
Get Ya Freak On.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
Wow, kinda hot there.
I've been into Dragonforce lately. They only wrote one song over and over again, but they all rock somehow.
I've been into Dragonforce lately. They only wrote one song over and over again, but they all rock somehow.
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
I like Dragonforce the video game... Sega Saturn. ::coughs::
I have a fair amount of teh Postal Service on my regular mix, so yay, band name I recognize. Actually I recognize Sigur Ros too because Eva really likes them. I deleted them from my copy of her playlist, though.
Including any mentioned previously that I may have missed, which podcasts would you recommend?
I have a fair amount of teh Postal Service on my regular mix, so yay, band name I recognize. Actually I recognize Sigur Ros too because Eva really likes them. I deleted them from my copy of her playlist, though.
Including any mentioned previously that I may have missed, which podcasts would you recommend?
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
Not the reaction I was looking for.TheSuburbanLetdown wrote:Wow, kinda hot there.
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
That may be due to the nature of "indy". I'm guessing that Canadian bands always had harder time to get a deal with major company than bands from USA and UK where major labels are centered. Of course, nowadays it's possible for bands fom smaller labels to get worldwide popularity too.Phact0rri wrote:i think its kind of interesting the amount of indie stuff coming out of Canada. of course aside from a few things like some hardcore punk and the million and one projects of Daniel Myer (synth stuff don't mind me) I didn't really pay much attention. it all snuck up on me.
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
Well, Nickelback is inexplicably selling like mad down here, and Alanis had her day. And now there's Feist, so I don't think that's quite it.
Most of these guys are coming out of Montreal, and they all are super supportive of each other, I guess mostly because they're all in Broken Social Scene.
Most of these guys are coming out of Montreal, and they all are super supportive of each other, I guess mostly because they're all in Broken Social Scene.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
What was I supposed to say?Yeahduff wrote:Not the reaction I was looking for.TheSuburbanLetdown wrote:Wow, kinda hot there.
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
I dunno, something along the lines of "What the fuck?" or "That's a... hell of a thing," or some expression of disbelief. You fucking weirdo.
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
-
RobertBlake
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 580
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
I like Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius, and later gave Dragonforce a try but couldn't get into them. They all sound too much the same, I suppose.TheSuburbanLetdown wrote:I've been into Dragonforce lately. They only wrote one song over and over again, but they all rock somehow.
Now I'm on this kick where all I want to hear is Bad Religion and Rammstein. But then, I tend to waffle around with the music I listen to. One day it will be Slayer and the next day Johnny Cash and then some crazy ass bit-pop shit from Sweden.
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
this is kinda true, I think however most Canadian bands do play in america more easily than they do in canada when were talking regional touring. least all the Canadian bands I know personally.McDuffies wrote:That may be due to the nature of "indy". I'm guessing that Canadian bands always had harder time to get a deal with major company than bands from USA and UK where major labels are centered. Of course, nowadays it's possible for bands fom smaller labels to get worldwide popularity too.Phact0rri wrote:i think its kind of interesting the amount of indie stuff coming out of Canada. of course aside from a few things like some hardcore punk and the million and one projects of Daniel Myer (synth stuff don't mind me) I didn't really pay much attention. it all snuck up on me.
I think part of it, is the slow of music progression in parts of the world, and how some cultures latch onto stuff. I mean the States with Punk rawk, and Country, UK with pop and glitch, nords with metal, etc. I think that the garage, low fi sound is maybe something new along with the IBM (intellegent body music--natch.) sound that Canada is finding a real cultural talent for.
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
Started listening to them a bit but discovered that what I like about Sonata Arctica is what I like about Nightwish, and Nightwish just happens to be better at it, so listening to Sonata Arctica is wasting time.RobertBlake wrote:I like Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius, and later gave Dragonforce a try but couldn't get into them. They all sound too much the same, I suppose.
Now I'm on this kick where all I want to hear is Bad Religion and Rammstein. But then, I tend to waffle around with the music I listen to. One day it will be Slayer and the next day Johnny Cash and then some crazy ass bit-pop shit from Sweden.
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
Mr. WK still wins, but I suppose this can't be denied.TheSuburbanLetdown wrote:My intent was to flabbergast. And flabbergast I did.
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
Perhaps it's more a matter of country finding it's niche: Germany is always making industrial or gothic metal, Sweden is always making indy-pop and pretending it's ABBA heritage, Finland is always making metal... but all those countries have much richer scenes than that, and it's music comparable to USA mainstream... I've heard some nice Finnish pop in their movies and the language sounds not at all unpleasant, and my favourite German group is playing country-tinged pop-rock. Not to mention, every country in the world has it's rap scene, and they're all singing about what it's like living in American ghetto.Phact0rri wrote: this is kinda true, I think however most Canadian bands do play in america more easily than they do in canada when were talking regional touring. least all the Canadian bands I know personally.
I think part of it, is the slow of music progression in parts of the world, and how some cultures latch onto stuff. I mean the States with Punk rawk, and Country, UK with pop and glitch, nords with metal, etc. I think that the garage, low fi sound is maybe something new along with the IBM (intellegent body music--natch.) sound that Canada is finding a real cultural talent for.
In Serbian there are strong scenes of brit-pop, punk, reggae/dub, irish punk a la Pogues and drum&bass tinged rock. But aside from language barriere (and if they sing in English, accent is usually bad and lyrics not very expressive) there isn't much chance of any of them going popular abroad, because as some producer from the anecdote said, "If we want a mexican band, we go to mexico" which is why bands that are fared best from here are kind of world bands leeching on eastern-european folk. That's not our only musical heritage, but it's apparently our niche.
-
RobertBlake
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 580
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
Hmm... I don't think I've heard anything by Nightwish.KWill wrote:Started listening to them a bit but discovered that what I like about Sonata Arctica is what I like about Nightwish, and Nightwish just happens to be better at it, so listening to Sonata Arctica is wasting time.RobertBlake wrote:I like Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius, and later gave Dragonforce a try but couldn't get into them. They all sound too much the same, I suppose.
Now I'm on this kick where all I want to hear is Bad Religion and Rammstein. But then, I tend to waffle around with the music I listen to. One day it will be Slayer and the next day Johnny Cash and then some crazy ass bit-pop shit from Sweden.
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
oh we'll not argue with rich music scenes, and the subculture underground going past the majority. I'm mainly speaking in generalizations, and what we attribute to large scenes. Where there are amazing performers everywhere being creative and doing new things, its hard to really experience a big bulk of it. Also I love the idea of musical heritage, but I also think there are plenty of creative and mind bending performers who do something so great and wonderful, I don't attach them to thier country always. cause its beyond that.McDuffies wrote:Perhaps it's more a matter of country finding it's niche: Germany is always making industrial or gothic metal, Sweden is always making indy-pop and pretending it's ABBA heritage, Finland is always making metal... but all those countries have much richer scenes than that, and it's music comparable to USA mainstream... I've heard some nice Finnish pop in their movies and the language sounds not at all unpleasant, and my favourite German group is playing country-tinged pop-rock. Not to mention, every country in the world has it's rap scene, and they're all singing about what it's like living in American ghetto.
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
Very similar to Sonata Arctica, except they usually have female lead vocals. If you like Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius, Nightwish is definitely worth trying out. Albumwise, their most recent one, Dark Passion Play, or Wishmaster, an older one, are probably the best to listen in on.RobertBlake wrote:Hmm... I don't think I've heard anything by Nightwish.
-
RobertBlake
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 580
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
I'll give 'em a try.KWill wrote:Very similar to Sonata Arctica, except they usually have female lead vocals. If you like Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius, Nightwish is definitely worth trying out. Albumwise, their most recent one, Dark Passion Play, or Wishmaster, an older one, are probably the best to listen in on.RobertBlake wrote:Hmm... I don't think I've heard anything by Nightwish.
- Yeahduff
- Resident Stoic (Moderator)
- Posts: 9158
- Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
- Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
- Contact:
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
Hey Sublet, still interested in MBV? Are you busy around, say, 11 o'clock tomorrow morning?
- TheSuburbanLetdown
- Destroyer of Property Value
- Posts: 12714
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
- Location: explod
Re: Get Ya Freak On.
I'm supposed to do yardwork all weekend, so I dunno. Call me later or something.






