Anime Festival 3

The lives of two self-proclaimed geek/gamer chicks as told by themselves. Sadly, we don't have to exaggerate much from reality.

Anime Festival VI

Postby Dennis Kininger on Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:37 pm

Since the kiddies are on Xmas break, that means it's time for this librarian to do another anime festival...and I believe this makes my sixth one!

I'll be doing it on Friday afternoon. I haven't decided what to show yet but I'll pull some stuff tonight.

Dennis
"It's impossible to be neat and tidy amidst the natural majesty of mountains of books."

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dennis Kininger on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:48 pm

Okay...I had my SIXTH anime festival for teenagers at the library where I work today.

Unfortunately, attendance was low: only three kids :cry:

However, I still got paid to sit on my ass, eat pizza and watch anime for two hours. My job rules sometimes! :wink:

Anyway, here's what I showed to the kids:

Episode three of RAMEN FIGHTER MIKI: MISO MAYHEM...Miki fights a dog and her mom beats her...heehee! Child abuse! :shucks: Actually, this is a rather amusing anime.

Episode two of HELL GIRL...This is a series I've recently started watching and I like it. An adorable little girl sends bad people to Hell. She nails a creepy stalker in this episode.

Episode five of NEON GENESIS EVANGELION...I can't believe I haven't shown an episode of this earlier! I say EVERYONE needs a dose of whiny, effeminate teenaged boys and gals with attitude. Plus I still have an anime crush on Misato! Okay, Shinji cops a feel in this episode! :shucks: Yeah, I still like this series...until it goes absolutely apeshit at the end and makes my head hurt trying to figure it out. :ick:

Episode one of INITIAL D ... Hey, I'm a guy, I like driving and cars! This series is a tad dated but still fun.

That was my sixth anime festival and I'm sure there'll be a seventh.

Dennis
"It's impossible to be neat and tidy amidst the natural majesty of mountains of books."

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby Special K on Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:24 am

<3 Asuka.
FFXI - Keahi, Haeruthien, & Airaria - Lakshmi Server

Captain I-can't-use-this-word-per-copyright-laws Bag is defiant and follows the rules!
Special K
Regular Poster

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:45 pm

I <3 INITIAL D
An aspiring artist i am, but a good one i am not

Captain Sam Kidd the greatest pirate in the world!
ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Jrm102 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:18 pm

Is it normal to say that for a short period of my life NGE nearly drove me insane? There were too many nights that I went to bed with NGE on the brain only to wake up wanting more. Anyways, gratz on your 6th festival. I'm currently working up the will power to check out a local anime meet up group and guess what...its going to be at a library too!!! Bless those binded pages of letters and stuff!!!
Jrm102
Regular Poster

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:08 pm

I'm starting a group that will meat at B&N. Its called 'The Historical Preenactment Club:because the best history hasn't happened yet.'

we will be doing little things like the 4th civil war and the taking of San Francisco with pillows, because lethal weapons had been outlawed by the new Geneva convention.

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Special K on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:47 am

That is awesome.

Captain I-can't-use-this-word-per-copyright-laws Bag is defiant and follows the rules!
Special K
Regular Poster

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 pm

I know I wish I'd thought of it but I was talking on another forum and we started brainstorming.

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Jrm102 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:11 pm

Hehe XD Choose your demise feathers or foam!
Jrm102
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:57 am

That's a great idea, Colonel! I'm partial to memory foam pillows...smack 'em in the face and then laugh at the image of their face still in the foam.

Yeah, I'm impressed to have done 6 anime festivals, hopefully the next one will be better attended. I've often thought about starting an actual anime club and my library is a perfect venue for it...however, since I suspect I'd be the only "adult" present, that means I'd have to do ALL the work and I'm lazy! :shucks:

**Kristy: Yeah, Asuka's a cool chick and all but I don't feel as pervy crushing on a fictional adult chick, than a fictional teen chick. So, that's why I dig Misato more. :wink:

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Anime Festival 7!!!

Postby Dennis Kininger on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:46 am

Yes, I'm officially doing my SEVENTH anime festival at my library on February 20. The kiddies have a week long winter break next month and I get to entertain them for an afternoon.

I've no idea what I'm going to show but I made myself a note to not forget about it by then.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:11 am

Cool your fests are becoming a regular thing than?

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:08 am

Heh!

Yeah, the kids dig me! :shucks:

Actually, I tend to do these festivals in conjunction with the school breaks here.

I did one during Christmas break, the one in February is for a "Winter Break"...whatever the hell, that's supposed to be. :roll: No, I don't recall having a winter break back in my school days. We can still get snow well into April here, though it tends to normally quit by mid-March so what are they getting a break from?

Apparently, the "grueling" schedule of a 180 day school year is too much to handle.

There's a Spring break of some sort in March or April (I forget) and I imagine I'll be asked to do a festival then. Summer tends to be filled up with the summer reading program activities and staff members are taking vacations so I don't know if I'll be doing a summer festival.

Anyway, I certainly don't mind doing them. The kids like them and ask about them. I've certainly got plenty of anime to show and I still get paid to do these.

I've thought about starting up a regular anime club but that usually means "Dennis does all the work". I've helped run clubs before and I'm currently involved in two history related clubs and getting members to do anything is like pulling the proverbial teeth.

Oh well...doing the anime fests is fun and that's what I like the most.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:09 pm

I know how that feels. I've been starting a club, but none of the people who joined will help find other people to join so we can be a real club. Which doesn't bod well for when we all need to start making costumes/fund raising.

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:56 am

*Sigh*

Yeah, that's all too true, Colonel.

I've been Treasurer for a History club (We have speakers who give lectures, slide shows, power point presentations, reenactments, etc...on various historical topics. We've had bus trips and do a monthly newsletter), which meets at my library, for roughly ten years or so (I've gotta check). My co-worker founded the club 13 years ago and she's the second President. She's been doing the President gig for years.

Every year, we go through the formality of elections and no one ever steps up to run or volunteer to take on the running of things. Being a Treasurer isn't hard and the VP basically has to do nothing. The few times that the President can't be there, I usually end up running the meetings.

However, the whole point of clubs, especially long running ones, is to have new blood running them every now and then. I don't plan to be at the library forever and my co-worker is some years older than me and she wants to retire but can't afford it.

My co-worker also founded a spin-off club called a "Civil War Round Table". There are a handful of these in New York state and I imagine there are others in different states. Our programs for that are all Civil War related. Yes, I've been the Treasurer of this club for years.

While there are many people who are willing to speak on historical topics, it's harder to find Civil War speakers. The Civil War group has had a handful of Presidents and, due to work commitments, my co-worker withdrew from active involvement some years back.

The Civil War group is considerably smaller than it used to be and we're still hanging on. The current President is a retired professor from one of the local colleges. He wants to step down. Being a Treasurer isn't hard but, quite frankly, I'm tired of the gig and I suspect the Civil War group will fold sometime this year due to lack of involvement/interest from the members.

My history club is actually doing very well. The accounts are healthy and we have nearly 100 dues paying members. However, it's doing well because my co-worker and I do all the work and I suspect it will end once she manages to retire and that'll be too bad. There really aren't many organizations which provide programming and entertainment for adult library users.

The comic book club I used to help run stopped local meetings due to lack of interest.

Yeah...keeping a group of any kind together isn't easy and when no one else wants to help, that just makes it even more frustrating and difficult.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:44 pm

thats why I used to surround myself with people who do things a work hard, but that blew up in my face when we graduated. They all moved away!! D:

So now if I want something done I have to appeal to the masses.

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:45 am

Heh!

Good luck with that.

Believe me, I can identify with you.

Dennis

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Postby ColonelMCmuf on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:38 pm

well it didn't happen. people down here apparently don't like the idea of standing up in front of people dressed like robots and monkeys.

ColonelMCmuf
Regular Poster

Postby Special K on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:32 am

That's a shame. It would have been awesome.

Special K
Regular Poster

Postby Dennis Kininger on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:34 pm

Psssh! :P

Pansies!

Yeah, that would've been awesome, though.

I have a vague grade school memory of dressing up as a robot. I think it was 3-5 grade (somewhere in those years). It wasn't for Halloween, I'm thinking it was some sort of project for art class or english class...I just don't recall precisely what it was. I remember other kids dressing up, we did something in front of the class in our outfits.

My costume was the basic cardboard boxes and tin foil and duct tape variety. I remember being proud that I had made the thing all by myself...I couldn't see that well out of it but I remember enjoying myself.

Oh yes! I also dressed up in a Planet of the Apes costume for Halloween in 5th or 6th grade.

So, I really have been a monkey AND a robot! Whee!

Dennis...in a silly mood at work.

Michelle...Read or Dream
Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Noses Optional