Neither did I, but so what. Muffin called me awesome, and that's what matters. *kisses Muffin on the tip of his nose*aeridus wrote:I didn't know Dragoon was a sir...Kittyboymuffin wrote:That pun made me wince like I'd just sucked on a lemon. You are awesome, sir.prettydragoon wrote:Swift f1337.
34,000 lbs of bananas...
Forum rules
- Consider all threads NSFW
- Inlined legal images allowed
- No links to illegal content (CG-wide rule)
- Consider all threads NSFW
- Inlined legal images allowed
- No links to illegal content (CG-wide rule)
- Prettydragoon
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1981
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am
- Location: Finland, Finland, Finland
- Contact:
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!
- Kittyboymuffin
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2596
- Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:51 pm
- Location: Earth
- Contact:
*purrs and nuzzles* ^^
And it was a generalized "sir" that applied more to the statement than to the person. ("You, ma'am, are awesome" doesn't sound as good for some reason.)
And it was a generalized "sir" that applied more to the statement than to the person. ("You, ma'am, are awesome" doesn't sound as good for some reason.)
A catboy is fine too. And I dancedancedance and I dancedancedance!
Kinkymuffin ^^
Quote: "The only thing better than tentacles is twentyacles." -- Dori, at TS MUSH
Kinkymuffin ^^
Quote: "The only thing better than tentacles is twentyacles." -- Dori, at TS MUSH
- Prettydragoon
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1981
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am
- Location: Finland, Finland, Finland
- Contact:
Ah so. I think I see what you mean. Masculine forms often feel more "neutral" because of long habit and so tend to be the default. *shrug* We'll just have to try to fix that.
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!
- Honor
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3775
- Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:02 am
- Location: Not in the Closet
- Contact:
In most of my game and/or fiction universes, female Knights, Admirals, Captains, etc, tend to use the honorific "Sir" as well...
It's not a matter of imitating males or "joining their club" as much as it is a matter of simply informing them that they were mistaken in thinking it was "their" club to begin with...
Having two distinct honorifics for, for instance, a commanding officer just strikes me as sexist and re-enforcing gender based stereotypes... It means that there is some functional difference between two Admirals because one of them has a vagina.
It's not a matter of imitating males or "joining their club" as much as it is a matter of simply informing them that they were mistaken in thinking it was "their" club to begin with...
Having two distinct honorifics for, for instance, a commanding officer just strikes me as sexist and re-enforcing gender based stereotypes... It means that there is some functional difference between two Admirals because one of them has a vagina.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered...."

Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...
The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com
Warning: Xenophile.

Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...
The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com
Warning: Xenophile.
- RedMage007
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 113
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:24 am
- Location: Utah, Oh god please save me
- Contact:
I just want to point out honor that some languages have completely different words depending on gender. Spanish being a major offender in this area.
Since I'm pointing things out. I'm hung over. Women are evil. And my knuckles are bleeding and brusied. I suspect the three are related but I have no clear memory of why.
Since I'm pointing things out. I'm hung over. Women are evil. And my knuckles are bleeding and brusied. I suspect the three are related but I have no clear memory of why.
- Honor
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3775
- Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:02 am
- Location: Not in the Closet
- Contact:
True... But not wholly insurmountable...
In most of those languages, everything in life is divided into masculine, feminine, and neutral genders. In German, for instance, rattlesnakes are feminine, mirrors are masculine, and boats are neuter (just a completely random selection - the first item I thought of in each class)...
What was the logic that drove those original classifications? Who knows. But there, just as anywhere else (and perhaps more-so than in some places) standards can change... No reason we can't just start calling appropriately appointed women Herr Admiral. ;-)
"He says, 'Call me, Miss DiFranco, if there's anything I can do.' I say, 'It's Mister DiFranco to you...'."
"Women are Evil" always reminds me of a biker joke/saying... "Never trust anything that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die." XD
In most of those languages, everything in life is divided into masculine, feminine, and neutral genders. In German, for instance, rattlesnakes are feminine, mirrors are masculine, and boats are neuter (just a completely random selection - the first item I thought of in each class)...
What was the logic that drove those original classifications? Who knows. But there, just as anywhere else (and perhaps more-so than in some places) standards can change... No reason we can't just start calling appropriately appointed women Herr Admiral. ;-)
"He says, 'Call me, Miss DiFranco, if there's anything I can do.' I say, 'It's Mister DiFranco to you...'."
"Women are Evil" always reminds me of a biker joke/saying... "Never trust anything that bleeds for seven days and doesn't die." XD
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered...."

Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...
The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com
Warning: Xenophile.

Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...
The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com
Warning: Xenophile.
- RedMage007
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 113
- Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:24 am
- Location: Utah, Oh god please save me
- Contact:
- Honor
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3775
- Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:02 am
- Location: Not in the Closet
- Contact:
::hugs the Mage...::
Always remember your Kipling, hon... "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."
The fact that not all women are heartless and evil all the time is of very little consolation when one has ripped your heart out through your genitals, pierced it with her heels, and pooped inside.
Sadly, I've been there more than once myself.
Always remember your Kipling, hon... "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."
The fact that not all women are heartless and evil all the time is of very little consolation when one has ripped your heart out through your genitals, pierced it with her heels, and pooped inside.
Sadly, I've been there more than once myself.
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered...."

Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...
The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com
Warning: Xenophile.

Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...
The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com
Warning: Xenophile.
I always thought that was very wierd. Both because it's a totally unnecessary complication and because it gives the impression that whoever came up with it was schizophrenic and thought everything was alive or something.Honor wrote:In German, for instance, rattlesnakes are feminine, mirrors are masculine, and boats are neuter (just a completely random selection - the first item I thought of in each class)...
Using seperate pronouns for things that actually are male or female is bad enough.
- Seth Marati
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 514
- Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:26 am
- Contact:
A more serious inquiry: What is it about Volvos that make them perfect lesbian trucks?
Anecdote: A few years back, I was riding on Interstate 390 when we passed a truck whose trailer had been painted a rich and rather lustrous purple. On top of the purple, there was a landscape of the North American highlands at sunset, with a small group of cougars facing off against a pack of wolves. Somewhere on or near the picture, there was written "Life's too short to drive an ugly truck."
Anecdote: A few years back, I was riding on Interstate 390 when we passed a truck whose trailer had been painted a rich and rather lustrous purple. On top of the purple, there was a landscape of the North American highlands at sunset, with a small group of cougars facing off against a pack of wolves. Somewhere on or near the picture, there was written "Life's too short to drive an ugly truck."
"No self-respecting alien would let zombies beat them to the punch." - Warflyzor
- Honor
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3775
- Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:02 am
- Location: Not in the Closet
- Contact:
::grins::Seth Marati wrote:A more serious inquiry: What is it about Volvos that make them perfect lesbian trucks?
'cause it's only two letters away from "Vulva"... Which is what most people mean when they say "Vagina".
*mea culpa... yes... me too. I'm guilty. Even I sometimes say "vagina" when talking about the vulva. It's just such a cool word. Say it with me... "v a g i n a" See...? Doesn't that just feel wonderful on the tongue? ;-)
"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered...."

Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...
The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com
Warning: Xenophile.

Blogging and ranting at: The Devil's Advocate... See also...
The semi-developed country... http://www.honormacdonald.com
Warning: Xenophile.
-
Foolosophy
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 499
- Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:08 pm
- Seth Marati
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 514
- Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:26 am
- Contact:
Oof... I've been punned. Twice. (What sort of emoticon best conveys the feeling behind a deadpan expression combined with a knowing grin? Maybe
) I thought it might have been something about how the trucks were designed, though I had a sneaking suspicion it was nothing but the linguistic similarity already touched upon. But I suppose that works. What lesbian wouldn't want to take a ride on one of those?
Regarding gender relations and language: This reminds me of something I've wanted to discuss with people before. I think one of the bigger problems with this sort of thing is that in a lot of areas, women tend to be treated as if they're a deviation from the norm, instead of halves of a pair whose elements complement one another. Salient examples elude me right now, but I'll do my best: we have "girl gamers"; we have a PGA and an LPGA; we have success stories that center their premise around the fact that the subject in question is female. When men are set up as "the thing" and women are set up as "something else", it makes it all the harder for both sexes to really intermingle and cooperate, since it reduces the common ground we perceive.
I wonder then, when it comes to language, is there a similar problem with the words "man" and "woman"? The latter appears to have a base in the former, which would reflect the problem mentioned above. Personally, though, I've always felt making a big deal out of that (see: "womyn") was silly, especially since, as I understand it, the etymology behind the word relates back to a prefix-base system that applied to both sexes. By older rules, "man" would just be a base meaning "human", and we'd have a prefix for males just as we have the "wo" prefix for females. Except, a lot of contemporary speakers don't know about that, and the fact that we no longer have a male prefix seems to indicate something's amiss. So now I don't really know what to think of it.
Regarding gender relations and language: This reminds me of something I've wanted to discuss with people before. I think one of the bigger problems with this sort of thing is that in a lot of areas, women tend to be treated as if they're a deviation from the norm, instead of halves of a pair whose elements complement one another. Salient examples elude me right now, but I'll do my best: we have "girl gamers"; we have a PGA and an LPGA; we have success stories that center their premise around the fact that the subject in question is female. When men are set up as "the thing" and women are set up as "something else", it makes it all the harder for both sexes to really intermingle and cooperate, since it reduces the common ground we perceive.
I wonder then, when it comes to language, is there a similar problem with the words "man" and "woman"? The latter appears to have a base in the former, which would reflect the problem mentioned above. Personally, though, I've always felt making a big deal out of that (see: "womyn") was silly, especially since, as I understand it, the etymology behind the word relates back to a prefix-base system that applied to both sexes. By older rules, "man" would just be a base meaning "human", and we'd have a prefix for males just as we have the "wo" prefix for females. Except, a lot of contemporary speakers don't know about that, and the fact that we no longer have a male prefix seems to indicate something's amiss. So now I don't really know what to think of it.
"No self-respecting alien would let zombies beat them to the punch." - Warflyzor
I cannot keep gender straight for anything, even in English.
ME: "Yes, Aunt Larry? What, Uncle Anne? ...I mean..."
ME: "Yes, Aunt Larry? What, Uncle Anne? ...I mean..."
I'm one of those people who will point it out when people use the wrong word. Also, I rather prefer "vulva". It sounds so much more pettable, with the same "uh" and "l" sounds as "snuggle" and "cuddle".Honor wrote:*mea culpa... yes... me too. I'm guilty. Even I sometimes say "vagina" when talking about the vulva. It's just such a cool word. Say it with me... "v a g i n a" See...? Doesn't that just feel wonderful on the tongue?
I'M HERE TO LEARN HOW TO KICK ASS FROM UNCLE GHASTLY.kingofthemorlocks wrote:Pardon me, my parents are having sex. Now, where did I put that broom...?
Vulva: for the vagina with a purring engine.
Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer
- Prettydragoon
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1981
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am
- Location: Finland, Finland, Finland
- Contact:
Unlike many Finns, I can usually tell the difference between him and her. Uh, what I mean is, in Finnish there is only one third person singular pronoun. So, confusing the two that English has is a typical mistake Finns will make.jpnadia wrote:I cannot keep gender straight for anything, even in English.
ME: "Yes, Aunt Larry? What, Uncle Anne? ...I mean..."
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!
If I wasn't lazy as shits, I'd do a pic with the volvo logo reading "Vulva" and the male symbol in it turned into the female symbol.Honor wrote:::grins::Seth Marati wrote:A more serious inquiry: What is it about Volvos that make them perfect lesbian trucks?
'cause it's only two letters away from "Vulva"... Which is what most people mean when they say "Vagina".
*mea culpa... yes... me too. I'm guilty. Even I sometimes say "vagina" when talking about the vulva. It's just such a cool word. Say it with me... "v a g i n a" See...? Doesn't that just feel wonderful on the tongue?
The gospel preacher, the hostile teacher/The face of God with an impostor's features
This is the prophecy - the cult leader/The people's temple, the holy ground, the war compound
Four-pound to rifles, disciples, the holy idles/Supreme truth, the cult leader with the green tooth
The multi-millionaire with a stare that can freeze troops/I program people to kill
The motiviational speaker, my words cause people to feel/It's mind control, let the cult leader guide your soul
Open up your eyes to the lies he told/The general, the chief, I be the political pioneer
The cult leader, you can believe in me, I am here/Bless the children, take you under my wing, shelter
Helter Skelter, this is it, you can't kill me I'll exist forever. Cult Leader!
This is the prophecy - the cult leader/The people's temple, the holy ground, the war compound
Four-pound to rifles, disciples, the holy idles/Supreme truth, the cult leader with the green tooth
The multi-millionaire with a stare that can freeze troops/I program people to kill
The motiviational speaker, my words cause people to feel/It's mind control, let the cult leader guide your soul
Open up your eyes to the lies he told/The general, the chief, I be the political pioneer
The cult leader, you can believe in me, I am here/Bless the children, take you under my wing, shelter
Helter Skelter, this is it, you can't kill me I'll exist forever. Cult Leader!
- Kittyboymuffin
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2596
- Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:51 pm
- Location: Earth
- Contact:
A friend of mine, while we were playing with They Fight Crime ("He's an otherworldly guerilla dog-catcher possessed of the uncanny powers of an insect. She's a cosmopolitan gypsy cab driver with a birthmark shaped like Liberty's torch. Together, they fight crime! ") once, said he was waiting for "He's a girl. She's not," which now I wanna actually use for something. :3
A catboy is fine too. And I dancedancedance and I dancedancedance!
Kinkymuffin ^^
Quote: "The only thing better than tentacles is twentyacles." -- Dori, at TS MUSH
Kinkymuffin ^^
Quote: "The only thing better than tentacles is twentyacles." -- Dori, at TS MUSH
Loli Vs Shota, the Capcom game?
Village Idiot Vs World webcomic and other works of art
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy shit! What a ride!’ "
~Mavis Leyrer
- Prettydragoon
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1981
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:35 am
- Location: Finland, Finland, Finland
- Contact:
WangyJohn wrote:If I wasn't lazy as shits, I'd do a pic with the volvo logo reading "Vulva" and the male symbol in it turned into the female symbol.
This webcomic, seen here is hosted on the free web host Comic Genesis which pretty much proves its not popular.
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!
Oh noes! Read all about the tormented artist I am!