Okay... America isn't being original.

The community of KeenSpace members with Anime interest. Not just a dropdown! Not just a manga! It's KEENIME!
DancingChaos
Regular Poster

Post by DancingChaos »

*buys flash*

:D
Meow

Risky

Post by Risky »

You go.

Checking

Post by Checking »

Slight necromancy, but the forum is dead anyway...

Teen Titans originally aired in Korea. Any info about it being a US cartoon is sheer bullshit. I have the original episodes, so. :/ I'm trying to find a reputable site link, since I doubt anyone will take my word with Wikipedia...

Slacks

Post by Slacks »

The biggest problem I find with it is that they are basically saying other countries are better. Most kids will probably think they are American at first but once they learn they are Japanese they think japan is a lot better. Some even believe stuff like getting super powers or ninjas attacking is an everyday occurrence there. It's not the style that makes me like Anime, although it is a good style, it's the stories and the way they handle the action.
Catabolism: The breaking down of complex chemical substances into simpler ones by the living cells of the body, with the release of energy.

Brockway
Dirty Old Man

Post by Brockway »

I'll have you know I've lived in Japan for the past year, and have gained and lost superpowers on 3 separate occasions. They came in handy with all the random ninja and yakuza attacks. Also, PS3's are $250 if you buy yahoo internet at the same time.
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

Tentoumushi
Regular Poster

Post by Tentoumushi »

Um your forgetting that modern anime comes from a style taken from American animation (Walt Disney and Warner Brothers being the main inspiration for eastern cartoonists.) So if anything we're just stealing back something that was already stolen from us in the first place. Anime is no more original than western cartoons.
Ever felt like a little bug in a big world? Yeah so do we ;)

Risky

Post by Risky »

Tentoumushi wrote:Um your forgetting that modern anime comes from a style taken from American animation (Walt Disney and Warner Brothers being the main inspiration for eastern cartoonists.) So if anything we're just stealing back something that was already stolen from us in the first place. Anime is no more original than western cartoons.
Define "forgetting", that's already been said at least twice in this thread. Sput and MixedMyth both mentioned it, for example. Just saying.

Tentoumushi
Regular Poster

Post by Tentoumushi »

Risky wrote:
Tentoumushi wrote:Um your forgetting that modern anime comes from a style taken from American animation (Walt Disney and Warner Brothers being the main inspiration for eastern cartoonists.) So if anything we're just stealing back something that was already stolen from us in the first place. Anime is no more original than western cartoons.
Define "forgetting", that's already been said at least twice in this thread. Sput and MixedMyth both mentioned it, for example. Just saying.
Sorry about that, was more replying to the first post than the ones after it. My bad, should have read more carefully.
Ever felt like a little bug in a big world? Yeah so do we ;)

Risky

Post by Risky »

'Salright.

Wendybird
Regular Poster

Re:

Post by Wendybird »

Prettysenshi wrote:Invader Zim would be an expection to that rule, along with Avatar: The Last Airbender. Zim was gritty, but hilarious. Avatar is like anime, but not annoying. So, while there are expections, it's not enough to help the situation overall.
I agree with this. However, my attitude is that as long as there are good things like Avatar coming out of the fusion, I'm happy.

Also, I think most American cartoons at any given time are dumb, but we only remember the exceptions. In my childhood there were almost as many cartoons on TV that I avoided as there are now. Most of the increase is my tastes becoming more discerning, but also there are just more cartoons now because it's something that adults look for too. Apologies to anyone who enjoyed Care Bears or Ren & Stimpy, but cartoons have been making me ill for years and years. And does anyone remember the Angry Beavers? May not this generation of bad cartoons pass away as well?

Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Re: Okay... America isn't being original.

Post by Dreamaniaccomic »

Nothing is original.
It's logical: anime/manga are becoming more popular, thus the various powers start moving towards that sort of look/feel in an attempt to cash in on that popularity.
That said, I miss bugs bunny. :( Is the age of falling anvils and momentary defiance of gravity behind us entirely?
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...

Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Post by Killbert-Robby »

DancingChaos wrote:If this topic was already mentioned, I'm sorry.

Have you noticed???!!! America is stealing anime! Cartoons are gradually getting more and more sweatdrops!!! And then cartoons are getting those big eyes... The worst is 'totally spies'... It's so obvious.
Totally Spies is *French*

Otama Sanshiro

Re:

Post by Otama Sanshiro »

There's the story. The Japanese want to do the Walt Disney and Warner Brothers. But, unlike their role models, they didn't have a lot of money. From this budget of the Japanese, anime was born. The rest is history.

So why is the Americans (not quite WB and Disney) doing the cheap anime style, even if they outsourced it? Money. They found out it was cheaper than theirs, so they can make more money. They have also found other ways to make money in these tough times. That's off topic.

Cope
Incompetent Monster

...also, mcDuffies already mentioned the French part.

Post by Cope »

Killbert-Robby wrote:

Have you noticed???!!! America is stealing anime! Cartoons are gradually getting more and more sweatdrops!!! And then cartoons are getting those big eyes... The worst is 'totally spies'... It's so obvious.
pssst! I don't think Dancing Chaos is here anymore.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero

Re: ...also, mcDuffies already mentioned the French part.

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Cope wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:

pssst! I don't think Dancing Chaos is here anymore.
I DONT CARE,
I'M SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT

Risky

Post by Risky »

So's the word Anime, so... Who is Stealing From Who?

Alias Pseudonym
Regular Poster

Post by Alias Pseudonym »

I don't care very much about the visual style, so what attracts me most about anime is the fact that Japan is more open minded about what you can make a cartoon about. So you get things like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Paranoia Agent, Welcome to the NHK and Serial Experiments Lain. Western cartoons tend to either be comedy or designed to appeal to children, and you could never get away with something like Lain. But Lain actually works best in an animated format, because that way they didn't have to be limited to the way things actually look in reality, and instead could use the visuals for metaphors.

In conclusion, I don't really care what the west wants to do with the visual style of anime. Unless they suddenly start churning out animated psychological dramas, (or animated whatever the heck Lain is) in which case, yay.

On a related note, I liked Avatar and Teen Titans. Totally Spies and all of its nauseatingly-coloured cousins can burn and die. Seriously, who picked those colours? They burn my eyes.

Incidentally, I'm not talking about manga. Just anime. The anime I listed off are original, original, based on a novel and based on a video game respectively. Manga tends to have a narrower subject matter and a specific story-telling style, and I've found that most of my favourite anime aren't actually based on manga.

Long live psychological drama.

Shadow Crystal Mage

Post by Shadow Crystal Mage »

Alias Pseudonym wrote:
Long live psychological drama.
Here Here!