Vs. Battle Preliminaries

A forum where you can talk about SFFMW, ask questions about the comic, post fanstuff, and anything else (within reason, of course).

Vs. Battle Preliminaries

Postby SpriteMeister on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:27 pm

I'ma thinking of starting a series of threads in the style of a 'Person-vs-Person' game. I would like a few opinions on how yous would like it to be done. All of them will be one thread per battle, unless moved by me or Orange, as necessary.
I would also like help coming up with general rules for the battles (i.e. no omnipotency, instant-death moves, etc.).

Here's the breakdown:
The number of entrants will vary by round, with 2 as the standard.
As an entrant, you can either go as yourself or choose your warrior.
Once the entrants are selected and confirmed, the battle will begin with whoever posts first.
The players will then take turns saying what they do, and/or what they do in reaction to the previous post.
Once the alotted time has passed (again, decided at the beginning of the pattle), the winner will be announced by the judges (or myself, if we do it by vote).
Winners can be chosen by Vote or by Judge (permanent or selected per battle). If we decide on voting, then the treads will start off as a poll.
This is the thread in which the rules for each battle is chosen, as well as the warriors.

Thanks in advance to anyone deciding to help out.

P.S. I would prefer the battles be judged, so that this doesn't become an over-complicated version of Ultimate Fight Night.
P.P.S. I may get bored later and recreate some of these battles using sprites.
It's hard to forge someone's signature in Times New Roman.
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:35 am

Hmm, this sounds like fun, and is more well-organized than its counterpart on the Biffforums. I guess my first warrior is Granny Weatherwax. (good luck, opponent...)

My vote, too is for judge.
"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
"CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE."

Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:36 pm

Okay, for Battle #1
Entrants: 2 (SleepingOrange, Silfedac)
Warriors: Granny Weatherwax, Stephen Hawking
Duration: 20 Posts
Judge(s): SpriteMeister

I will fill in the blanks as the opportunites come. Once They are all filled in, I will create the first thread.

Let me know of any changes you want to make to these rules;

Definition: The start of the battle is when the topic for the battle is made.
1. No omnipotent characters
2. No instant-death moves; similarly
3. No "indestructable" warriors
4. If a particular warrior goes undefeated for three consecutive* battles, then that warrior cannot be used unless challenged.
5. You may challenge a specific person to a match before the next battle starts.
6. If an undefeated (via rule #4) warrior loses to a challenge, then they will be granted the right to battle until they win three consecutive* battles.
7. In battles with more than two contestants, contestants will not be permitted to join forces against another, unless specified before the battle. Any formal 'teaming up' will result in disqualificaton for all parties involved.
8. On that note, if two warriors *happen* to attack the same person, they will not be penalized. It is practically impossible to have a three-way battle where everyone attacks someone different.
9. If you use a warrior, you are not to do anything that the warrior wouldn't do or would be opposed to doing.
10. Always assume that the judge(s) do(es)n't know your character. This is to avoid things like what happened at the end of Vs. Battle #1.
11. Limit teleportation and illusion; by discretion of the judge. Inform the judge when taking any illusory action.
12. (Once we get enough participants for this to apply) Multiple battles may go on at the same time; however, they must be in different arenas unless arranged so before either battles start. If that is the case, then I will merge the battles into one thread and combine post limits, to minimize confusion when the battles interact.
13. You may choose to have your battle include the wreckage and debris, etc. from a previous battle. Again, this must be decided prior to the start of the battle.
14. You may (before the start of the battle) choose to use the first few posts of a battle for an exchange of words and non-battle actions (taunts). You should set a limit so that it stays brief. These will not count towards the post limit for the fight, unless it passes the limit or happens mid-battle. Also, you may start the fighting before the limit has been reached, assuming you don't use it as an opportunity for a pre-emptive strike (i.e. if your opponent does a handstand for his taunt you cannot push him over instead of taunting. You can however push him over as your counter-taunt, assuming it has no effect on the rest of the battle).
*Note that 'consecutive' does not count all battles, just ones involving that warrior.

For Judging:

1. The winner of a battle does not necessarily have to be the one who left the battle in better condition, but it is definately a factor. You may use whatever criteria you want to declare the winner, assuming that it is a fair asessment, and follows any rules below. Remember: the point is to have fun, not win (winning is just a bonus).
2. You don't have to tell anyone why you chose who you did, except for your fellow judges (if there are any). You should, however, give some reason so people don't question your abilities as a judge. This allows you to play the "I'm judge. What I say is final" card if a player is being too whiny.
3. Out of the list below, you should consider as many of the criteria as you think applies. The only one you HAVE to consider is the first one (after all, it is a battle).
Some possibilities for judging criteria:
General condition (physical, mental, etc.) of warriors
Players' strategy
Players' creativity
Players' involvement (taking time to make the posts more interesting, etc.)
Characters' involvement (whether they spent most of the battle hiding, etc.)
Players' style
What players had to resort to
Staying in-character

Spectators:
Spectators may not interfere with the battle, but may still post in the thread. Any actions taken by a warrior that effects the spectators specifically (see "DARLEEENE!" in Vs. Battle #2) do not count as part of that warrior's turn.

Also, I would like to start coming up with motives for our characters battling, as well as reasons for their being in the chosen arena.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Last edited by SpriteMeister on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Adding new rules, as always
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:55 pm

This game sounds cool, but I bet it would be even more fun if more than three people came on this forum. '~'
"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:29 pm

You want I should get some more Biffites over here?
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Da. I think they're the only ones likely to listen. Whether or not they'll actually COME is another story altogether.
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:03 pm

Alright, I've let peoples in the Bifforums that we need more peoples here. Now all we have to do is wait.
Yep, any moment now people will come rushing in.
...Any time now.
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby Silfedac on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:51 am

Any minute...
In other news, I fight Orange. I say the time should be a week, as I hardly ever have time to get online what with homework and all. My warrior is Steven Hawking.
Chaos, panic, and disorder...my work here is done.

"Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today
I wish that man would go away."
-Hugh Means
Silfedac
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:43 pm

I can see that Orange has taken the libery of filling in the blanks. It looks like we're ready to go; I'll start the first battle post.
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:03 pm

Update: I just added a new rule.
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby Darth Cloaked Guy on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:52 pm

This sounds fun. I've got a whole bunch of fighters I can import from another forum.

I'd like to participate sometime.
End of line.
Darth Cloaked Guy
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:14 pm

Okay, you'll be in the next battle then.

Edit: Um, folks, you only have two more days until the battle closes. You might want to do somthing or I'll have to judge on your taunts alone (I suppose I could change the duration to a specific post count).

Edit 2: Changed it to twenty posts. Seem okay?
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:54 pm

Yeah. Ever since you added in that 'in character' thing, I've been struggling to think what happens next. Fortunately, I guess I have some idea now...
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby Darth Cloaked Guy on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:38 pm

Perhaps, judging by how slow the current match is going, it would be prudent to set a time limit on posts.

Here's my idea: If a whole week elapses since Battler A posted his most recent action and Battler B has still not posted, Battler B should lose his turn, effectively being skipped.

Addendum: Perhaps preceding the match, a location should be set by either mutual agreement on the parts of the combatants, or, if not possible, by the Judge. This will allow resourceful characters to manipulate his/her surroundings to his/her advantage.
End of line.
Darth Cloaked Guy
Regular Poster

Postby Silfedac on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:09 pm

That would be a good idea, considering one of the fighters I'm thinking of bringing in.
Chaos, panic, and disorder...my work here is done.

"Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today
I wish that man would go away."
-Hugh Means
Silfedac
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:06 pm

I will keep that in mind for later battles.
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:08 pm

Battle #2
Entrants: 2 (Darth Cloaked Guy,SleepingOrange)
Warriors: Darth Cloaked Guy,Roseanne (Yeah, that Roseanne)
Duration: 20 posts (or until neither contestant can act)
Arena: Colosseum
Judge(s): SpriteMeister

Feel free to request any changes.
Last edited by SpriteMeister on Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:37 pm

Ahahahaha! Bow before your nasally master!
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:09 pm

In Soviet Vs. Battles, singularity crushes Roseanne.

Oh, and new rule (#10).
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:36 pm

So, whats, you want us to delineate our characters before-hand? Should we do that here or on the specific thread for our battle? Or should we create a new thread for describing our warriors? Would that thread store old warriors disqualified through too much winning? Could it create a log of whom we've used?
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Super Final Fantasy Mario World