real food

The lives of two self-proclaimed geek/gamer chicks as told by themselves. Sadly, we don't have to exaggerate much from reality.
Redtail
Regular Poster

real food

Post by Redtail »

i remember us talkiing about this in baltimore ^_^ it's a good thing you got cathe to make sure you eat some real food every once in awhile. and no, cream cheese on a tortilla is not real food. ew :ick:

Jaded Deceit
Regular Poster

Post by Jaded Deceit »

I have a story! This comic is super funny cause what happens when two people living alone can't properly eat and are left to scavenge? You get a can of corn and a pack of ramen, mix then to gether and add BBQ sauce. This is usually perferred over the Instant mashed potatoes mixed with a can of chili and some ranch dressing....
Yea, it is a funny thing, domesticated survival skills. I believe That I am passed that phase but I find myself wondering at times If I could just throw a piece of provolone and some mustard on a tortilla and get by...lol
Hajimemashite. How do you do?
Watashi wa Furankurin desu. My name is Franklin.
Watashi wa nekononiku ga daisuki desu. I love cat meat.
Nihon no onanohito mo daisuki desuyo. I also love Japanese women I say!
Doozo yoroshiku.It is nice to meet you.

Kubey
Regular Poster

Post by Kubey »

Umm... no. ^^

Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dennis Kininger »

Heeheehee!

Funny comic!

I've been doing the lonely bachelor thing for a number of years now but I actually LOVE cooking!

For those who've met me, you know I'm not emaciated from eating my own cooking. I actually like to eat.

You know what's VERY easy to use and cook in? Get a crockpot. They're not too expensive.

There are MANY cookbooks and recipes available. You buy your ingredients, toss them in the crockpot according to the directions, turn the thing on to cook all day and you've got instant dinner at night.

The important thing to remember here is : turn the crockpot ON!

Yeah, I 've forgotten a few times ~D'oh!~

I just made chicken and dumplings over the weekend and they came out great!

I also like cooking outside the crockpot. I can make lasagna, sausage roll, fried rice, stir fry, pasta, cookies, bars, pie...I've done lots of things. If you can read a recipe you can cook. I guess I also enjoy the act of creating when you cook...okay, having it be edible is a plus, too.

Yeah, I've also been known to "graze", too...I'll have cereal for dinner, pizza for breakfast, whatever catches my eye.

Most of the time, I manage to concoct an actual meal, though.

Dennis
"It's impossible to be neat and tidy amidst the natural majesty of mountains of books."

Michelle...Read or Dream

Joyling
Regular Poster

Post by Joyling »

I don't eat meals unless I eat out. I can cook if it says on the package "just add water" or "microwave on High for x" .... I can make cheesecake pretty well but you can't live on cheesecake.

Diatribe
Regular Poster

Post by Diatribe »

I don't live on campus but I still do a great job of following the college student diet: ramen, mac n cheese, and hotpockets.
-
Except breakfast. Breakfast is 3 scrambled eggs, 2 sausage links, and a bagel with cream cheese. Soooo good ^^
I'm a paranoid schizophrenic; my other selves are out to get me

EbyKat
Regular Poster

Post by EbyKat »

I'm starting to feel proud of myself for being able to cook now. *L*

I don't know exactly how I learned, was never really part of the process growing up. Probably a mixture of my housemate, Alton Brown (LOVE him), learning by osmosis, and listening to my friend Roman talk about cooking all the time. :)

I'm too lazy too cook usually is the problem, but I can whip up some good stuff with very little.

Special K
Regular Poster

Post by Special K »

Joyling wrote:you can't live on cheesecake.
I used to do that at Barnes & Noble. I would randomly declare it Cheesecake for Lunch Day and half the employees would order it from the cafe on their break. ^_^
FFXI - Keahi, Haeruthien, & Airaria - Lakshmi Server

Captain I-can't-use-this-word-per-copyright-laws Bag is defiant and follows the rules!

Jaded Deceit
Regular Poster

Post by Jaded Deceit »

Ya know this is a bit off topic but every time that you post Kristy, I imagine your puppet icon talking and it brings light to my dreary day of net surfing.
Cheesecake for lunch day ! I hope we have one of those at Pitt-con :shucks: there is no one who dilikes cheesecake after all....

Kubey
Regular Poster

Post by Kubey »

EbyKat wrote: Alton Brown (LOVE him)
We lurve Alton Brown in this house! Good Eats is programmed on our fake TiVo ^^ He's so entertaining. He's like the Bill Nye of cooking!

I watch cooking shows even though I don't really cook. I like Rachel Ray, even though she's so cute she makes me want to vomit sometimes. And then there's Iron Chef! And I like Jamie Oliver too.

Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

Kubey wrote:
EbyKat wrote: Alton Brown (LOVE him)
We lurve Alton Brown in this house! Good Eats is programmed on our fake TiVo ^^ He's so entertaining. He's like the Bill Nye of cooking!

I watch cooking shows even though I don't really cook. I like Rachel Ray, even though she's so cute she makes me want to vomit sometimes. And then there's Iron Chef! And I like Jamie Oliver too.

Ah, yes! The cooking shows!

Oddly enough, I was just talking about this topic a little while ago with Fred in one of my various emails with her. She said I made her hungry.

In my imaginary cooking show for myself, I was going to recite poetry and read snippets of literature while whipping up tasty dishes as Jazz music played (My youngest brother is a musician, so I'd hire him). Fred was gonna be the resident artist who gave art lessons as the food cooked and then got embarrassed by being in front of a large audience.

I wasn't sure what I'd call my show...I thought about calling it "The Naked Librarian" but I'd probably get sued. :shucks:

Anyway, there are various cooking shows I watch semi-regularly (as in when I remember when they're on or I'm channel surfing and I'm too damn lazy to change the channel).

If anyone here cares, Rachael Ray is actually an Upstate New York girl. She's from Saratoga Springs, which is about 2 hours or so away from me by car. I haven't been there in a few years but it doesn't take too long to drive there as I recall. I was there for a library conference, which I ditched and went to the local comic shop instead. Nice city, though...

I'd LOVE to have her one show where Food Network pays her to travel, eat and talk about it. I'm like, "Well, hell! I can do that!"

I also agree that she REALLY needs to tone down her perky schtick! I mean, Good Gods! No one can be that perky all the frikkin' time...can they? Her husband must be a really patient guy. I can only stand her for about 10 minutes and feel ill by 15 minutes.

Yup, Alton Brown's a cool dude. I like him, too.

I think Emeril is WAY overrated. Although the animated " Futurama" version is a riot. I was watching him once and he was making a tuna hotdish...yeah, egg noodles, tuna, cream of mushroom soup, cheese and crumbled potato chips on top...trust me, they aren't that hard to make! Yet, his audience was oohing and ahhing like he was generating cold fusion in his blender or some such thing! I'm like, gimmie a break! He made a tuna hotdish! The lunch ladies in grade school served that once a week. I'd LOVE to make a tenth of his regular yearly salary!

Paula Deen seems phony to me or what she makes just doesn't appeal to me too much.

IRON CHEF is a hoot! Leave it to the Japanese to make cooking dramatic and watchable...except, I change the channel when they start chopping up the squids and octopi. When it's not gross, I like the show.

Oh yeah! I used to like a show called TWO FAT LADIES. This was a cooking show with two middle-aged, fat, British ladies. One was tall and one was short. They wore leather jackets and helmets and rode around on a motorcycle with a sidecar. They smoked, cursed and ogled guys (They filmed a show at some English college once and they were making a dinner for the guys while checking them out on the athletic field)...yeah, these women were cool! Their recipes were decent but their show was just fun to watch.

One of the ladies died a few years back and the show obviously ended soon after.

Anyhoo...yeah, I likes the cooking shows (not all of them) but I do okay on my own.

My college diet was mainly ramen, poptarts and mountain dew...sometimes I still eat that. :shucks:

The Japanese gentleman who invented ramen died a few months back at age 96 and it was a sad day.

I'm not sure why I like cooking. My Mom could do it but she never liked it, she was a decent baker, though. Dad made pancakes and did fish fries. So, I didn't have too much parental inspiration. I guess, I just got interested in the creating part of cooking and things took off from there.

I also like Kristy's cheesecake for lunch idea! Stick in some chocolate or strawberries and I'm in!

Hmmm...I'm oddly hungry now for some reason (LOL!)

Dennis
"It's impossible to be neat and tidy amidst the natural majesty of mountains of books."

Michelle...Read or Dream

Mishka
Regular Poster

Post by Mishka »

I don't eat meals unless I eat out. I can cook if it says on the package "just add water" or "microwave on High for x
What Joy said! XD!

Also, holidays are good for homecooked meals.
"Good things come to those who set booby traps!" - Harold, TotW: RM

Dennis Kininger
Cartoon Hero

That's very true.

My Dad put on a pretty good ham dinner for Xmas.

Yeah, screw vegetarianism!

Gimmie meat, dammit! :shucks:

Actually, I know a few decent recipes for ham but don't make them too often as I live alone..

Dennis...still wants his own cooking show!

Michelle...Read or Dream

Kubey
Regular Poster

Post by Kubey »

OMG! About Rachel Ray's perkiness....

A couple months back there was a funny interview with her where the interviewer asked her if anyone could be so stupidly happy all the time, and didn't she fear some sort of epic repercussions - like every time she smiled a unicorn would be punched in the face.

She responded (as best I can remember), "I'd smile all day, every day, if I knew someone was punching unicorns in the face."

It cracked me up.

EbyKat
Regular Poster

Post by EbyKat »

I think I just fell in love.

E~Man
Regular Poster

Post by E~Man »

Kubey wrote:OMG! About Rachel Ray's perkiness....

She responded (as best I can remember), "I'd smile all day, every day, if I knew someone was punching unicorns in the face."

It cracked me up.
Hahahaha... :D
Do you ever worry that there can be only so much happiness in the universe, and that every time you smile, a unicorn gets punched in the face?
I would smile all day long, every day, if it guaranteed a unicorn getting punched in the face. I find them really annoying.
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1545622,00.html
...pulling back the foreskin of ignorance and applying the wire brush of knowledge.

Chakra: Any place where, if you hit it with a baseball bat, you'll die. Joe Bob Briggs

Joyling
Regular Poster

Post by Joyling »

E~Man wrote:
Do you ever worry that there can be only so much happiness in the universe, and that every time you smile, a unicorn gets punched in the face?
I would smile all day long, every day, if it guaranteed a unicorn getting punched in the face. I find them really annoying.
The true origin of the Blighter Unicorn comes to light finally! It was all Rachel Ray's doing! Having her hoodlums punch unicorns in the face!

Jaded Deceit
Regular Poster

Post by Jaded Deceit »

GJ will love to here this! Imagine a serene nook tucked away in a deep wooded area with a happy looking unicorn sipping out of the stream. Nice background music fades to horrific noise like Rage against the machine and Bam Meagera comes running out in his hoodlum outfit and punches the unicorn in the face. Then makes devil horns and headbangs in the now weeping unicorns face and takes off. Then the scene fades to black.

That is what I saw....lol

Special K
Regular Poster

Post by Special K »

PS

Paula Deen is a bitch!
FFXI - Keahi, Haeruthien, & Airaria - Lakshmi Server

Captain I-can't-use-this-word-per-copyright-laws Bag is defiant and follows the rules!

E~Man
Regular Poster

Post by E~Man »

Special K wrote:PS

Paula Deen is a bitch!
Who? Why? What'd she do? :-?
...pulling back the foreskin of ignorance and applying the wire brush of knowledge.

Chakra: Any place where, if you hit it with a baseball bat, you'll die. Joe Bob Briggs