3-20-07

The_Fox
Regular Poster

3-20-07

Post by The_Fox »

Is this U0? Because if not, I'm getting totally lost here.

- Jarylan
"What the?! Where did you get THAT?!"
"Creative aquisition."

Cyril_Dran
Regular Poster

Post by Cyril_Dran »

It's either a mental house, or some kind of experimental research, most likely of the "Illegal genetic" variety. Or both.
All fear the RP character from the completely private RP ^_^.
Current psuedonym/RP character count: 25
-Adding a touch of sanity, or insanity, where needed to balance the flow. .... Nah, I just like playing devil's advocate ^_^

Patchwork cat
Regular Poster

Post by Patchwork cat »

For some reason it reminds me of an ancient Ed Barker (hip underground cartoonist in the UK- 60's-70's) 'Largactilites' cartoon.

The patient does a little song and dance then sits down and goes (as so many of his little largactilites did) 'meep'.
Doctor (developing Napoleon hat): a hopeless case, eh Nurse?
Nurse (ditto Crown): Yes Doctor.

wish I had a copy.

Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Post by Allan_ecker »

I lost my internets when I would have been uploading a caption for this sucker; basically it's an experiment in getting the U0 style working in direct-to-digital format. Took ~considerably~ less time than U0 used to, so there's hope for more Unit Zero stuff in the not terribly distant future!

Not that, y'know, anyone WANTS more of that...

:roll:

(Also still don't have internet; Verison takes a few days to switch services over and guess who waited 'till the last minute to start moving services...)
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado

The_Fox
Regular Poster

Post by The_Fox »

Aye, that's what I thought. The art was very similar to U0. (Good work by the way.) But...I didn't recognize any of the chracters, even if the setting seemed familiar.

- Jarylan "I like U0..."
"What the?! Where did you get THAT?!"
"Creative aquisition."

Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Post by Allan_ecker »

The_Fox wrote:Aye, that's what I thought. The art was very similar to U0. (Good work by the way.) But...I didn't recognize any of the chracters, even if the setting seemed familiar.

- Jarylan "I like U0..."
You and the "real Saundra" are about the only documented cases I have of people liking Unit Zero. Although the real Saundra did in fact dig it muchly. Seriously. She like, refused to critique it for fear of damaging the awesome.

Don't worry though. I'm gonna get more stuff both like it and actually IT done in the next few years. Keep watching the DeviantArt account for comics...

Oh and NO, I STILL HAVE NO INTERNET thank you so very much Comcast for sabotaging the phone lines for anything other than Phone over Cable Modem, grumble grumble grumble...
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

--Romano Machado

Cyril_Dran
Regular Poster

Post by Cyril_Dran »

Document another case, Allan. I thought U0 was fine, personally.
All fear the RP character from the completely private RP ^_^.
Current psuedonym/RP character count: 25
-Adding a touch of sanity, or insanity, where needed to balance the flow. .... Nah, I just like playing devil's advocate ^_^

RobertBlake
Regular Poster

Post by RobertBlake »

I haven't read the U0 comics yet, so I can't say if I like it or not. :P

Kesh
Regular Poster

Post by Kesh »

My only problem with UO was that the pacing was off. Never really got to the point where I knew who was who, and what they were doing. Aside from that, the concept was cool.

Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Post by Allan_ecker »

*punches ego*

Yes yes, it was a *mixed* success in the end. You basically got chapter 1 of a multi-chapter saga so there definitely wasn't time to figure out what was what. I like to think it was pretty clear that you had the main characters Griffin, Arnold, and Stodgky who were going to galavant through known space getting into various political conundrums, because really that's all there was time to communicate with any clarity. Sure you had the Admiral and his Civilian Leadership scheming in the background, and the unknown histories of the two warring factions, but I was definitely in the "going to get to that" stage there.

I'm more or less planning to devote the entirity of my 28th year to a single 60-page graphic novella in the same universe, starting on my birthday May 28th. THAT sucker has to stand on its own, and I think lots of people will dig it.

--Romano Machado

RobertBlake
Regular Poster

Post by RobertBlake »

allan_ecker wrote:I'm more or less planning to devote the entirity of my 28th year to a single 60-page graphic novella in the same universe, starting on my birthday May 28th. THAT sucker has to stand on its own, and I think lots of people will dig it.
I can supply the shovels, if need be.

Nitwit
Regular Poster

Post by Nitwit »

Kesh wrote:My only problem with UO was that the pacing was off. Never really got to the point where I knew who was who, and what they were doing. Aside from that, the concept was cool.
U0 always struck as a concept not well suited to the 1 page per update timing. It (for me anyway), read better when taken several pages at a time.
It's not that I'm apathetic, it's that I'm ..... um .... OK, it's that I'm apathetic.

Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Post by Allan_ecker »

Unit Zero was absolutely intended to be read all at once. I'm glad I at least got what could approximate a chapter out before switching back to Umlaut House; people reading the archives may enjoy it a bit more in that format.

Also Amanda's comments on it stand.

Nope. Still no internet at home.

--Romano Machado

Cinni
Regular Poster

Post by Cinni »

I liked Unit Zero.

Of course, I tended to back up and read several at a time.

But yeah, put me on that list. :)

Cini

Andrick
Cartoon Hero

Post by Andrick »

Interesting, I randomly decide to check back on UH2 and it's moving; more so since the most recent thread is talking about U0.
allan_ecker wrote:... "going to get to that" stage...
It's funny that when I read that I immediately thought of two series that did that - "the Irresponsible Captain Tylor" and "X." Still, both of those are very straightforward stories that have a lot of dialogue. You might want to give the early episodes of those shows a look just for a few comparisons to your story and see if any new ideas pop up.

There is another that tells much of its story and background through images, where dialogue is only used where necessary; that story is "Texhnolyze." I hesitated on the third because what compels the audience to follow that story is very, very visceral. At once Texhnolyze shows the familiar in suppressed punk-rage and instinctual struggle for survival contrasted against the alien horror of abject despair and the macabre pathology of mutilation. The story is vastly different from anything you've ever alluded to, Allen, but the presentation style is more in line with how you wanted to present U0. I've got a place in mind if you want to pick it up cheap but with quality assured.

I really wanted to see where you were going with U0. That said,I cannot honestly say whether I liked or disliked the comic.
"I don't know why, but watching 12-year old Japanese girls flinging their school uniforms at each other was wildly entertaining." - Azrael, Japanese Exchange Teacher.