The depiction of a manacled Celeste

The court of Charles 'the Mad', king of all France. Discussion of most topics both welcome and encouraged.

The depiction of a manacled Celeste

Postby Itwast on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:59 pm

That last panel of Celeste in anquish is very realistic and very powerful. I do not think a sensitive soul would not be moved by her plight. Even though she may have a malicious component to her personality, she herein appears weak and vulnerable.

To think that many poor souls throughout history have experienced such captivity "for real." No rescuers or heroes came to their aid. It is difficult to comprehend how cruel human beings can be to each other in their quest for power, control or amusement.

I hope for a turning of the tables - soon!!! I hope I do not hope in vain.
I think I am alive but probably not.
Itwast

Postby Renard on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:52 pm

The melodrama amuses me. :-)

You must admit, Quixotic desires to spring the "princess" notwithstanding, that the prison itself is well done. We may have scripted it a little slow again, unfortunately, but I think it really showcases what Mel can do.
Renard
Regular Poster

The prison those walls make

Postby Itwast on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:29 am

The image is stunning. The medieval yet formidable architecture of the stone walls confining their hapless captive serve up a very potent brew of terror and perhaps, a sense of hopelessness. Escape appears exactly impossible!!

When I saw the last few strips, I thought they were virtually unique in webcomic history. They put a huge bite into your brain and you feel the entrenched teeth of it even after you've gone on to other mundane matters.

A person will either feel great empathy toward Celeste's plight or they will voyeuristically delight in her savage peril. Some are capitivated by beauty's bondage and others, like Don Quixote, wish to rescue her.

Personally, I think I'd be a poor joke of a knight. I'm sure I'd end up in chains, just as she has. Drowning victims tend to pull their would-be rescuers underwater and a rescuer needs to be cognizant of that factor in order to successfully save the person.

I wonder if this could be true analogously in life in somehow. If you attempt to rescue someone from any particular sort of problem, do you yourself risk succumbing to that problem as well?
I think I am alive but probably not.
Itwast

Return to Fortune's Fools