Pre-FanExpo2007 Thread (August 24-26)

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

Pre-FanExpo2007 Thread (August 24-26)

Postby Pimpette on Fri May 18, 2007 9:12 pm

Yes, the Expo is still about three months away.
But table registration is due to open up soon and I'm going to leap on them this year.

So!
Fan Expo 2007!
Location: Metro Toronto Convention Centre (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
Date: August 24-26 2007

Last year, Dawg and I and a couple others decided that this year we would join forces and grab a few tables together. So I've decided to head up the organizing this time.

However, accommodations might pose a problem. For various reasons, Dawg has decided he will not be able to house people this time around (though he has mentioned throwing a party for everybody one night). The Hobbystar site has some hotels listed, and the cheapest one by FAR would be the Global Village Backpackers Hostel: Rates from $25/night CDN ($23 USD)
I will poke around the internet for more in case that one gets booked up, but the ones listed on the Hobbystar site have special discounts for those who mention the Fan Expo.

All right, down to tabletalk.

I'm not entirely sure on the costs yet (the prices get posted with the registration forms). Year before last, the tables were about $150 CDN, including tax. I'm expecting them to be close to the same amount this year.
Each table is six feet long. For our group, I'd say sit two to a table - it makes things easier to afford.
(If you want three to a table, be my guest - but I've done that and it is not as comfortable as you might hope.)
I'm not sure when table registration opens, but if it's the same time as last year, it should be in the next couple weeks. I'll announce it in this thread, and people will have a set number of days (I'm thinking four or five) to let me know that they would seriously like to be added to our group.
At the end of the days, I will know how much each person owes, and will ask for payments via Paypal so that I can send out the money with the registration form.

When the time comes, I only want people who are 100% sure that they can make it, and that they can afford to pay up front for the tables when I ask.
Anyone who wants to come up just to hang out is welcome, just remember that we can't really house anyone this year. We will definitely be glad to meet up and run amok though - the RichTree was awesome and we have to raid it again.

So yeah.
DECIDE!
Cause when registration opens up, I'll want answers and I'll want em fast. :D
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Postby CaptainClaude on Sun May 20, 2007 10:36 am

:cry:
CaptainClaude
Witty British President

Postby Dotty on Sun May 20, 2007 11:34 am

Not gonna claim a table....we all know what happened last time I tried that. I'll definitely stop by and visit Laurels table though, and bitch about the lack of Shenanigans!
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Keffria on Sun May 20, 2007 4:02 pm

You're going to have to count me out on the table thing, but I will definitely be taking some time off work to come to the Expo and to see the various Torontonian sights. (We should go to Wonderland or something; I haven't been there in AGES.) :3
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)

Postby Vorticus on Sun May 20, 2007 5:07 pm

No table for me but I'll still try to come and see you all and hang out with you all. What is this Wonderland Keff speaks of?
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend

Postby Keffria on Sun May 20, 2007 5:35 pm

Amusement park. Roller coasters. :D
Keffria

Postby Mon Ami on Sun May 20, 2007 7:22 pm

I may be able to make it down for a day or so, we'll have to see.

Edit: Just checking out the Global Village Backpackers deal for $25 a night, it means that one would have to share a room with 6-10 people. If anyone else is interested in going as a group and staying as a group..PM me, perhaps we will have enough CGers that want to come and stay in one room together.
Mon Ami
Cartoon Hero

Postby CaptainClaude on Mon May 21, 2007 2:11 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:
CaptainClaude
Witty British President

Postby Pimpette on Thu May 24, 2007 1:22 pm

Woot on Wonderland. Image Sounds good to me.
*packages part of the RichTree and tries mailing it to Claude*

Also...

Table registration is now open! Image
(Comic Expo Information PDF)
Yeesh, and prices have gone up this year. Tables in Artist Alley are now $185 each (er, Canadian) - so, about $93 to split a table with someone.

So!
Anyone interested in joining us in tablehood should post here by Tuesday morning-ish (GMT-5).
On Tuesday afternoon/evening I will post a list of all who want to join the table group, and will ask for payment (via Paypal). I'd like to have everyone paid up by Wednesday night so that I can mail out the form by Thursday (31st).

And again, anyone who just wants to tag along is welcome - we'll definitely find things to do after the con each day. Image
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Postby Pimpette on Tue May 29, 2007 7:22 am

All right, well it's Tuesday.

Though no one sharing tables contacted me through the forums, I'm posting this here anyway for continuity's sake.

Table People!
- K-Dawg
- CJ
- Legostar
- Me

I'm going to mail the form out tomorrow, and then it should only be a matter of weeks before we get some sort of confirmation about the table. Image

So!
For two tables of $185 each, that's about $93 per person (yes, technically $92.50, but they tacked tax onto the price last time, better safe than sorry. If not, I owe you fifty cents in person. Blah).
I threw together a quick Paypal page, so go to it and send your share as soon as you can.
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tynan on Tue May 29, 2007 12:45 pm

ryclaude wrote::cry: :cry: :cry:

NO!!!

NOOOOOO!

Where's my Claude going to be!?!?!?

You may only not attend if you promise to get drunk off your ass.
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR

Postby Dotty on Tue May 29, 2007 12:47 pm

I so look forward to this. :D I'm just pissed I had to get disabled, throwing my attendance in question!
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tynan on Tue May 29, 2007 12:49 pm

you still in cast buddy?

if not..THEN ATTEND OR I'LL PUT YOU IN ONE!
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR

Postby Pimpette on Tue May 29, 2007 1:06 pm

Tynan wrote:you still in cast buddy?

if not..THEN ATTEND OR I'LL PUT YOU IN ONE!

...and after you put him in one... drag him along anyway. Image
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Postby Grabmygoblin on Tue May 29, 2007 1:09 pm

*tentatively raises hand*

I should be ok to go. don't book a table for me (duh) and I'll room with you Mon Ami (assuming that we aren't all crashing at someone's place for the weekend again)
Grabmygoblin
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dotty on Tue May 29, 2007 5:47 pm

If everything goes good I'm slated to go back to work in August...so getting time off might be tricky. I'll try though, don't you worry. :3
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:09 am

obviously i'm gonna be there. cause i had pimpy reserve a table, i will be selling legostar stuff, not sure what yet, and pimpy and i will have Shenanigan stuff between us. I will, hopefully, be arranging the same thing i did last year again this year, only have a more significant interview with a prof at the University of Toronto for a possible job in a bit over a year when I graduate. thus i will be there slightly earlier and I have friends to stay with, so i shall not be a burden upon dawg.
-D. M. Jeftinija Ph.D.
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Kisai on Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:11 pm

I have plane tickets booked for this, now it's just a matter of making sure I can have the time off. It's just like last years problem, 'new job' means no PTO. Though last year I rigged my schedule so I only needed one day off. This year is going to be different because I work something called 4x10's on graveyard shifts, essentially meaning that if I can pull the strings I did like with last years job, I should again, only need one or two days off.

Tue, Aug 21
Flights: WESTJET, WS 0702
Tue, Aug 21

To: TORONTO ON, CANADA (YYZ) Arrives: 6:22am
Wed, Aug 22
Departure Terminal: MAIN TERMINAL Duration: 4 hour(s) and 27 minute(s)
Arrival Terminal: TERMINAL 3 Class: Economy

Wed, Aug 29
Flights: WESTJET, WS 0703

To: VANCOUVER BC, CANADA (YVR) Arrives: 10:51pm
Departure Terminal: TERMINAL 3 Duration: 5 hour(s) and 1 minute(s)
Arrival Terminal: MAIN TERMINAL Class: Economy

OH and please do not assume that just because I booked these days doesn't meant that I won't miss a flight or something bad happens. Last year I booked around the same time, but I missed the flight out there and the flight back was canceled, resulting in me staying in the airport for 3 more hours.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Kisai on Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:20 pm

oh and if we'll be doing this every year, I suggest we seriously look into booking a bank of rooms at a hotel, like with the cookout. Last year happened to 'just' work out, but I think we burned out K-dawg, with him doing all the shuttling and everyone staying at his place.

Also, I plan on replacing my video camera, due to it going defective after the last time in Toronto (apparently the heat made it malfunction.) I have yet to decide on a model, but will probably wait untill the week before going to purchase. There are SDHC, hard drive, dvd and tape models, standard and HDTV versions, so I'm like @_@ . I might bring my laptop, though if everyone else is bringing their laptops, it might not be necesary. It just depends if I get a harddrive/sdcard/memorystick model (which requires dumping the video to a hard drive to get more recording time) or a tape/dvd model. The dvd models you only get 20 minutes to a disc. If I can't find something, I'll bring my B camera (which is simply a smaller model of the one I was using, but uses all the same accessories) and take mostly pictures with the Canon S3. Apparently the Canon takes slightly better video than the video cameras, but I only get 5 minutes to a card.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby CaptainClaude on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:21 am

Tynan wrote:
ryclaude wrote::cry: :cry: :cry:

NO!!!

NOOOOOO!

Where's my Claude going to be!?!?!?

You may only not attend if you promise to get drunk off your ass.

I'm gonna be at home. I cant really afford to fly out to the con if i have to pay for lodgings and after the money i'm spending in the summer.

as for the drunk off my arse thing. I can swing that.
CaptainClaude
Witty British President

Next

Return to Community Get-Togethers