Kris X wrote:NakedElf wrote:
[*] Slice-of-Life: Basically follows your own life. Generally no plot.
[*] American: I would assume as opposed to Japanese style--typical newspaper type of comic. PvP is a good example.
Incorrect. Slice of life does not need to be about YOU. It can be about anyone, real or fictious as long as it's remotely plausable to happen in real life.
American style is not just an opposite of "Japanese." There are other comics out there, such as European, that are NOT Japanese.
Sorry, I'm just trying to remove the stereotypes of what people consider these categories to be.
I said opposed, not opposite.
Most people posting comics on the web in English are familiar with American and Japanese style comics. European comics, if they've encountered them at all, are a small minority. So as far as most folks are concerned, there's the style they've seen published domestically in newspapers and comicbooks, and there's the style they've seen imported from Japan.
As for slice of life, definitely it doesn't have to be about one's self, but that is the way it is most typically done.
And since these are just general, vague categories, all they can ever possibly be on a practical level *is* stereotypes. Maybe in a hard-core group of comic-readers/writers would we find strict breakdowns, but when simply talking about categorizing your public for general public consumption, popular stereotypes are important. If I describe a comic about aliens on Mars as 'slice of life' because it's about their lives, I'm going to confuse people. Likewise, if I describe my comic as 'furry', I have to remember that some people consider the term to really just mean porn.