Serge Vs. LC: Battle of the Bands

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Serge Vs. LC: Battle of the Bands

Postby IVstudios on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:11 pm

Okay!
After a long delay, here is the final round of the tournament.

Serge is up first.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Re: Serge Vs. LC: Battle of the Bands

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:25 pm

Alright! Time to practice drawing people holding guitars. :o
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:01 am

i like the scribbly music notes as he's tunning.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby SergeXIII on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:38 am

Battle of the Bands, eh? I suppose it'd be useful to give out some details on the bands our characters are from.
Seth's band is called Sinister Rhapsody. He plays the bass as has been established and writes the lyrics. His cousin Axel Steelman is the lead guitarist and backed up by Autumn Sorenson and then theres the drummer Lymslia Izanfield. You can see them all here but I'll point them out in the comic. I think i can do without, but it'd be nice to know some details about Gummi's band.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:58 am

Good info!

Gummi's band is, predictably, the Gummi Hendrixx Experience. The other band members are all medieval peasants who come from Electric Ladyland. One of them plays a "primitive medieval guitar thing" as bassist, and the other plays a flute. Their drummer was eaten by a bear (!) but they got a new one. All-in-all, they're not really that good, and mainly provide background music for Gummi's outrageous solos.

I'll see if I can get a picture for ya.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:01 am

I'm going to start drawing this up tonight (I believe it is understandable that I've been busy the last couple of days).
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:19 pm

Time to finaly start this thing:
Sorry about the bare bones approach to this one, but I didn't want to dely my entry any longer. I've been busy seeing as its the holidays and all. This one is in color so LC can see what colors each band member is in should he need that info. After this I'll be going into black and white like the last duel against lego.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:46 am

Groovy!

I have some ideas for a follow-up, so I'll try to narrow them down to a page's worth and get this thing drawn during the week.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:03 am

FYI I haven't forgotten about this, it's just a crazy week for me to be starting this up again, as I not only went back to college this week but I'm also working on finishing up several major personal projects at the moment. I had hoped to pick up the tournament again during the month I was off of school, but that obviously didn't happen. I have my page written, though (in my head, anyways), and I'd like to get at it as soon as I can find a moment or two to take up my pencil. I also haven't done any drawing at all since the first round, so hopefully I'm not too rusty.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Ah, LC you don't happen to have Rock Band do you? I just made Sinister Rhapsody in it and thought it might be fun if we could figure out some way to implement our bands likeness in it sans sprite comic approach. If only as a doodle if not for anything else.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Nah, I don't have Rock Band. Not only am I not into playing instruments in general, but I don't have any of the current-gen consoles (my most up-to-date toy is my Gamecube). I'm not really much of a console gamer. If someone else wants to do it then that's cool, although I suggest waiting for my first page before getting into anything. ;)

I think I'll get started on it tonight.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:56 am

Okay, I'll give it a go. It'll just be a while for me to get everyone enough dough to earn the appropriate wardrobe, which is cool, I welcome the practice.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:23 am

Hitting the sack; I'll finish this up in the next day or two. Progress: mostly penciled.

Edit: Progress update -- 1st page inked. I expect to finish this Friday night.

Edit: Progress update -- Nearly finished penciling the second page. I'm expecting to have this all inked, scanned, and lettered by Tuesday night.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:36 pm

This needs to be bumped back onto the first page.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:12 pm

Special thanks goes to Demonuncle for helping me with Astro Man's design and for general artistic advice. I learned what a clavicle is!

Also, I'm aware that the image quality of the first five panels is messed up, and I'm not sure why (aside from that I used a different scanner for them), but I don't particularly feel like correcting it. This is partly out of apathy, partly for the contrast with the last panel, and partly for the juxtaposition of the poor image quality with the (temporary) despondency of Gummi's situation.

Edit: Also, I didn't mean for Mr. Perfect to be inked so boldly. I used the same pen for all three characters, but somehow the ink was just gushing out for the third drawing. I guess it doesn't matter, though, if you take the thick ink in terms of depth/perspective or something.
Last edited by LibertyCabbage on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:46 am

The image is getting clipped about half way across Mr. Perfects body for me.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:04 am

The forums do that with large images. Make you're window bigger or open the image in it's own window.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:38 am

I just resized it down to a width of 720 pixels (same as Serge's page).
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:14 pm

My labtop ate it a while ago but I got it back and running, so I can work on comics again, but I have to get some minicomics prepared for the NY comic con, so truth be told, I may not be finishing this until next week.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Postby SergeXIII on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Okay, now that NY comic con has come and gone I'm going to get to work.
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to General Discussion