Main Character: Dr. Steele.
Invented and used in Pokemon Academy Roleplay by Mark, the Doctor has 11 P.H.d s, at least one of which lists it's subject as "Kicking Ass." Becomes Shelly's mentor.

... Oh, and Celsius's sister Fareni (also a Flareon) becomes the mate of Jake's Glaceon, Starlight.

This'll be inbetween Elliot's fic and the Pro Trainer Sequel, chronologically at least.
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Re: Insane Yet Awesome Idea Thread

Postby XIVcaliber on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:10 pm

AmazIng, my friend, amazing. However, I have something equally as amazing: The re-done Ways of the Blade.

Millions of years before humans populated the world, Pokemon reigned supreme. These Pokemon didn't rules as animals, but instead ruled much like humans did. The story takes place in a region of unknown name, the first island that Groudon created on the earth. This island would eventually grow into the mainland of Kanto, Johto, Fiore, Almia, and Orre. Islands such as the Sevii, Hoenn, and Sinnoh soon rise afterwards. However, all of the Pokemon in the world are condensed into a large island mass. This island is comprised of a central desert, snow-barren mountains, a volcanic mountain range, rich rainforests, deep swamps, and high plateaus.
Main Character: Vesacies
A Gallade that we see as a Kirlia before the story begins. He lived with his family in his small village until the Machamp attacked and killed many of his people. However, unable to go to the main city, Galladia, just yet, he wanders around the world in his evolved form gaining knowledge and battle experience, in order to avenge his mother, who was killed in the raid.
Main Character: Samuyo
A Hariyama that saves Vesacies from a rogue Weavile in the snowy forest. He brings him to his village where he teaches the Gallade the basics of combat. Vesacies looks up to him as an older brother. Eventually gets his arm amputated after a fierce battle with a group of Garchomp, making him virtually unable to fight.
Main Character: ...I forget her name, Jake, remind me of it. (Lucona's ancestor)
The fiesty yet wise elder of the Lucario village high up north. She joins Vesacies' journey in order to exact revenge on the tyrannical Machamp empire, as they have done many evil things across the world. She informs Vesacies of this and follows him in order to amass a great army to siege the Machamp city.
Main Character: Caclar
A lonely Cacturne with the amazing ability to use Needle Arm. Regarded as an outcast by his own people, he wanders the desert and survives with merely water that he absorbs through the ground. He has attained the ability to communicate with the desert Pokemon, and knows the secrets to defeating Garchomps.
Main Character: Medina
A female Medicham that hails from the eastern steppe. Although quite arrogant, she is a potent fighter, and helps the group fight off a Machamp raid. She develops a love interest for Vesacies later on.
Battle Dynamics:
Here, moves do not exist. However, genetic mutations occur from generation to generation that allow Pokemon to use special abilities. The Alakazam priests name these mutations "anomalies". They are extremely powerful, and usually a Pokemon with an anomaly can fight off a horde of Pokemon without one with minimal effort. However, anomalies drain energy, and require immense amount of practice to master. The main Pokemon with anomalies are:
Vesacies (Psycho Cut)
Caclar (Needle Arm)
[Insert Lucona's ancestor's name here] (Aura Sphere)
Medina (Fire Punch)
As for Pokemon without anomalies, we could just put it at they use normal attacks, much like those in PMD. However, many Normal and Fighting type moves are not considered anomalies. Some other exceptions are Bite, Peck, Wing Attack, and Water Gun (As fish Pokemon are easily able to spit water out of their mouth) HM moves are also considered anomalies. Many anomalies, such as Fire Fang, Night Slash, et cetera, are simply regular attacks imbuned with a specific energy. Others, such as Flamethower and Ice Beam, require a direct harnessing of that energy.
Environment:
Obviously, since this takes place before humans, Pokemon that are modeled after man-made objects do not appear. They simply do not exist, and most likely evolve after the coming of humans. Here are some examples:
Voltorb family
Magnemite family
Porygon family
Drifloon family
Bronzor family
Chingling family
Also, Rotom will not be present. Legendaries will be mentioned, but they are more, you guessed it, legend than reality. Of course, they exist, but the Pokemon don't know of it.
Now, only a few Pokemon are capable of making civilization. These include most human-shaped Pokemon, such as Gallade or Alakazam. Pokemon like Salamence, Garchomp, and Dragonite are considered beasts, and are considered incompetent of thought and ruthless. Nearly all aquatic Pokemon and animal-based Pokemon are also beasts. Some exceptions are Weavile, which are considered rogues, Nosepass, who have a civilization but do not speak the same language as most Pokemon do, and Magmar, who create their civilization far away from others, in volcanic areas.
Pokemon are not called by their species name, but by a name given to them because of their appearance. For example, Gallades are known as "sword-wielders". Machamps are known as "The Four-Armed Ones." Alakazams are known as "knowledge seekers". Cacturnes are known as "Desert sheperds". Lucarios are known as "aura-wielders". Garchomps are known as "sand sharks". Despite this, the universal term "Pokemon" is recognized by all of them, much like how we would call each other humans or people.

There's much more to come, I'll add on more stuff as I think of it.
What is the true path to victory? I say start with Flashman's stage.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Lucona's ancestor's name was Lutze, pronounced Loo-zay.
Amazing idea. The idea of 'moves' being genetic anomalies works well. You can easily imagine how, in the time it would take before humans began to appear, pokemon with said anomalies would breed more and produce more offspring due to their powers. I'm kinda twitchy right now, if I type anything in a weird way.
I love how you've given it all a kind of fantasy twist, which meshes quite well with pokemon in general. Actually, I told Mark about your idea a week or so back, and we generated a few (thousand) ideas about it, including...
The Old Master
An elderly Smeargle, the first to develop the ability to use Sketch, and more importantly, used it to master some of the most powerful moves in existence. Learned his techniques at the feet of the gods (legendaries.) Actual moveset: Roar of Time, Spacial Rend, Dark Void, Nightmare, Psychic (He can learn more then four moves, 'cause he's speshul) and Close Combat.
The Pokemon Gods
The Pantheon of Pokemon Deities, mostly undiscovered by pokemon, consisting of the least-animal like of the Legendary Pokemon.
Arceus: The King of the Gods
Mew: The Jester, He of Many Guises, the God of Intelligence.
The Lake Trio: The Goddesses of Willpower, Wisdom, and Emotion.
Regigas: God of Strength and Honor
Darkrai: God of Shadows and Death (Similar to Hades, he is not necessarily evil.)
Ho-Oh: God of the Sun, Herald of Arceus
Lugia: God of Weather and Storms
Kyogre: God of the Ocean
Groudon: God of the Earth
And so on and so forth...

The True Emperor
Tyranitar is well known for it's ability to conquer vast territories of land. Once every ten generations, an Imperitar appears, uniting many seperate Tyranitar territories under his/her long, nigh-endless rule. After conquering it's lands, the Imperitar is content to idle, satisfied in the knowledge that all in it's lands consider it the one, true ruler of their area.

Any of these ideas interest you?
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby IceBug on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Is considering writing a Battletech-esque mech fiction...

WOAH, ANDREW WRITING! There, I beat you to it...

Anyway, more to come if I decide to do it.
Need Az ure Ne d it Az ure A zure Azu reAzureAzure....GWAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA!!!!!
IceBug
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Andrew? Writing fiction?
I am intrigued but certainly not shocked. Andrew, you have the potential in my eyes to be the sort of writer that would work perfectly with the setting of battletech.
I'll post another idea of mine here in a bit but I need some more time to think it through.
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby SQUISHYFISHY on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Woah Andrew writing! D: Waitasec... Am I late?
SQUISHYFISHY

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:34 pm

Beyond late. But now that you're finally here...

Let's get this party started. 8-)
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby XIVcaliber on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:42 pm

INDEED.

I say we make up THE BEST IDEA EVER.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:33 pm

Eric mentioned this today at school, and I'm putting it up here for scrutiny and sharpening.
Once Elliot gets his fanfic (which has been absorbed into the Pro'Verse, yay!) on DeviantART, Eric believes we should form a club/group for the characters in the various fics that are based on real-life people, i.e us. It would have one of those unofficial leagues, with Eric as Champion 1. Because his fanfic was the first online and 2. Because he came up with the idea for a league in the first place.
My additions to the idea:
Instead of merely having multiple set teams that challengers would fight, we'd have a large pool of pokemon (seperate for each member of the Elite and the Champion) from which we would form our teams. This would add a bit more uncertainty to every fight.
No type specialization for any of the Elite. It's like being forced to pick Rock every single time in a rock-paper-scissors tournament. Traditions are made to be subverted.
All pokemon must be nicknamed and should have some sort of backstory, especially if they appear in one of the fanfics. If Andrew doesn't want to do this, I can make his profiles for him, no charge and with a guarantee that they will be the same level of quality with which I would make my own profiles.
Order of Fights from first to last: Mark, Andrew/Elliot, Elliot/Andrew, Jake, Eric. The reason Elliot and Andrew have interchangable position is because I can't really see either one below or above the other; they'll probably need to duke it out to decide.
Finally, awards: Victors of the entire league can choose between a commision from either myself (Drawing or Writing), Elliot (Writing), and Eric (Writing) depicting their final battle. If Niki owes one of us a favor, we could also possibly ask her to draw something excellent to commemorate the victory.

What do you think?
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby SQUISHYFISHY on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 pm

*The coolness above made me puke out a lung, but it was so cool that it grew back instantaneously*
SQUISHYFISHY

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:41 pm

If it's awesome enough, anything is possible!
Hmm... that would totally work as the motto for a shonen protagonist...
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby IceBug on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:40 pm

I'll allow Elliot to go after me, because then we have the fanfic writers all in one place. However, I'm not going to take it easy on anyone who comes our way, so it's going to be lonely anywhere above me. And don't worry, I'm going to compete for that top spot, so watch out. :evil:

Also, need ideas for mecha. I plan on basing it around individual customization and building. So in otherwards, if you have an idea for a mecha you'd like to design, pitch it to me. It and you may appear in the fic if I ever do it. I don't care how you design it, what wepons it has, how it moves, ect., but be reasonable. I don't want any "My mech is 300 feet tall an can charge a Hadouken the size of the moon" ideas, if you would.
Need Az ure Ne d it Az ure A zure Azu reAzureAzure....GWAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA!!!!!
IceBug
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 pm

Hmmm. Based on my limited knowledge of the game in comparison to you, I'll probably get a few ideas wrong, but here goes...
First Mech Idea: A heavily modified Mad Cat Mk. II. Built with the design philosophy of someone who loves taking enemies out in one hit (Sound familiar.) Armor and machine guns have been reduced and dumped respectively in favor of four AC 20s and two large Pulse lasers in addition to the Mk. II's default missles and lasers, and if possible the most effecient cooling system ever created for any mech. Considering that the weapon layout, if managed properly, would never even need such effecient cooling, the owner and pilot of this mech has been mocked as ineffecient with his weapons. Of course, when you're on the recieving end of all of these weapons fired at once, you'll be less inclined to laugh and more inclined to eject as quickly as possible. The pilot himself is believed to have survived this long mostly due to luck. This is discounting his impeccable aim and unorthodox fighting strategy, which involves sniping from the most unlikely position possible and then falling back.

Second Mech Idea: The Flaming Squirrel. A medium sized mech, it's outward appearence is decieving; it appears to only be armed with one or two weapons and certainly nowhere near enough staying power for even a short battle. In practice, when combined with the pilot who designed it, this mech is an unholy terror. With massively suped up boosters and joints, and unique equipment on the hands and feet, this mech can speed its way around and over the battlefield. The equipment on the hands and feet is designed specifically to cause extra damage if the mech lands upon an enemy mech by using the powered-up boosters. It's not unusual to witness this mech gleefully leaping from enemy to enemy, leaving exploding heads in it's wake. While considered nearly impossible to handle by most other mech pilots, this mechs designer loves nothing more then becoming something akin to Death From Above.

You can tell where I got the inspiration for these, can't you?
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby IceBug on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:14 pm

I would try to stray from Battletech. I want unique creations, they can do whatever you want. Heck, I don't care if you make up all of the mech's systems, make it slither, and make it spit liquid nitrogen. Think creatively.

Also, the Mk II doesn't have room for that kind of stuff. 4 AC 20's add up to 40 citical slots, not including ammo. Only Dropships, big ones, can mount that firepower.
IceBug
Regular Poster

Postby Dott_irb on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:25 pm

I wants a mech that can slow down time but not in the traditional sense.

It is around 8 feet tall.

When it slows down time, it actually speeds up (make sense) - so ideally you couldn't stop time because you would have to move at an infinite speed.
He is a mechanized manbot that carries two swords. One is completely make of shadow and the other one light.

How's that?
Dott_irb

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:59 am

Dott_irb wrote:I wants a mech that can slow down time but not in the traditional sense.

It is around 8 feet tall.

When it slows down time, it actually speeds up (make sense) - so ideally you couldn't stop time because you would have to move at an infinite speed.
He is a mechanized manbot that carries two swords. One is completely make of shadow and the other one light.

How's that?

Sounds a bit too Super-Robotish if you ask me. Slowing down time is definetely more reasonable then stopping it, and is absolutely possible in the world of fiction (mech's gonna need a ton of lube to stop it from bursting into flames, though.) However, swords made (respectively) out of shadow and light? Going a bit far for Battletech's setting, as far as technology, form, and local resources go. Maybe just a sword that perfectly absorbed light and one that perfectly reflected it, i.e not made of darkness or light but virtually the same?

Well, as far as Andrew's thoughts on my mech ideas go...
I'd like to keep the second one, although instead of any sort of humanoid shape go for a limber, animalistic form.
Seeing as I can now create my own mech without restrictions to model and such, however, I'm so going crazy with my first idea.
The mech is assault-sized and has the same practical size as an Atlas. This mech, which the owner has nicknamed "Vin" after a warrior of legend, has enough long-range weaponry to decimate a few large-size mechs in one volley. Of course, this is said pilot's entire philosophy when it comes to fighting: If you're going to destroy something, best to get it over with as quickly and with as much firepower as possible. The mech is loaded with four medium-sized long-range lasers, four large pulse lasers, four long range missle racks, four modified AC 5s which are customized to go farther but do less damage, and to top it all off a single AC 20 (located in the center torso.) The mech is also equipped with a cooling system specifically designed to manage the immense heat from all of these weapons going off at once, a beagle probe to protect "Vin" from ambushes, and for some reason jump jets. (Leading theory is that the guy who pilots it is insane, which he is, but that's not why; it's simply fun to briefly pop up over a hill, blast someone, and then dissapear behind cover before retaliatory attacks arrive.) The mech's engine was custom designed and built by the pilot, and is oddly not based on any commercial engine design; instead, one could say it was built from scratch, albeit absurdly high-quality scratch. Despite all it's strengths, the Vin has one major weakness: It's slow as frozen molasses. If the pilot is unable to take out his enemies before they get into range, there is very little chance of him escaping, leading to the current pilot's motto: You don't need to worry about running away if you never miss.
How's that for a custom mech?
I've got another idea I'll post here soon, seeya all later.
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:21 pm

So, further ideas on Silence...

Shelly, the main character, has a massive bundle of emotional issues, as stated before. My goal over the course of the novel is to have her slowly reconcile each of these issues, allowing her to mature and move on with her life. The big three goals for this character are: 1.) Recognize that she is in no way responsible for her mother's death- i.e Get over the survivor guilt. 2.) Recognize that she has the power to directly confront problems. Her self-confidence was mangled by her father's impatience while he was still around, and recognizing her own talent will be a major factor in her journey. 3.) WARNING LOTSA SPOILERS Confront and challenge her father, a.k.a Cyrus. This will be the pivotal event of the fanfic. During Shelly's journey, Galactic will be carrying out the scheme they had in the Platinum games, as Cyrus is no longer bound by World Galactic's control. Shelly initially wants to stay out of their way, until some research by Dr. Steele and herself leads her to discovering the identity of her father. What follows is a (silent) rampage of revenge up Mt. Coronet, helped by her full team (which I shall list below.) Eventually, she confronts her father just as he summons Dialga and Palkia, providing the distraction for the Lake Trio to summon Giratina. At this point, she is torn between two options; Save her bastard of a father or let Giratina deal with him. She initially chooses the latter. She immediately regrets this and dives into the distortion world after him. As she explores the twisted world she begins to recognize how insignificant some of her problems seem in comparison to this sundered world. She eventually confronts- and defeats- her father, proving her strength and punishing her father for his transgression. It is at this point that Shelly regains her ability to speak. In the end, Shelly meets Giratina, and the two silently share a reflection on their own damaged, but ultimately good souls. And the rest... you'll have to read later.
Okay Spoilers Over Now.
Her Team:
Garnet: Female Eevee/Espeon, Calm Nature, Shelly's confidant and translator.
Celsius: Male Eevee/Flareon, Brave Nature, Garnet's mate and team troublemaker.
Miz Gothita: Female Misdreavus/Mismagius, Sassy Nature, team primadonna, complains that excess of fear from Shelly's issues is making her fat.
Galahad: Male Ralts/Kirlia/Gallade, Adamant Nature, Team Paladin, self-appointed bodygaurd of Shelly.
Lancelot: Male Anorith/Armaldo, Impish Nature, Team Comedian, makes really sucky jokes.
Thundere: Female Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu, Hasty Nature, Team Mom/Psychopath, has one MEAN Volt Tackle.
I think that covers most of the additions.
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:57 pm

This idea first came into being as a figment sometime during U.S Economics and came to the attention of my concious mind during Orchestra today. It's a new addition to the Pro 'Verse, featuring completely new characters- no appearences by any of us- and possibly tying into a future story with Shelly.

The plot centers around a recently-come-of-age wild (male) Absol taking up his parents' quest of clearing the still-widespread malevolence towards his species due to the superstition of an Absol bringing bad luck and disaster. As anyone with a 4th-generation pokedex knows, this superstition is bull and Absol merely sense coming disasters and appear to warn others of the coming calamity. Few humans OR pokemon understand this, and thus Absol are constantly and consistently persecuted. The Absol- named Shiniga- finds a chance to begin chipping away at this perception when he senses and finds a trainer with a Zangoose cornered by a large number of Misdreavus and Banette. But after driving them off, the trainer, instead of listening to the Absol like Shiniga had hoped, proceeds to capture him instead. The story goes from there as the trainer and his two other pokemon, the aforementioned Zangoose and a Grumpig, come to understand each other.
The trainers name: Darran. Zangoose: Inigo. Grumpig: Phizzick.

After PT2, Darran becomes a love interest for Shelly. So yeah.
Any ideas to expand or comment on this?
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby XIVcaliber on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:18 pm

I propose a new awesome idea: Explaining Pokemon Physics.

Basically, we try to come up with non-satirical, rational explanations for why things in Pokemon are the way they are. Jake has done a considerable amount of commentary in this area, but I think that with our nerdy minds we can explain the entire Pokemon universe. Basically, we all ask questions about the Pokemon world and collaborate to produce a rational answer to them. I may consider making it into a thread. Shall I?
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:00 pm

*gives Elliot the thumbs up on the new thread idea*
Just make sure you comment on the other ideas I'm coming up with. I need feedback, commentary, additions, ideas, anything you can add to what I've thought up. I want to put these ideas through the furnace so I can forge them into steel.
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Dreamaniac