Movie discussion thread

A place to discuss my comic, and for general talk.
TheKOT
Regular Poster

Movie discussion thread

Post by TheKOT »

Tiako wrote:Yeah, World's End replaced no ending with merely a bad one. I enjoyed he movie, but the ending is terrible, and I wish there was a place to properly debate this.
ask and ye shall recieve.

Firstly, I loved the ending. I found it unpredictable and delightfully wistful. I like the fact that it wasn't all happy, but there was a sort of subtle beauty about it. I like how Jack ends as he began, on a tiny boat. Come to think of it, the series ends how it began with a kid singing that song. It just felt conclusive with room for the imagination, and satisfying yet not overly-happy.
Founding member and supreme emperor for life of the Ione fan club.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Post by TakatoGuil »

Just about everyone returned to where they started, really. Except the dead people. And anyone who didn't appear in all three movies.

And Elizabeth/Will, of course... And they're pretty lucky that the fruits of their "expedition" on that little island showed up at all...
Known as "Legendary" in the OOTS Forums.

Now I will torment the other Legendary forever.

Tiako
Regular Poster

Post by Tiako »

I think the director lost focus in this one. The reason Pirates 1 was so great was because it was gleefully ridiculous, really lacking all seriousness. I think a completely happy ending would have actually fit the movie better.

As to the movie itself, it was too long, drastically overused the slow motion walk towards the camera, and took itself too seriously. Despite that, I found enough to enjoy that I do like the movie.

Oh, and what happens at the end? I really don't think I can spend eight dollars and two and a half hours to watch a minute of footage.

TheKOT
Regular Poster

Post by TheKOT »

Tiako wrote:I think the director lost focus in this one. The reason Pirates 1 was so great was because it was gleefully ridiculous, really lacking all seriousness. I think a completely happy ending would have actually fit the movie better.

As to the movie itself, it was too long, drastically overused the slow motion walk towards the camera, and took itself too seriously. Despite that, I found enough to enjoy that I do like the movie.

Oh, and what happens at the end? I really don't think I can spend eight dollars and two and a half hours to watch a minute of footage.
Well it seems there are two schools of thought on this one. People either love the fact that the ending wasn't all sunshine and buttercups or they hate it.
I mean, Will lives, he and Elizabeth get married, Will's father lives and is freed, Barbosa lives, Jack lives, all the crew lives...
But of course, unless everybody ends up in a sublime situation the ending wasn't happy enough. Besides, it's the writers, not the director, who made the ending.

I thought the movie was a fine length. Really it doesn't matter how long a movie is as long as it is entertaining throughout. I don't remember any slow-mo walks to the camera and I found the jokes and jack cut the seriousness nicely. I mean, everyone was just having tea all the time, no matter how dire the situation.

At the end we see "ten years later"... cut to a grassy cliff overlooking a beach, a little kid(almost certainly will & elizabeth's son) skipping towards the edge singing "yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me". We then see Elizabeth walking behind him smiling, and as the sun sets both look on expectantly and there is a flash of green, which we only see in that it illuminates Elizabeth's face. Next we see Will holding on to the ropes of the dutchman and looking towards shore. as the scene fades we see the dutchman heading towards shore and the backs of onlooking Elizabeth & son.

Why does anybody leave before the credits are over at pirates movies? Haven't ye learned to wait?

Waf
Regular Poster

Post by Waf »

Tiako wrote:Oh, and what happens at the end? I really don't think I can spend eight dollars and two and a half hours to watch a minute of footage.
Youtube, Youtube, a pirates life for me.

Hazardswake
Regular Poster

Post by Hazardswake »

>.> <.<
I still haven't seen the second Pirates movie.
Hazard's Wake - fantasy webcomic in an RPG world.

Katsu

Post by Katsu »

This movie coined the term "leg-job"

Tiako
Regular Poster

Post by Tiako »

[quote="theKOT']Well it seems there are two schools of thought on this one. People either love the fact that the ending wasn't all sunshine and buttercups or they hate it.[/quote]
I though I gave this a response. The issue for me isn't that I only like happy endings, after all, Spartacus is one of my favorite movies, and nobody could call that ending "happy" (Except Crassus, I suppose). My issue is that I think that the tone pf the ending should fit the movie, or, in this case, the series as a whole, and a "mixed" ending, to my mind, doesn't fit the silliness of the Pirates movies. For example, I thought the Jack ending was fantastic, because it was silliness and the "To adventure!" feeling that makes us love the movies. It fit the tone perfectly. The Will ending, however, does not fit the tone well at all, to my mind.

Nico

Post by Nico »

I wasn't too fond of the movie as a whole (Loved the first and liked the second), but the ending sucked. Not Jack's ending -- that gave me hope that Pirates four will be better then Pirates 3.

Will's ending, on the other hand, need some work:
A. If Elizabeth truly loves him why didn't she join on as the crew?
B. Will and Elizabeth helped Calipso -- couldn't they have cut a better deal then once in ten years?
C. Their poor kids not ever really going to know his father.
D. Ten years later Elizabeth still looks great. In another ten? Twenty? How about sixty years later when she's a very old lady and Will is the same age when he left? Even better, how about 100 years later when his wife and son are dead?

As I said before the entire film needed work, but the ending was as unfulfilling as they come. If you make a sad ending (which as noted before doesn't really fit Pirates) then why not make Will dead - as it is his life seems more like a curse then a blessing.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Post by TakatoGuil »

A. Something sexist, no doubt.
B. Calypso's only reason for not killing them, the Bretheren Court, was because someone who'd survived from the time of her sealing was still "alive."
C. Sux to be him.
D. Actually, according to wiki, Will was freed because he met his oath and Elizabeth had still been there for him. A scene was taken out in which Tia Dalma explains this.

In all honesty, the ending becomes sort of... bittersweeet. Not quite Pirates, but better than nothing.

And Pirates 4? I hope not. They'd have to recast Elizabeth, cause Keira said she doesn't wanna come back for fear of being typecast (something which is starting to happen to her).

TheKOT
Regular Poster

Post by TheKOT »

Yeah I didn't get this either but aparantly it is part of the legend of the lost dutchman: If your love stays faithful you get released from the curse. My friend who likes opera(blech) told me that fact is in an opera.

Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Post by Legendary »

TakatoGuil wrote:D. Actually, according to wiki, Will was freed because he met his oath and Elizabeth had still been there for him. A scene was taken out in which Tia Dalma explains this.
"Seriously, guys, why do we have to include the scene necessary for understanding the ending of the movie? Why not just cut that out and put in a bit more slapstick with that adorable monkey?"
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!

TheKOT
Regular Poster

Post by TheKOT »

Legendary wrote: "Seriously, guys, why do we have to include the scene necessary for understanding the ending of the movie? Why not just cut that out and put in a bit more slapstick with that adorable monkey?"
"People don't want to understand the movie! They want animals! Just look at the monkey holding that tiny gun and tell me it isn't worth it!"

Waf
Regular Poster

Post by Waf »

That's actually much better than the decade booty call that they implied by leaving out that scene. Hopefully it makes it into the DVD.

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Post by TakatoGuil »

theKOT wrote:
Legendary wrote: "Seriously, guys, why do we have to include the scene necessary for understanding the ending of the movie? Why not just cut that out and put in a bit more slapstick with that adorable monkey?"
"People don't want to understand the movie! They want animals! Just look at the monkey holding that tiny gun and tell me it isn't worth it!"
Is it wrong that I WANT more adorable monkey than plot?

TheKOT
Regular Poster

Post by TheKOT »

TakatoGuil wrote:
theKOT wrote:
Yes. You are a bad person and should be ashamed. ;)

TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Post by TakatoGuil »

theKOT wrote:
TakatoGuil wrote:
theKOT wrote: "People don't want to understand the movie! They want animals! Just look at the monkey holding that tiny gun and tell me it isn't worth it!"
Yes. You are a bad person and should be ashamed. ;)
*bursts into tears* But- but- but- I LOVE monkeys!!!

In completely unrelated news, I have a broken ankle and won't get to see the adorable monkey's At World's End antics until it comes out on DVD. :cry:

Tiako
Regular Poster

Post by Tiako »

Well, this is a movie discussion thread, not a Pirates of the Caribbean thread, so I'll raise some choice movies.

Pan's Labyrinth. It's absolutely incredible, both fantastic and deeply disturbing. The Faun is particularly horrifying, and I liked the characterization of the Fascist father. He isn't cruel so much as he is cold. It has a brilliant ending.

Ocean's Thirteen. It's better than Twelve, but that is not a high bar to set. It's pretty fun, but the series is in desperate need of death.

Seven Samurai came in the mail. Easily one of the greatest movies of all time. Akira Kurosawa is a god amongst men.