"Carter, get it through your head..."

Discussion of the Lightbringer comic, the Lightbringer universe (includes Angel Armor books), comics in general (webcomics or printed), superheroes, philosophy, and general chat between members.
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

"Carter, get it through your head..."

Post by Sun tzu »

You know...I found the contrast between Carter and Hanna rather amusing.
And yeah, Lightbringer (and come to think of it, a lot of characters here and in the Linkara story) has a tendency to ramble on about his philosophical beliefs. That said, I'm not sure his motivation and Hanna's are really all that different...Rather, it's the amount of thought they put into it that varies.

Linkara
Cartoon Hero
Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Post by Linkara »

That's probably a good way to put it. Carter thinks considerably about why he does it (partly because he's trying to justify it to himself in rejection of his very pacifistic upbringing) whereas Hannah goes along with it just because she knows it helps people.

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~

VinnieD
Regular Poster

Post by VinnieD »

To put it more simply, you're saying that Carter is using logic for justification, and Hannah is using her feelings. In this case the two agree with each other....sure wish they did more often.

Alschroeder
Regular Poster

"I'm sorry..."

Post by Alschroeder »

Whooooooa. Carter KILLED some people? Or thinks he might have, at least?
You've got my interest.---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>

Linkara
Cartoon Hero
Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Re: "I'm sorry..."

Post by Linkara »

alschroeder wrote:Whooooooa. Carter KILLED some people? Or thinks he might have, at least?
You've got my interest.---Al
*Chuckles* Sorry to break your interest, but that's not actually what happened. ^_~ As shown earlier, Carter was injected with a drug (which he suspects was heroin) and is hallucinating, hence the Latin and the not making of the sense.

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~

Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Post by Sun tzu »

VinnieD wrote:To put it more simply, you're saying that Carter is using logic for justification, and Hannah is using her feelings. In this case the two agree with each other....sure wish they did more often.
Thing is, while Carter's logic is telling him he needs to go out there and fight crime, some of his feelings are telling him that he's betraying his parents and doing exactly the wrong thing by resorting to violence. So in his case, yeah, logic and feelings are in conflict.
In Hanna's case, her feelings are not meeting any contradiction from her logic, so she probably doesn't even feel the need to give this a lot of thought (I mean, how many of us get philosophical about something that we feel is obviously right? As a general rule, it's only when we're at least somewhat conflicted that we start analyzing the ethics of a situation. Carter's conflicted, so he needs to constantly justify his own actions, especially to himself).