Movie Obsessions?

A cool place to be totally lame.

Movie Obsessions?

Postby 011010110 on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:42 am

And as if the musical obsession wasn't enough...

I have watched Hellboy and The Punisher about ten times apiece; I don't know if it's just that I love comic book movies, or what.

And, of course, I have seen It's a Wonderful Life more times than I should admit--"Merry Christmas, Mr. Potter!"--and yet I will watch it again this month.

Come on, tell me what movie you've watched a hundred times--especially if it's "The Sound of Music" because that's my wife's fave.

Anybody out there?
No, YOU shut up!

Postby Nanda on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:33 pm

At present count, I've gone to the theaters to see "Little Miss Sunshine" six times. And the DVD comes out this month. :D At home, I could watch "Vibes" with Cyndi Lauper and Jeff Goldblum all day, every day. (Why is it always the stupid movies we can watch ad nauseum?)
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby 011010110 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 am

I have a theory about that--it's pretty lame, and it involves tired analogies about snowflakes and fingerprints--but basically boils down to everyone getting affected differently by the music or the movie. There is literally no predicting who will like what--or how much they will like it.

That's why I looove the movie Mumford and it seems like no one else has heard of it.
No, YOU shut up!

Postby Nanda on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:04 am

I watched Edward Scissorhands again last night - it's my favorite movie of all movies. It always makes me cry, without exception. Repeatedly, throughout the entire film; not just at one or two certain points. It's just so damned heartbreaking.
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby 011010110 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:35 am

Well, now, there's one movie that makes me cry: I Am Sam. I think it's because I have a little girl--and we might be having another one--and I just spend the whole movie thinking how devastated I would be if my babies were taken away.

A long time ago, when I was a kid, there was a cartoon movie that made me cry, but now I think I've blocked it out of my mind. It was something silly, like Sleeping Beauty, but I would just get so into the movie that I couldn't help it.

Now I like scary movies a lot more--and I still get way too involved. In Arachnophobia, when that first spider jumps on the camera? Freaks! Me! Out! Every! Time!
No, YOU shut up!

Postby Dreams on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:53 pm

um, i've heard of mumford! i actually own it! love it, too. light harted comedy with a dark side. fun times! :D that and two of my faves - zooey dachunel and jason lee! :D

movies i've watched more times than i can possibly count:

Princess Bride - can quote most of it
Goonies - sean astin was love, in the 7th grade when i first saw it
Labyrith - david bowie is *always* love :D
Scrooged - just the thing to get me in a holiday mood
bridget jones diary, about a boy, bubble boy, empire records, eternal sunshine, galaxy quest, heartbreakers, hitchhikers guide, lvoe actually, notting hill, serenity, tarzan, signs, village, wedding singer, when harry met sally, the list goes on and on....
ow! my soul!
Dreams
Regular Poster

!!!

Postby 011010110 on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:38 am

Hey! I saw 'Failure to Launch' a while back, and I couldn't figure out why Zooey looked so familiar; it had just been a while since I saw Mumford, and she's grown up a little. But every time I see "My Name is Earl" I remember where I saw that guy the first time.

LOVE Labyrinth, too--when I was a kid, I loved any movie with puppets in it. Dark Crystal was awesome--and can you believe they said they're making a sequel to that?

I'm probably the only guy I know that saw Bridget Jones' Diary--favorite scene: "It's Raining Men" blasting in the background while Colin Firth and Hugh Grant come smashing through the window!!! Wooooot! (Ahem. Second favorite: Renee running down the street in her underwear.) And if you're a Battlestar Galactica Fan, you get the bonus of seeing Gaius Baltar when he was just Gaius. (Ouch on the pun.)
No, YOU shut up!

Postby Peaches on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:03 am

I don't know if I've seen any movie too many times, but each episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 had a full-length movie in it. My favorite is still "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank", though my sister and I both also love "Invasion of the Neptune Men".
Peaches
Regular Poster

!!!

Postby 011010110 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:36 am

MST3K FTW, totally.

I have been trying to organize an event with my siblings--five brothers and me--where we film ourselves from behind while we watch some movie and heckle it to death. It's what we do anyway, and it would be nice to have; my kids have already started doing it during Disney movies.

My kids have a movie obsession that I share with them: Pirates of the Caribbean--the first one. I haven't let them see the sequel yet. We used to watch it at least once a week. Who doesn't love Captain Jack Sparrow?
No, YOU shut up!

Postby Alecks on Sat May 19, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm dying to watch A Scanner Darkly and Goodwill Hunting (Elliott Smith's music is so amazing!).

And there's always a place in my heart for A Walk to Remember- it played it's formulaic cards right into my sappy little soul.

And then there's Harold and Maude, The Big Lebowski, Dead Poet's Society (hey, it's got lotsa cool Taoist and Confucian themes), The Princess Bride, Bubba Hotep, and The Royal Tenenbaums.
Alecks

Postby Ruby Falls on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:39 pm

Oh, damn, where to begin?

Anything Tim Burton, Mel Brooks, or Ed Wood, Benny and Joon, What's eating Gilbert Grape?, Star Wars, Rent, Hairspray, Rocky Horror Picture Show, LOTR, The Court Jester, Beatles movies, Wayne's World, original Wallace and Gromit, To Kill a Mockingbird, Princess Bride, Truman Show, Tommy Boy, Wizard of Oz, Wedding Singer, Animal House, Some Like it Hot, Fish Called Wanda, Arsenic and Old Lace, Brave Little Toaster, Mr. Holland's Opus, Monty Python stuff, Back to the Future, Willy Wonka,good old-fashioned Disney, most musicals, oh, God, I will be here all day if I don't stop.

Sorry for the painfully long list. Let's go with "virtually everything Ruby has seen".
Antici...
Ruby Falls
Cartoon Hero

Location: In a dark chamber being forced to listen to Vogon poetry

Postby Nanda on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:08 am

Have you seen the new Hairspray yet? I liked it.
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ruby Falls on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:23 am

I'm gonna see it with some friends this week. I'm excited. Christopher Walken is incredible. The original is great, too. I love Divine. He made such a great woman!
Antici...
Ruby Falls
Cartoon Hero

Postby Nanda on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:41 am

Christopher Walken is fantastic. Every other word out of his mouth is hilarious, and it's not that he's saying anything funny, it's just him.
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ruby Falls on Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

And he's so frickin' scary, too. I didn't even know he was scary (I am an SNL freak) until I saw Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. What a wakeup! All the reviews of Hairspray I've seen though are all totally focused on Travolta being in drag. Get over yourselves, we aren't blind, people!
Antici...
Ruby Falls
Cartoon Hero

Postby Nanda on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:03 pm

Ruby Falls wrote:And he's so frickin' scary, too. I didn't even know he was scary (I am an SNL freak) until I saw Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. What a wakeup! All the reviews of Hairspray I've seen though are all totally focused on Travolta being in drag. Get over yourselves, we aren't blind, people!

Travolta was tough to get used to - he looks like a dude in a fat suit, instead of...well, Devine. But after the second time I saw it, I started to adjust and see him as a characeter.

Christopher Walken was creepy for me first, then funny later in life. I grew up watching creepy Walken movies like "The Dead Zone" and "The Deer Hunter."
Image Image
Nanda
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ruby Falls on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:17 pm

Well, Divine WAS actually fat. I guess that makes it a bit different. He is one of the few actors that can scare me in daylight. I started watching Tim Burton at the age of 2. He can be scary when he wants to. I never really started to realize how twisted Nightmare could be until 10 years later. (Still favorite movie ever.)
Antici...
Ruby Falls
Cartoon Hero

Return to Ugly Girl