Halloween event. (zombies or shinigamie?)

For sign-ups for genre-related dropdowns and to discuss and organise crossover events.

Shinigami or Zombies?

Shinigami
22%
Zombies
78%

Total votes : 9

Halloween event. (zombies or shinigamie?)

Postby VinnieD on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:18 pm

I'm thinking of running something for Halloween and I'm starting early so anyone participating will have plenty of time to get ready.

I'll gauge which one to run based on interest here.

Idea 1: Shinigami exchange program.
Anyone who's comic features death, grim reaper, shinigami, psychopomp, or otherwise some messenger of death type of character can participate.

This is sort of a crossover that goes on in the background. Whenever your grim reaper appears, instead of your reaper, you'll feature the grim reaper character from another comic in his/her place. Just the same someone else participating will feature your reaper into his or her comic. You can have as much or as little explanation as to why this is going on as you like. This would be done secret santa style with names shuffled around and handed out randomly. If you like this idea vote Shinigami, and maybe reply here if you have a reason.

Idea 2: KeenZombies (sorry, I'm old fashioned and like the Keen names)

This is a more involved idea that will be more demanding of the participants. I start a new comic called "keen zombies" to launch in october. The Keenzombies world is an amalgam of all webcomics on the net, and as such features characters from these comics. This world just happens to also be suffering from a horrific zombie plague.

What the participants do is submit comics that can be anything from a one shot to a lengthy story arc concerning their characters in this world. They can be still living or one of the un-dead, or some of both. You tell your own story in this world. Stories of survival or death, your call.

Anyone can submit a story at any time, it can be color, black and white, copy/paste, photocomic, sprite (as long as it's custom sprites) or whatever style of comic you please.

to keep things interesting, all types of zombies exist. Slow, fast, magical, smart, dumb and so fourth. It's assumed the zombies have their own means of communicating, so if you want to do a zombie centric arc, you can have them talk, just the same you can choose whether or not the living can understand them.

This is a bit demanding, and you'll basicly have to do a story arc within a deadline. I won't start posting anything that doesn't have some sort of ending (open endings are acceptable as long as it's a complete work and not abandoned)
Vote Zombies if you want to do this.

Those are my ideas. I only have the time and energy to devote to one of these (however if anyone wants to take over the loser idea they're welcome to) So let me know if you're interested and which one.
Image Image
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby Redtech on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:27 am

I like the Shingami idea, except I have no "Avatars of doom". I do have a leviating metallic robo-frog-thing, but I'd have to dress her up and is not the same thing.

So Keen--BraaaaaaaiiiiiiiiNNNNNNNssss! is my vote, I guess. I've already nearly finished a Zombie story arc!
Sometimes the failed experiments are the ones that don't try to kill you
Redtech
Regular Poster

Postby Phact0rri on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:24 am

the Shinigami idea would really limit participation.

the zombie idea would be hard to get it all together.

*just playing devil's advocate really
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby VinnieD on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:04 pm

Well the zombie idea isn't too different from the current Keenswim event or Keenlace. The only difference is the participants would send in comics instead of single pieces of art.

So yes Shinigami would limit participation, but just about as much as the work demands of Keen Zombies. That's why I'm putting up a poll here to gauge who'd be willing to participate in either.
Image Image
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby Phact0rri on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:58 pm

VinnieD wrote:Well the zombie idea isn't too different from the current Keenswim event or Keenlace. The only difference is the participants would send in comics instead of single pieces of art.

there was actually something simular to keen swim and lace a few years ago called Keenspooks. it was a lot of fun.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby Redtech on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:40 am

An interesting compromise is to "create" an avatar of doom. I.E. giving someone the powers of the grim reaper or opening the Necromicon or stealing the Ring of Power, that sort of lark.

Might be a tad more open, although you can't really go the whole "OMFG, she's got Cthulu's head!" across multiple strips. :ick:
Sometimes the failed experiments are the ones that don't try to kill you
Redtech
Regular Poster

Postby VinnieD on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:18 pm

Guessing by the current votes, it looks like Keen Zombies will be happening come october.

I'll go ahead and get the website ready. I'll officially start taking submissions in august and launch at the start of October. 2 months to get your hideous rotting zombies in order.
Image Image
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby Datachasers on Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:30 pm

i was hoping for something like Keenswim sadly im not sure if anything i have would work , my strip really doesnt fit well with crossovers - they both sound really cool though :D
Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.
-- R. Heinlein
Datachasers
Regular Poster

Return to Dropdowns and Crossovers