The Daily Cougar Thread

Discussion of the comic "Somewhere I Belong" and anything else deemed awesome.

The Daily Cougar Thread

Postby Zhongda on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:46 pm

One of my mindsets when I started making this comic was that, "I'll generate local hype through internet buzz," and by this, I mean, "I'm going to develop a comic for my school paper, but I totally don't want it to suck, so I'm going to make sure it's good before I set us up the bomb har har har har!"

Here are my questions that I want to address with my comic:

· What's a good title?
I like using the Somewhere I Belong title, because it's a Linkin Park song I thoroughly enjoy.

However, I'm sure there will be a more awesome name that I would want to use should my comic successfully score an appearance on the Daily Cougar.

Here are the titles that currently run through my mind:

Chadwick Wellingsworth Saves The Universe
Know The Ledge
Archibald Baddington Conquers The World
Flirtations of the Three Kingdoms
Spraypaint & Inkpens
Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island
Real Talk
Somewhere I Belong
Oh You Mad Cause I'm Stylin' On You?
Love Jam

· Is it better than the competition?
Namely, Getting to Know the Tulip and Eryops. No disrespect to the artists, but I overhear so many people cringing at their comics for all the wrong reasons.

On the brightside, when people cringe at my comic, it will be intentional.

· What can appeal to the general audience?
Obviously, things like obscure hip-hop and video game references will fly over people's heads, and that's not ballin'.

What works, and what won't? This is extremely critical, especially for the Dead Poets Society tribute that I plan to put out. "O Captain, My Captain" is a setup for comedic gold!

· What can make the transfer from unrestrained internet freedom to politically correct public papers?
I'm talking about my favorite emo, Emo-Man.

I don't think I can get away with the tremendous amount of neck-hanging and blood-spewing he does if my comic hits a university paper.
Last edited by Zhongda on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zhongda
Regular Poster

emo-man

Postby Talvikki on Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:59 pm

Well the wrist-slashing was funny the first couple of times, but..seems it got old already. Or maybe it was just because I read all the comics in ten minutes, heh. It would probably be a total no-no in a school paper tho :(

I don't have any comment on the title either way, and not really on..whatever the second question was. Though I have no idea who that rapper in a pink coat is :p
Talvikki

Postby Zhongda on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:21 pm

Oh man you will totally not like the next five weeks, it's all nothing but hot and heavy wrist slashing. Maybe even some tentacles. I think I also threw in hand-woven silk drapes. :shucks:

Seriously, repetition is everyone's least favorite friend, so that insight is appreciated.

And yeah, if you don't know who the dude in the pink coat is, that is a good thing! TRUST ME ON THIS.
Zhongda
Regular Poster

Return to Somewhere I Belong