Ad Design Suggestions

Forum for discussing Emergency Exit, Undead Friend and other works by NJ Huff.

Ad Design Suggestions

Postby EmergencyExit on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:18 pm

So Dominic Deegan is taking ads again, and I've decided I'll buy my ad there instead just cause I have seen results from it before.

The ad has to be 75 pixels tall by 500 pixels wide. It cannot be animated.

What I'm wondering here is if anyone has suggestions for what might make a good EE ad giving these requirements, any thoughts welcomed, except those focused on "boobs". A bit more constructive than that.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Eheheh on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:25 pm

Well, a focus on boobs makes me for one less interested in checking out a comic, and I doubt I'm the only one, so good call there.

Erm... Bob-with-wings
Eddie-with-hammer and "Let's Play"
Something featuring Fred, 'coz Fred's cool.
Head shots of the main cast?

Come to think of it, I have no idea how big 75 by 500 pixels actually is so any suggestions I make could be wholly unworkable. :-?
Collecting evil laughter since 1993
Eheheh
Regular Poster

Examples are good

Postby EmergencyExit on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:39 pm

Eddie is most likely my default choice unless something really inspires me. The idea of using the slogan is good, I'll keep that one in mind.

Size of the banner for visual example:

EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Eheheh on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:36 pm

Aha, a visual guide, thanks.

Erm... Eddie to one side, Kyran to the other? Like, representing the opposing sides?
Eheheh
Regular Poster

Postby Roofpig on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:51 am

I was hoping to put my marketing skills to good use this weekend and help you out with some suggestions, but a certain Halloween costume needed to be finished. If I get a chance (and work is slow) I'll play around with some designs.

:-)
In due time, there will be something here. Other than this sentence that is.
Roofpig
Regular Poster

The Monarch is welcomed here

Postby EmergencyExit on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:29 am

roofpig wrote:I was hoping to put my marketing skills to good use this weekend and help you out with some suggestions, but a certain Halloween costume needed to be finished. If I get a chance (and work is slow) I'll play around with some designs.

:-)

Considering how your costume turned out, you are very excused. That is the best costume I've seen this year and perhaps in many years. All input is welcomed, no rush since it'll be while until I can even put out 5 comics for the ad week (assuming I reach the $50 goal, I'm over $30 so I'll at least update 4 times that week).
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Eheheh on Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:43 pm

I wanna see this costume now. *is much intrigued*
Eheheh
Regular Poster

Vote for awesome

Postby EmergencyExit on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Eheheh wrote:I wanna see this costume now. *is much intrigued*

It's his voting incentive on his site, so just head over to bardsworth.com to see it. It's really only awesome if you're familiar with The Venture Brothers however.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Come to me hits

Postby EmergencyExit on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:10 pm

Well I've done connected Mookie of DD for ad space. As of yesterday he had allot of free slots still, so hopefully I get the week I requested. Asked for the first week of December. I'll be just done with school then, with only one exam to take that week and it's my favourite subject so should be no problem for me to update four times that week. I say four because we're still $10 off from the goal of $50. As soon as I hear back from Mookie again I'll let everyone on the site know they're $10 away from a 5 day week. These new pages take me forever so $10 a day is a fair trade : P.

This is the ad design I ended up making:

EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby 834n on Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:58 am

I like the banner :o
My one suggesstion would be to put a little thicker of a black border around "let's play". It's kinda hard to read as is and I think that a bit more black behind it would make it pop out more without distracting from the overall piece.
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Damn you insignificant stroke!

Postby EmergencyExit on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:59 am

Possibly, I was really concern with the readableness of the text but only had Orion to go off of and trusted him when he said it was readable. It's already sent to Mookie and would feel a bit weird now asking him to re-take the banner with slightly bolder text, though as a fellow webcomic artist he might understand : P.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby 834n on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:57 am

Ah well. As I said it's not too important. If it's sent it's sent.
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Postby Eheheh on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:12 am

Nice :D
And I think the words are easy enough to read. Might just come down to a personal perception thing, to some people it's probably harder to read than for others. And basically that's what the conversation just established - I am the High Lord of Stating The Obvious.
Eheheh
Regular Poster

Woo

Postby EmergencyExit on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:38 am

Ok, FINALLY got confirmation from Mookie. It will be up during first week of December. Only took me sending two more e-mails to get his attention. And after sending the banner twice he needed it again, so I had time to make the text slightly bolder anyway just in case. Ima pay the $50 now, and hope to get good results in a couple weeks. Woo, 5 updates here I come : P.

I think Mookie has had less ads on DD lately mostly due to the fact he's horrible at responding to people : P.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Return to EE Comics