Off Topic Chit-Chat

A place for people to discuss and constructively criticize my comics. Of course there’ll also be a place for off topic chit-chat, and a place for other webcomic artist to talk about what’s going on with their own stuff.

Off Topic Chit-Chat

Postby Sharkfin on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:34 pm

Whatever you want to talk about, so long as it has something to do with comics, cartoons, or art.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

hey it works now

Postby Minijaxter on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:34 pm

hey the last time i tried to visit the forum it wasnt working

looks like it is working.
Minijaxter

Postby Coyotejeff on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:09 pm

Hey. I just discovered frog-skin boots through Hyatt Webcomics forum and just had to say it’s great. I just finished the whole archive. It’s quit funny but I think my favorite little bit was the story arc set in the fast food joint. I thought the writing played up real well. I notice that multi-part stories aren’t really the theme here but have you ever thought of following up with those characters?
Coyotejeff

Postby Sharkfin on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:25 pm

First off, THANK YOU for writing something in my forum. I was starting to consider taking my forum down.

I made the fast food story for an anthology published by Purrsia Press (a local mini comics publisher). I was only allotted five pages, and so it forced me to cramp the story, and made for some really unnatural sounding dialog. I’m surprised you liked it.

As far as continuing the fast food story; I haven’t really considered it. I suppose I could. Fast food is easily relatable, because most of us have been there at one time or another. And, about the only thing I was satisfied with on the first story was the character designs, so it would be fun to play with them again.

As you mentioned, holding a continuing story line is definitely not my forte. I’m normally way too scatterbrained to attempt it, but it’s not completely unlikely.

Thanks for reading, and please let your friends know about my comics :D
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby Coyotejeff on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:59 pm

I ran into a similar situation myself with a story I kind of had to chop off right at the end. I have a webcomic of my own at http://addtheater.net/and the Buffet Blues story arc comes to an abrupt end for a similar reason. But yeah, I liked the characterization in that. It worked for me.

This is a pretty lonely forum so if you end up getting rid of it I'll understand but it's fun having run of the place in the meanwhile.

I see you have a links section. I would be interested in trading links with you.
Coyotejeff

Postby Coyotejeff on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:58 pm

Hey Happy New year. I'm Back. Just a quick note to say I like the Character section you've added to your site and to say I Got the "Gothic" joke. Not to obscure for me.
Coyotejeff

Postby Indigo4789 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:58 pm

I didn't think the "Gothic" joke was obscure... until my little brothers read it.
"Those who dance are often considered insane by those who can't hear the music."
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Re: Off Topic Chit-Chat

Postby Tbolt on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:19 am

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your talent with us on the web, I picked up the comic off the Tales of the Questor page (I think) I just finished the archives, and I really enjoy your style and sense of humor, thanks again, and keep it up! =^^=
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharkfin on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:34 pm

It's always good to hear from someone who's reading my comics. It lets me know my comics are not just falling into the abyss.

You have given me motivation. Thank you
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:51 am

You're quite welcome! =^^=

You have a talent, and I know it is hard to get a forum started. Marketing is a necessary evil of life. I'd much rather do something rather than accost random strangers telling them I do it in the hope that they will join me. (Example: I run a bowling pin shoot at our local rod and gun club. I love the shoot, but it is just hard getting other people down there through word of mouth)

Thanks again for your continued work here! =^^=
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharkfin on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:12 pm

You wouldn't have much trouble getting me to go. I love guns. My final speech in my college "public speaking" class was about the carrying of hand guns for self defense. I got an A, even though I could tell the teacher didn't agree with the content of my speech.

That's part of what keeps me coming back to RH Junior's comics. We could always use more 2nd amendment cartoonist around.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby Indigo4789 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:22 am

Woot!! A pro-gun cartoonist is a rarity.

My mom and I have shot bowling pins many times before. They're actually how I learned to shoot. Unfortunately the local range doesn't offer pins, just paper.
"Those who dance are often considered insane by those who can't hear the music."
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:53 am

That is the greatest thing about the internet and webcomics. You really do have creative freedom to speak whatever is on your mind, regardless of what an editor, or political correctness has to say. Plus the fact that you can keep your own schedule helps a lot too. (Although go on too long a hiatus and your readership can quite readily evaporate)

The downside is trying to make money off it, but it makes a terrific hobby! =^^=

Congratulations on the A! A lot of colleges are notoriously liberal, and do not tolerate dissenting conservative opinions (In the name of diversity and free speech, of course) Where I went to college, I was in the last enclave of political / social conservatism ... The Engineering department. When they took a poll, they were sure to skip anyone that came out of the ME building! :lol:

I love recreational shooting, do you get a chance to go out shooting much?

http://tbolt.deviantart.com/art/Pin-Killaz-55230939

Please forgive the link, these are a few photos I pasted together showing what we do at the pin shoot =^^=
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Indigo4789 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:56 am

When we can, my mom and I head up to the local range on Wednesdays... Ladies' Night, so we get to shoot free. But it's not that often because we have crazy schedules.
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:26 am

Ah, that is the hardest part about organizing any regular event, trying to work around all the various schedules... I know a few guys who would love to try out our shoot, but one has a bible study at that time, another works second shift, and a third has another commitment.

Glad to hear that there are female shooters at the range! :D It is something glaringly absent at our events. Although I shouldn't complain too loudly (Women are inherently better shots than men! =^.^;;; )
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Indigo4789 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:47 am

Yep they are!! My mom used to do competition pistol shooting and usually beat most of the guys. I'm not as good as her, but she's had more years of practice.

But sometimes women shooters stay away from ranges because of the guys. I've been to a couple ranges where the men treat women like ditzes and ask if we're sure we can handle that big gun. Then when you shoot better than them, they become even more of a jerk.
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Postby Sharkfin on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:50 pm

We have a Sharif's office around here that gives free gun handling lessons to anyone who has a concealed weapons permit.
Come see my webcomic!!
Sharkfin
Regular Poster

Postby Indigo4789 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:40 pm

That's pretty cool. My mom has a couple CCW permits... and because most states honor permits from other certain states, she's pretty much got the east coast covered.

Definitely off-topic but I hate college financial aid offices. For some reason, the one at my college is being a pain in the rear right now.... and this is on top of finals. Image
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:15 am

Well, last wednesday was the first league pin shoot, we had the largest turnout I've ever had! 10 shooters, and everyone shot doubles, despite having 4 lanes, I was worried that we might run out of daylight!

Sorry to hear about the financial aid situation. With the current state of the economy, loans are getting difficult all around, and I've heard that this is starting to affect colleges.

Of course the price of college has gone up ridiculously too. When my dad got married, he started saving money for our college education. By the time I was born, he'd saved enough cash for a 4 year degree for each of us at Penn State. But by the time my sister graduated high school, the tuition had skyrocketed to the point where we all had to take out loans!

Maybe they need to build another football stadium...

*smack*

Bad Tbolt, stop dissing football! =>.<=
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Indigo4789 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:41 am

Actually, thankfully my college doesn't focus on sports much. We don't even have a football team and every time it gets voted on, the majority are usually against getting one.

You're right about the economy and loans. Luckily I didn't have to get a loan for this year of college, but I may have to get one for the upcoming year. Tuition is ridiculous even if you're an in-state student. I already know I'll be working two jobs this summer anyways. :(

Talked to the financial aid office again; how many frickin documents do they need to see to prove the point that I'm broke?!?!
Indigo4789
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Frog Skin Boots