Off-The-Wall (dropdown for the weird and surreal)

For sign-ups for genre-related dropdowns and to discuss and organise crossover events.
Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

Off-The-Wall (dropdown for the weird and surreal)

Post by Boozeathon4billion »

I started this collective while still a part of comicgen because there wasn't an active "odd/weird dropdown" anymore. Since I'm no longer using comicgenesis to host my comics, however, I haven't been too active in the forum anymore. Because of that, this thread has gotten a bit dated, so here is the new info on the group and how to join:

Although we are mostly made up of “weird” comics, we accept all applications and comic types (we just expect you to be off the wall if your comic isn’t). However, before applying, please make sure you meet the following requirements or your submission will be put on file for later or ignored since you can’t follow simple instructions:

1. Have at least 30 comics in your archive (especially if it’s a story driven comic),
2. Update regularly and "on time," (according to the schedule you set)
3. Have a site which is easy to use, navigate, and look at.

If you meet those requirements and have an interest in our community, email Mark at boozeathon4billion@gmail.com, include something about it being an Off The Wall Application in the subject line, and include the following information:

Author/Artist Name
Comic Name
URL (of comic and archive)
Comic Rating
A brief description of your comic.

Although most of these dropdowns/groups are limited to comicgen, and therefore accept any comicgen member automatically, we've strayed from that because a lot of the sites we got applications from either quit soon after being added to the group or before we even got a chance to add them to the site/dropdown. Because of that, we moved to a democratic process to vote in comics who submit applications and meet certain requirements (those listed above). That review process could take a month or so, since we send it around and chat about it, so be patient, but if you don’t even get a reply from me within a week saying I recieved it and that we are reviewing it, try again (sometimes my spam folder gets way overactive).

Once you've been accepted, just post the code found right under this on your pages (main/archive) and I'll add you to the list ASAP.

Code: Select all

<script language="javascript" SRC="http://boozeathon4billion.com/scripts/offthewall.js"> </SCRIPT>
We're planning to move this site/collective to its own servers in 2010 sometime, and with that move will come a forum, chat channel, podcast, and several other things we just don't have the bandwidth/resources for at this moment. Our website is: http://offthewall-comics.com so visit there if you want more info or want an idea of what kind of comics are a part of this group. And if I'm taking too long getting back with you, PM or email me. I'm busy, but I should have more than enough time to update the dropdown for you weirdos. 8-)
Last edited by Boozeathon4billion on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image Image

Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Re: Off-The-Wall (dropdown for the weird and surreal)

Post by Phact0rri »

there's been a few "surreal dropdowns" in the past. but things have been touch and go for a bit with the dropdown situation. good to see another one starting up.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

Cool. I just haven't seen them in my perusal of the board and if did they had never gotten off the ground.

So people: I'm trying to get this thing off the ground (I have the dropdown up and working, a beta-logo made, and a homepage for it on my site) but haven't heard from anyone yet. If your comic is weird/surreal or even just based on quick gag-a-day/minimalist humor, then post your info here and lets get this thing goin!! And if you know anyone whose comic might fit these requirements, let them in on the goodness.
Image Image

Phact0rri

Post by Phact0rri »

i been pretty lazy. I been meaning to restart a bunch of the dropdowns... but it requires me to do a bit of designing... and my plate is over flowing right now. its coming... not sure how many people will use it when i bring back a few of the genres... but maybe a few.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

I'm pretty busy right now too, but if you need some help on them, let me know. My comic fits under a couple possible genre's and I'd be willing to host and setup those ones if it would help the community and take some of the load off your back. I do script like this for a side-job so it doesn't take long to design the page and get the dropdown working. My inspiration for logo's isn't the greatest though, but they can change easily.

Just let me know if I can help.
Image Image

Nutshellcomics
Regular Poster

Post by Nutshellcomics »

I was thinking that there should be a dropdown for Gag-A-Day type comics and if this is the place, then I would like to put my comic in this category.

Name: David Hustoft
User: nutshellcomics
Comic: In A Nutshell
Link: http://nutshellcomics.comicgenesis.com/
Rating: PG, so far and I don't expect to change anytime soon.
Theme: Single panel cartoon based on weird news storied I hear or read.
Updates Monday & Friday

Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

I've added you and triggered an update. Just copy and paste the code from my first post onto your page somewhere and expect a new logo soon (that one was meant as a filler logo until more people joined originally).
Image Image

Nutshellcomics
Regular Poster

Post by Nutshellcomics »

Done and Done. :D
Updates Monday & Friday

SpasticDisaster
Regular Poster

Post by SpasticDisaster »

Yeah. This is me.
Lance
SpasticDisaster
Beyond Good-N-Evil
goodnevil.comicgenesis.com
PG13
BGnE is... darkly funny and pretty crazy, I think. Most people would think.
It's an assault of bizarre individuals and happenings.
What a relief
I feel like a soldier
Look like a thief

Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

I've updated the script so that you are included, have changed the image URL so that the logo actually shows up (btw: there should be a newer/cooler one up and rockin soon), and as long as you throw the script from the first post on your index page somewhere (and where ever else on your site that you might want it) then you'll be good to go.

I'll start checking your stuff out later this week. Glad to have you on the dropdown!
Image Image

SpasticDisaster
Regular Poster

Well, ok! I got the dropdown up on my main page.
Glad to be a part!

One request however...
It lists my username, SpasticDisaster, not my comic name, Beyond Good-N-Evil.

Sorry for the inconvenience. >.<;;
What a relief
I feel like a soldier
Look like a thief

Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

I've uploaded the new dropdown code and updated the directory with the titles/names/etc on it. Eventually that directory won't look like my main site, but it was just easier to throw it up like that than redesign anything else. But yeah, glad to have you on here. I look forward to reading your stuff when I have time next week. lol
Image Image

SpasticDisaster
Regular Poster

Awesome!

I like your stuff, by the way.
What a relief
I feel like a soldier
Look like a thief

Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

Thanks... i've been trying to follow your when I remember too. It's pretty sweet stuff. Glad to have you (both) on the dropdown with me! :D
Image Image

Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

UPDATES!!!!!!!!!

1. I've moved the main page to its own site now: http://offthewall-comics.blogspot.com
2. I'm redesigning the logo sometime soon.
3. I've made half-banners for the members so that they are all uniform. If you want something else there, email so I can give the dimensions/dpi/etc
4. I've started inviting more people who I know not just off of here, but just from reading their work. (Get Milked joined us in early August!)
5. If we get enough members and interest going, I'll throw up a forum for us.

I'm hoping to make this into a small little "weird, webcomic community" so that we can band together, share the greatness of each others work with our fans/readers, and hopefully bring in some more readers through this sort of structure. SO... if you've got a comic you like and think would like a place in this dropdown/community, let me know or just send them to the site to contact me.
Image Image

Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

We have two new comics on the dropdown! Get Milked was added in the first week of August, and that is a great addition. He does single frame stuff which is just brilliant and looks fantastic and the archive goes back to 2001!!!!!!! It is seriously an honor to have him on the dropdown. He updates monday, wednesday, and friday.

We also got a new comic added to the dropdown which just started this past June called Failed Objective. It's a multiframe comic which follows Cade Williams, a tech guy working for a sofar nameless corporation; the comic follows his work life and antics, as well as shedding some light on his personal habits. Its archive isn't that big so you should check it out now before it gets much bigger. These guys update on weird schedules, but there is always 2-4 comics a week. Just drop in and check them out when you can.

There will continue to be more updates as the month/year goes on so definitely check into the site as you can and stay up to date on all the exciting new happenings of Off The Wall Comics!
Image Image

Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

I figured that I should update this since we've grown and moved to a better site...

We now have 10 comics on the dropdown, have our own forum which is small but growing, are found at http://offthewall-comics.com and are always open to new members, new readers, and any sort of help you want to offer. If you want to join, check out the site or the first post here and email/post away. I'll get back with you asap.
Image Image

Littledeadgirl

Post by Littledeadgirl »

Author Name: Sinead Toolis
Username: Littledeadgirl
Comic Name: Little Dead Girls
URL: http://littledeadgirls.comicgenesis.com/
Comic Rating : PG13 ish
A brief description of your comic.

She's small, she's dead, and she makes daily observations about life.
Theres also Nemesis, the evil overlord who tosses bricks at people

Boozeathon4billion
Regular Poster

Sorry about never seeing this Littledeadgirl. I PM'd ya just now and can discuss it with you further if you're still intersted in joining. As for anyone else, the best way to get ahold of me is via email: boozeathon4billion@gmail.com
Image Image