HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 pm

It's your username - you have a lower case first letter.

The quickest and simplest way to fix it would be to re-register on the forum (your comic account will not be affected) with something like When fire falls or When-fire-falls or Whenfirefalls2 or something. Note that your forum name does not have to have anything to do with your comic name.

(Also note that you won't be able to register with Whenfirefalls because the forum sees whenfirefalls and Whenfirefalls as the same user. SiteAdmin however, sees them as two users which is why you can't log in at the moment.)
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thraxis on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:01 pm

Do you have any idea how long it will take to fix the password email problem, or are you not in the tech loop? I don't mean to harass or nag, I am simply eager to publish my comic.

--Thraxis
Even the might of the Legendary Arysk can be stymied by unsolved technical difficulties...

In other news: All hail Cthulhu! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu ftaghn!
Thraxis

Postby MagooChris on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:56 pm

Dr Neo Lao is not apart of the admin group, moderators or the tech group (this is basically only STrRedWolf from what I understand)

STrRedWolf has started looking at the problem and so hopefully it won't be too much longer...
Last edited by MagooChris on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Web Admin for: http://ameliasamulet.comicgenesis.com/ (Yup it's plain and borring because my fiancée hasn't decided how she wants it to look yet...)
MagooChris
Regular Poster

Postby Thraxis on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:59 pm

sweet, thanks for the info
--Thrax
Even the might of the Legendary Arysk can be stymied by unsolved technical difficulties...

In other news: All hail Cthulhu! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu ftaghn!
Thraxis

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:31 am

@MagooChris: thank you for your help in keeping people informed, but please refrain from giving dates or guesses without firm knowledge. At best it'll annoy people, at worst make them angry.

You are right, I am not in any way part of the current CG staff. I was a mod in the Help Centre for a while, but only because I was hanging around and helping everybody anyway.

However, I do have access to the admin and Mod section of the site. As stated, STrRedWolf (site coder) is aware of the problem and devoting as much resources to fixing it as soon as possible. However, since he has a day job and other demands on his time, he can't get results up as fast as we would like. Currently, the only solid reply I have had is "working on it", so the only estimate on when it'll be fixed that I can give is "soon". Which is not what people want to hear...

For those who really, really want to get their comic up and running right now, then I would suggest joining up with one of the other big webcomic hosts: Smack Jeeves, Drunk Dunk, WebComicsNation, Comic Dish or Cimic Fury. All have different strengths and weaknesses, but last time I checked (last weekend) they all had five-minute registrations. There is no reason to not have your comic on two (or more) sites until you decide which one you like better.

The main differecnes between the different hosts are how much control you have over how your comic site looks, ranging from "none at all" (Drunk Duck) to "near total" (CG).
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Theta on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 pm

thank you for the help.
Theta

Postby MagooChris on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Dr Neo Lao wrote:@MagooChris: thank you for your help in keeping people informed, but please refrain from giving dates or guesses without firm knowledge. At best it'll annoy people, at worst make them angry.

Whoops, I just re-read what I posted (I've since removed it) and the wording of what I was trying to say was wrong... :shucks: serves me right for rushing my post... I meant to say that I wouldn't be expecting anything new till about Tuesday as the last 2 times STrRedWolf has been on to help has been a Sunday (most likely his only free time - it's the logical choice)... so yeah... I was meaning it as don't get dissapointed if nothing is done before the weekend... sorry for the wrong impression or false hope...
Web Admin for: http://ameliasamulet.comicgenesis.com/ (Yup it's plain and borring because my fiancée hasn't decided how she wants it to look yet...)
MagooChris
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm

That's okay. All help is appreciated.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fuzzykun on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:59 am

ok ummm i tried the whole "generate new password" thing and i still havent gotten an email with an activation code. its been like 2 days and i tried like 5 times already. whats happening?
Fuzzykun

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:40 pm

The "generate new password" thingy is broken at the moment. :( See this thread for more information.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Theta on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:29 pm

Has the problem been solved?
Theta

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:57 am

YES!

All accounts should be running fine, the FTP password thingy is working (on all known email services) and auto-updates are running.

The current issues are manual updates not working and updates sometimes running late.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Theta on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:03 pm

ok,

I got a lot farther this time, but I still can't log in.

It says that it sent the e-mail,

I got the e-mail, then I used the activation code to activate it,

It said it was activated, but I still can't log in.

I think I read somewhere that the name of the comic might have messed the login process up, so does this name work?

altruisticlicense
Theta

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 am

This is your comic: http://altruisticlicense.comicgenesis.com/

Therefore, your FTP username is altruisticlicense and your FTP password should be the one that you activated in the email.

To log into SiteAdmin, you don't use your FTP stuff, you use your forum username and password. Once you are logged into SiteAdmin then you will see the options to enter your FTP username and password.

Alternatively, if you have an FTP program (such as SmartFTP or Filezilla) then in that program you would use your FTP username and password only to access your comic account.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby maeveandella on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Im trying to login to siteadmin and I seem to be having a simular problem as comiccracker - well I get the same message anyway! I have however had all my confirmation emails as I should have done yet despite having done all of the below as recommended:

- logged into forums successfully (and uploaded using my FTP program login successfully)
- NOT logged out and opened the site admin page
- Logged in with my user name capitalising the first letter as instructed (it let me login as Maeveandella but once loaded just looked like maeveandella which seemed a bit odd!)
- (ive tried this with IE7 and Mozilla and get the same for both)
- Looked at cookies and firewalls
- Reset my password twice (and can still login to forums and ftp)

I still get the same error page message quoted below. I also get these pages occaionsionally!

"This page requires authentication, please goto the Login page." which sends me round in circles....
or
"Forum Username Maeveandella not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)
Please see below for possible correct spellings:
maeveandella
Logout to try again (hit cancel)"

I get this when I try to sign in with it capitalised as suggested.

Comiccracker wrote:
http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com/ wrote:Your browser did not return the expected response comiccracker

Referred from: http://forums.keenspace.com/viewtopic.p ... 777a508bac

User Agent(Browser) reports it is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 ImageShackToolbar/5.0.0
No Proxy Detected
Your Actual IP Address: 67.207.229.91
Your browser is broken
Browser status: MSIE 7: Working
Firefox 2.0.0.4: Working
Safari 3.0.2: Working
Opera 9.21 (8776): Working
Nintendo DS Opera: Not working
Please use Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari or Opera or something that supports HTTP Digest Authentication compliant with RFC2617!
Also you get this if you entered the wrong password, or have never logged out of forums.comicgenesis.com and back in after July 22nd 2007

any suggestions or further advice would be very welcome!

Thanks
maeveandella

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:43 am

I get this when I try to sign in with it capitalised as suggested.

Close. You'll need to register a new forum account with a capital as the first letter in order to be able to access SiteAdmin. This will not affect your comic account. You can run your comic without using SiteAdmin, though some things are easier with it.

Here is how to change your forum account but keep the same email.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Cresant Meadow on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:59 pm

Hello. I already requested a webcomic here.... I have some questions about that.

1. I sent in a scanned image and it hasn't been edited yet. It looks pretty crappy. If it gets rejected because of this, can I try again with the same Username

2. I am revolving the comic around videogames. Am I alowed to draw backgrounds from a game, such as an angle on a halo 3 map?

3. Actually, since alot of things are going to be around videogames, what else should I take into consideration?
Cresant Meadow

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:13 am

If you take a screenshot from a game, add a word balloon and upload it, then no, that is not allowed.

If you draw the exact same thing (take a screenshot, draw what it looks like by hand [note that there is a big difference between drawing and tracing] so that it is your own work but based on something else) then that is perfectly fine. For example, this strip in Ctrl+Alt+Del is entirely based on America's Army, but it is not footage from within the game, it was drawn.

I sent in a scanned image and it hasn't been edited yet. It looks pretty crappy.

How it looks is irrelevant, the committee does not judge your skill, they just want to make sure you are a human and that it is your own work. So long as the image was inside the requirements (less than 500Kb and not super-huge, like 1200x1200 pixels) then you shouldn't get rejected for that. If the image was outside the requirements, then you might be asked to make a new submission.

...Am I alowed to draw backgrounds...

So long as you draw them, then yes. Not if you copy them,

...what else should I take into consideration?

There are like ten billion webcomics about video games. Try and make yours original. If it is not original, try and make it look good. If you can't make it look good, then try and be funny. If you can't be funny, then at least try and be different to the other ten billion video game webcomics. And remember why you are doing it. If it is for the fun of it, then you can pretty much ignore almost everything that anyone else tells you. So long as you are having fun (and you aren't copying) then go right ahead.

If you are doing it to make money, don't quit your day job.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Cresant Meadow on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks, that should really help. I kinda hope it gets rejected though because I dislike the name I chose. I can make it work though. Well, I guess I need to brush up on my background skills. and when I mean brush up, I mean get some.
Cresant Meadow

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 am

If you don't like the name, then now would probably be the best time to fix that.

In order to fix it, you would need to applay again for a comic account (and wait another seven days) but then you would be up and running with your account with the right name from the start. Your current account, depending on how far you have gotten, can easily be discarded if you no longer wanted it.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center