Survival Tips For Growing Up In A Large Family

A place for people to discuss and constructively criticize my comics. Of course there’ll also be a place for off topic chit-chat, and a place for other webcomic artist to talk about what’s going on with their own stuff.
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Re: Survival Tips For Growing Up In A Large Family

Post by Indigo4789 »

Sharkfin wrote:We had acorns too, but I preferred crabapples over acorns because crabapples splatter against the sides of houses or trees. Even if you miss the person the splatter is still pretty intimidating, and the sticky spray is not without a little satisfaction.
The problem here is we don't have crabapples. Besides, the acorns hurt... especially when it's at close range.
"Those who dance are often considered insane by those who can't hear the music."

Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Post by Sharkfin »

Acorns do have the advantage of being more numerous. You can pick them up by the handful around the base of a large acorn tree. I remember at one point my friends and I had a five gallon bucket full of them behind every tree in the side yard. We then invited some rival neighborhood kids to have an acorn fight "over there".

That was a fun day even though we were only throwing them by hand.

And kids now days are content to play video games. (he says sarcastically)
Come see my webcomic!!

Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Post by Sharkfin »

Tbolt wrote:Idea: Went to our local pistol range, where we have several gongs... Now I could "paint" the gongs, then fire my regular pistols, see how my accuracy was, then repaint them if I made any adjustments! =^^=

(Was almost surprised that nobody complained...)
They were probably thinking, “That’s a good idea, and it looks like fun. I wonder if he’ll let me borrow that paintball gun for a second.”
Come see my webcomic!!

Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Post by Tbolt »

Heh, there was one other guy there, I let him paint the bowling pin silhouettes at 15 yards! =^^=

It definitely showed me the difference in accuracy between paintball and real firearms... =^^=
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain

Specter-8472
Regular Poster

Post by Specter-8472 »

Ahh, crabapple battles, that and stick sword-fights brings back the memory's.

Never actually been to a shooting range, just used our field and a few water jugs filed with sand.

record: (for constant hits)
3" target at 150 yards with a 30-30 rifle.
6" target at 100 feet for paintball
"I just put 1.795372 and 2.204628 together." "And what does that mean?"
"Four!" My DeviantArt Gallery

Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Post by Tbolt »

specter-8472 wrote:Ahh, crabapple battles, that and stick sword-fights brings back the memory's.

Never actually been to a shooting range, just used our field and a few water jugs filed with sand.

record: (for constant hits)
Hello, and welcome to the forum! glad to see a new face around here! =^^=

Heh, being a denizen of suburbia, most of the neighbors get a little leery when one brings out anything firearm-like for target practice! =^^;

Fortunately, our local gun club is nestled in a nice deep valley that affords us a lot of options for playing with a variety of toys! :D
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain

Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Post by Sharkfin »

Hello Specter, and welcome to the forum. Feel free to tell us all about yourself. There's not many people here yet, but the ones that are here are very friendly.
specter-8472 wrote:Ahh, crabapple battles, that and stick sword-fights brings back the memory's.
Now that you mention it, we did have a few stick fights too. But we normally used them as a bow-staff.
specter-8472 wrote:record: (for constant hits)
100ft with a paint ball is very impressive. I've fired a paint ball gun a few times, and the way those things sliced to the side drove me crazy. You must have been using the better paintballs in a fancy paintball gun.
Come see my webcomic!!

Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Post by Indigo4789 »

My little brothers have stick fights... but then again, they like to steal certain undergarments of mine and use them as slingshots. :roll:
"Those who dance are often considered insane by those who can't hear the music."

Specter-8472
Regular Poster

Post by Specter-8472 »

Sharkfin wrote: ...
You must have been using the better paintballs in a fancy paintball gun.
The gun was actually the standard Walmart special (with a few select upgrades). the paint, however, was matched carefully to the gun bore. It helped that the weather conditions were just right, perfect calm (a rarity here), and I took plenty of time to get my eye in.
"I just put 1.795372 and 2.204628 together." "And what does that mean?"
"Four!" My DeviantArt Gallery

Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Post by Indigo4789 »

Specter, impressive shooting with a paintball gun.
Personally, I don't like them much... I'd rather go out back and use the .22 on soda cans. Anything bigger than the .22, and I go to the local range.

By the way, welcome to the forum!! It's always nice to have a new face (well, screenname) to talk to.

Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Post by Sharkfin »

I've got a video my cousin gave me of one of his friends firing a 12gage for the first time. The Shotgun jumped right out of her hands. It's really quite comical. I'm going to have to post that video soon.
Come see my webcomic!!

Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Post by Tbolt »

When I see things like people getting knocked over by recoil, or guns flying out of people's hands I have to wonder what is going on? I've fired most of those calibers before, and never had that issue... Sometimes I wonder if my perspective on recoil is skewed...

* Looks at .460 magnum "fun gun" *

Ok, well maybe just a little! =^^;

Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Post by Indigo4789 »

Tbolt, I like your idea of a "fun gun." :D

Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Post by Tbolt »

Thanks! =^^=

Smith and Wesson really outdid themselves on the design of this one, when firing full power loads, the shockwave off the muzzle break is actually more painful than anything I feel through the handgrip. (Imagine getting hit in the face by a "hard" wall of air)

Just got a chance to shoot her at the bowling pins on the 30th. .454 casull is a joke out of this piece, and the fireball is a beautiful thing to behold, even from behind the gun! :D

Sixty X Celph
Regular Poster

Post by Sixty X Celph »

When I was littler, we used pine cones and sometimes gravel depending on whose neighborhood we were in. We weren't the brightest of boys. (>_>)

My mother's always been extremely anti-gun; my brother and I weren't even allowed nerf guns and only begrudgingly allowed water pistols as long as we didn't point them at each other [imagine that, if you will... a water pistol you weren't allowed to soak anyone with]. So, I've never actually fired a gun, besides BB guns. And even that was against my mothers wishes, so, she never knew about it. (^_^) Huzzah for mates during my childhood.

Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Post by Indigo4789 »

First of all, welcome!!!

Secondly, wow... I don't think I could imagine growing up with an anti-gun parent. While I can see the reason why a parent would be anti-gun, I'd rather teach the child how to handle the gun safely. That's what my mom did... she made sure we knew and respected the difference between water guns/cap guns and real guns. Besides, around here we regularly have nerf or water gun battles (parents included) so it wouldn't be much fun if we couldn't point them at each other.

Sixty X Celph
Regular Poster

Post by Sixty X Celph »

Danke, I appreciate the welcome.

Oh, believe me, it wasn't much fun at all, haha. Especially when she took 'em away. I'm older now, I can buy my own nerf guns and water pistols. (^__^)

Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Post by Tbolt »

Heh, I've heard a few stories from parents who tried to make their children "progressive" as far as guns went...

One boy lived under complete "gun control" until mom saw him playing with his sister's Barbie dolls and an old toilet paper tube. Apparently Barbie was splayed across the front of the Dream Jeep, toting a 30 inch howitzer (toilet paper tube) and defiantly proclaiming "You'll never take me alive!!!"

She'd tried to encourage him to play creatively with all the toys in the house, girl's or boy's. She learned how creative children can be! :D

She did not wish to know what Barbie's ultimate fate was, but she finally decided that boys like to play with guns, and there was nothing she could do to get the bug out of him.

Another tale involved a mother who tried to encourage nurturing "instincts" in her son by requiring him to play with Barbie dolls! (I'm sure that made him real popular with his peers) Eventually he shocked his mom by making a Barbie SMG. Right leg was the buttstock (collapsible, I assume! =^^= ) Right arm was the foregrip / magazine, Left leg the handgrip, and Left arm the barrel... (I think the left hand was the sight)

Boys WILL be boys! XD

Actually my dad never thought me responsible enough to own firearms, and never encouraged me to use the real thing, nor did he teach me to shoot. Actually I was pro-gun control up until I went to college. Then I joined ROTC and got to shoot an M-16 for the first time in my life... That was FUN! :D After college I bought a reproduction Colt 1861 revolver kit and got started into pistol shooting, and the rest is history! =^^=

Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Post by Sharkfin »

Welcome to the forum Sixty X Celph. Always nice to see a fellow YouTuber here spending time in the webcomics' world.

Make yourself at home. I've been blessed with some of the best fans in the world (including yourself).
Come see my webcomic!!

Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Post by Indigo4789 »

Sixty X Celph wrote:Danke, I appreciate the welcome.

Oh, believe me, it wasn't much fun at all, haha. Especially when she took 'em away. I'm older now, I can buy my own nerf guns and water pistols. (^__^)
True, you can buy them for yourself now, but the best water guns were the huge super-soakers... I still have mine from when I was young. For some reason though, the new super-soakers don't hold as much water or are as sturdy anymore.