Cookout 2007 AD&D: The Plight of Piggswhittle Bottom

This forum is for people to organize and prepare for meetings and events for the ComicGenesis Community. Serious proposals only.

Cookout 2007 AD&D: The Plight of Piggswhittle Bottom

Postby Rkolter on Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 am

This is the thread for prep on the Saturday AD&D 2nd edition game I'm running.

Title: The Plight of Piggswhittle Bottom

Summary: AD&D 2nd Edition with 3rd-5th level half-pregenned characters. I'll do the basics; you folks flesh them out. Saves time. You'll have two fighters, a mage, a priest, and two thieves.

Run time: hard limit of 4 hours, probably early evening Saturday (4-8pm?)

Synopsis:

The town of Piggswhittle Bottom is facing a crisis. They are the kingdom’s leading supplier of spell components and potion ingredients, but a horrible drought and heat wave has damaged all but the hardiest of the man-eating fescues, and the crop of treants isn’t looking much better. The town’s fire salamander stud died, and the local creeks where untold numbers of frogs, fish, and lizardmen live has run dry. Even the Rocs on the ledges outside of town haven’t been bearing more than one egg, the Phoenix spontaneously combusted, and the heat has all but shut down the town’s gemstone mine.

The only hope of saving the spell component season is the underground. Piggswhittle Bottom grew up atop the ruins of a previous city that the history records have long since lost. A gate was put up after too many kids wandered in and got eaten. The emperor has decreed that the gate will be opened so that the depths can be harvested.

The mayor of Piggswhittle Bottom has ordered a scavenger hunt in an attempt to attract both vendors and adventurers. Different subterranean creatures parts are worth points – you’ll be paid both in gold (by the city) and points for all you scavenge – the team with the most points gets title and deed to the old Kumsbrook Castle and its grounds; with the proceeds of what the winning team sells, they could easily make this into a base for future adventures.

The scavenger hunt only lasts the day – the town doesn’t want to entirely deplete its underground minions; body parts are a growth industry after all and you never know when another emergency might happen. You have to be out by sundown, or be trapped in there, if not forever, then for a very long time!

People have come from all over the nearby territory for this scavenger hunt, including some cutthroat looking types. There are also vendors all over the place willing to buy up your components, if you’re willing to take the chance at the loss of points. Your group is a band of up and coming adventurers fresh out of coin, and looking for their next chance to showcase their abilities.

Barter, cheat, steal, and slaughter your way to the prize!
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Fri May 18, 2007 7:54 pm

hmm... I'm thinking a traveling Ranger might fit this well enough.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Rkolter on Sat May 19, 2007 7:23 am

Noted - Phactorri will play one of the fighters - a ranger.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
Rkolter

Postby Hogan on Sat May 19, 2007 8:12 am

This sounds swell Ryan! 8-)

Hmm... after more than a decade of mostly GMing I haven't really got any preferences, so I think I'll opt for anything except the fighter, whatever is left and/or needed :)

... unless one of the Thieves can become a Bard? :wink:
When webcomics clash: The Webcomic Crossover & Cameo Archive!
Here it comes... the CameoComic
Hogan
Regular Poster

Postby Rkolter on Sat May 19, 2007 8:28 am

And Hogan is one of the thieves - a bard.
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby RemusShepherd on Sat May 19, 2007 10:19 am

Saturday? I thought D&D was going to be on Friday. Will this interfere with the other cookout festivities?
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Sat May 19, 2007 10:46 am

RemusShepherd wrote:Saturday? I thought D&D was going to be on Friday. Will this interfere with the other cookout festivities?

Paranoia was on Friday but it got cancelled; D&D was on Saturday. It has never interfered before with the other cookout activities any more than any other cookout activity has. ;)
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Hogan on Sat May 19, 2007 3:10 pm

rkolter wrote:And Hogan is one of the thieves - a bard.

Hoody Hoo! Music and Mayhem is on! 8-)
When webcomics clash: The Webcomic Crossover & Cameo Archive!
Here it comes... the CameoComic
Hogan
Regular Poster

Postby RemusShepherd on Sat May 19, 2007 3:43 pm

rkolter wrote:
RemusShepherd wrote:Saturday? I thought D&D was going to be on Friday. Will this interfere with the other cookout festivities?

Paranoia was on Friday but it got cancelled; D&D was on Saturday. It has never interfered before with the other cookout activities any more than any other cookout activity has. ;)

Well, yeah, but if I have to choose between playing D&D or dancing, I'd rather dance. :( Now I have nothing to do on Friday...

Well, I said I'd be one of your players, and I'm bound to that. I'd prefer the priest or the fighter -- I'm fine with letting everyone else get their choices in first.
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Sat May 19, 2007 4:55 pm

RemusShepherd wrote:
rkolter wrote:

Well, yeah, but if I have to choose between playing D&D or dancing, I'd rather dance. :( Now I have nothing to do on Friday...

Well, I said I'd be one of your players, and I'm bound to that. I'd prefer the priest or the fighter -- I'm fine with letting everyone else get their choices in first.

Remus, you never had anything for Friday - this game was always on Saturday, check the roleplaying thread.

The roleplaying thread wrote:Also, Saturday: AD&D 2nd Edition. Max Players: 5+1 (one person is already reserved). It's a scavenger hunt, by order of the mayor, in the ruins outside of town.

If you don't want to play, I'm not going to force you - it's way better to have players who want to play, than ones who just feel obligated. Go, have fun doing other things at the cookout!

Let me know - I'll get someone to fill you if you want, or you can stay if you want. Either way is totally cool by me. :D
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby RemusShepherd on Sat May 19, 2007 5:50 pm

Well, I feel like a schmuck for misreading that thread, and I know the easiest way to lose friends is to promise them something and then not deliver. :/ But I wanted to get into a game to fill up empty time, not complicate time while everything else is going on...

If it's no trouble for you, I'd like to bow out of the D&D game, then. If you find yourself absolutely needing another victim (or playing on Friday) let me know, but otherwise I won't be joining in. That okay?
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rkolter on Sun May 20, 2007 9:47 am

Yup.

Two slots open people!
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Black Sparrow on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:48 am

Probably a little late... but is the other thief position open? Or, failing that, the mage?
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero

Postby Rkolter on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:51 am

Black Sparrow wrote:Probably a little late... but is the other thief position open? Or, failing that, the mage?

Either one. Given we may be a person down, you might prefer to play the mage, since two thieves and no mage makes a campaign without much magical firepower. but, your call. :)
Image Image ImageImage

Rkolter

Postby Black Sparrow on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:56 am

I prefer rogues, but in the interest of the campaign, I shall take the mage!
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImage
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero

Postby Jim North on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:18 am

Thief.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Black Sparrow on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:13 pm

By "rogues" I meant "roguish characters," encompassing thieves, bards, rogues (for 3.0) and all 3.5 prestige classes that involve lots of skills and tricks.

*patpats Jim on the head*
ImageImage
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero

Postby Tynan on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:16 pm

You'll all have to learn me on these things...that or I'm going to remain in the pool the entire time.
Tynan
A REAL ADVEEEENTURERRRRRRR

Postby Jim North on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:49 pm

Black Sparrow wrote:stuff

My post was to indicate that I'm going to be playing a Thief.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Black Sparrow on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:58 pm

Awww.... are you sure you don't want to play the mage instead? Image
ImageImage
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero

Next

Return to Community Get-Togethers