Legendary: The Videogame! (recruiting)

A place to discuss my comic, and for general talk.

Postby Waf on Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:51 pm

Seriously, go episodic content. Real games rarely have 3+ dev times. (I don't mean real in a condescending way).
Waf
Regular Poster

Postby Lamoni on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:54 pm

Yeah, there must be some way to be able to develop one episode at a time. Even if we wind up changing values on items and things like that, there oughta be ways to get around having to make people replay the entire game. Even if all "player wipe" style changes happen all at once every 5 chapters or something. We should have the game into the players hands to give us input and such as soon as possible.

Maybe I need to download RPG maker and see if I can get into the programming stuff. ;)

EDIT: Speaking of which, did you ever get that private forum/wiki setup?

--Lamoni
Lamoni
Regular Poster

Postby Squark on Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:08 am

lamoni wrote:Yeah, there must be some way to be able to develop one episode at a time. Even if we wind up changing values on items and things like that, there oughta be ways to get around having to make people replay the entire game. Even if all "player wipe" style changes happen all at once every 5 chapters or something. We should have the game into the players hands to give us input and such as soon as possible.

Maybe I need to download RPG maker and see if I can get into the programming stuff. ;)

EDIT: Speaking of which, did you ever get that private forum/wiki setup?

--Lamoni

I was told we are using the Church of the Triumvirate forum, but I could be wrong. Check the link in God of Chaos's Sig, we moved, and I havent updated the link
Known as either Squark (Giant in the Playground, Church of the Triumvirate) or sir_dwar on other forums. Or Sir Dwar of Ebberon on Bioware.
Squark

Postby TakatoGuil on Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:05 am

Yeah, I replaced that. The old stuff is all nice and safe though, so don't worry.
Known as "Legendary" in the OOTS Forums.

Now I will torment the other Legendary forever.
TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

codes

Postby Neodac on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:17 pm

ok new here and i skimmed you could do like many games and use codes generaly a hex number that tells the game which quests you have finished what items you got ect

if your gonna program by episode go ahead and make seperate short games with codes generated at the end maybe put a short in the last episode scene in.. and then when you have a major boss battle in comic you could go back and cut the games together to form one big game then start on the sequel in episode format

also have you given thought to making this availible for multiple platforms i'm not a programmer so i dont know what goes into that but i've been looking at Game boy advance homebrew kits lately and it SOUNDS i think one of them had a code editor to move a game like yours into a gba rom... anyone who wanted to play the game on GBA would have to buy a flash cartrige and the cables to write to it (fairly expensive) or find an emulator (free but why not play it on computer) but its still a thought and if you get it good enough you want to sell it.. well it would already be ready for GBA release

ok i've rambled enough cant wait to see this game
Neodac

Postby Legendary on Wed May 30, 2007 1:12 am

I have an idea for a side-quest that's kind of related to this comic.

Basically, if any of you have played Skies of Arcadia, it's sort of like the Landmarks system. When you have a town marked on your map, you can bring the map to the place and they'll give you a small amount of money for its location.

I was also thinking that you could have little RPG in-joke landmarks, like if you go to White Mage Academy later in the game, you could find, "Aerith's Chalk Outline." No monetary reward for those, but if you find them all, you unlock somebody's ultimate weapon or technique. Tell me what you think.
I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!
Legendary
Cartoon Henceman

Postby Waf on Wed May 30, 2007 8:18 am

I think you need the name entry thing at the beginning. But have it so the game makes you pick the right name.

What is this guy's name?
Peter
Wrong! Read Legendary Episode 1 for correct answer.
loinel
Wrong! Read Legendary Episode 1 for correct answer.
Lionel
Correct! Now who is this?
Waf
Regular Poster

Postby TakatoGuil on Wed May 30, 2007 11:01 am

Legendary wrote:I have an idea for a side-quest that's kind of related to this comic.

Basically, if any of you have played Skies of Arcadia, it's sort of like the Landmarks system. When you have a town marked on your map, you can bring the map to the place and they'll give you a small amount of money for its location.

I was also thinking that you could have little RPG in-joke landmarks, like if you go to White Mage Academy later in the game, you could find, "Aerith's Chalk Outline." No monetary reward for those, but if you find them all, you unlock somebody's ultimate weapon or technique. Tell me what you think.

I'll work on it, but currently I'm trying to finish the Temple of Gaveria map. And then I have to make half-assed jobs of the rest of the towns/dungeons because I'm the only real mapper and I'm falling behind!!!!

But someday I'll work on the map.

Also, in-jokes already exist, and we'll make more...
Known as "Legendary" in the OOTS Forums.

Now I will torment the other Legendary forever.
TakatoGuil
Regular Poster

Postby Eternal Kanus on Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:13 pm

I know I'm new here, but I have experience with the RPG Makers, and I think I know how the flower picking game could be done. All you need to do is have the map with the bushes, then when you hit enter in front of a bush you get sent to a minigame map, where Lionel will be rendered invisible (Event-->Page 1-->Set Hero Walk GFK-->Any blank spot) and place him in a corner somewhere, surrounded by four events (Same level as Hero, On Hero Touch). Have a picture of Lionel's Arm (Event-->Show Picture) up above, along with a static background of the flowers. Have the events around Lionel (Event-->Page 1-->Change Variable-->X coordinate + 1; Y coordinate + 1), then (Event-->Page 2-->Move Picture-->By Variable-->X: X coordinate;Y: Y coordinate). Have one last event under Lionel, and have it check the variable to see if they equal a flower, a thorn, or nothing. Oh, and make sure that the variables can't go too high and have Lionel's arm move too far. Got all that?

EDIT: I just feel I should add that I'm pretty good at screwing around with the RPG Maker engine, but pretty bad at everything else involved in the game design process. So if you ever need any help with that, I have too much time on my hands.
Eternal Kanus

Previous

Return to Legendary