OT: Saddam's Dead!

LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

OT: Saddam's Dead!

Post by LoneWolf23k »

Well, it's done! Before the year has ended, we go off on a good note with the execution of Saddam Hussein!

Who's got the Champagne?

The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Post by The JAM »

I don't drink wine, but here's some apple cider [opens bottle]
The monster is finaly dead.

Xellas
Regular Poster

Post by Xellas »

*raises a toast of... fresh brewed tea*

Even though I disagree with the invasion, here's to the death of a monstrous madman. Cheers all, and may God have mercy on his soul, even though he doesn't deserve it.
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."
John 8:7

How great would the world be if we REALLY practiced that?

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Post by BrockthePaine »

*Pops the top of a Killians.* Cheers, boys and girls.

Sic semper tyrannis.

The tree of liberty is best watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee

Lee M
Regular Poster

Post by Lee M »

Even so, the majority of tyrants still die peacefully in their beds...
Ever notice that all the trouble in this world is caused by people trying to get rid of troublemakers?

Xellas
Regular Poster

Post by Xellas »

Well, this one didn't. He died confused and in the middle of reciting a holy prayer.
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Post by Earl McClaw »

Xellas wrote:Well, this one didn't. He died confused and in the middle of reciting a holy prayer.
He also died unrepentant and still thinking he was right.

He also died knowing his (equally vile) sons had preceeded him, his country had rejected him, and most of his efforts to amass wealth and power had been reversed.

It would have interesting to have put him to forced labor for the rest of his life, but this is satisfying (if less productive).
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)

Axelgear
Regular Poster

Post by Axelgear »

I see a few things wrong here.

1. Who brought the Camera Phone to the execution? Evil or not, dignity in death, people.

2. Saddam's death is being called an "Execution for Crimes against Humanity". Well, heh, no. They can't do that as the United States has never created a law against CoH's, nor has Iraq. Since this was meant to be an Iraqi trial, this makes the proceedings technically illegal. Had they handed him to the Hague, where he'd have been tried by the UN and not the US (Because, in all truth, we know it wasn't the Iraqi's doing it, they were being led along), therefore making it more legal. The trial would've had the same end result but the means would've been much better.

3. As much as I am glad he's dead, drawing out the trial may have been wiser. Saddam was a symbol for the Iraqi people to rally against. Now that he's dead, it could go either way. I'm sure you've heard that his Executioner was a subscriber to an anti-American leader. In fact, that mans name were Saddam's (Surprised) last words.

As much as the world is a better place for this mans death, I wouldn't be breaking out the Champagne just yet if I were you...

Ah **** it, someone pass me the cider.
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.

The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Post by The JAM »

[gives you some cider] I'm sure many more things will come to light, but at least there was SOME protocol to his execution, which was more than a lot of Iraqis (Shi'te or Sunni) got during his regime.

Troutnoodler

Post by Troutnoodler »

If the United States were to outlaw "Crimes Against Humanity", then things like scrapple, potted meat, head cheese and chicken "McNuggets" would become illegal.

I suppose I'd try to raise a cup of tea to his demise, but right now, I'm too busy prepping my BugOut Bag and making sure my survival suit is where I can get to it in a hurry.

Over here in "The Shit", the Pucker Factor has gone from a "5" to an "8", and the wires are hummin' with traffic. Seems executing Saddam has shoved a big stick in the hornets nest.

*snort*

Not that it takes a very big stick to get the hornets mad over here, anyway...
===O <==[IonOtter, LogOut]

Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Post by Kerry Skydancer »

I was gonna say. When the Arabs are happy, they celebrate by running around yelling and firing weapons into the air. When they're mad, they show their anger by running around yelling and firing weapons into the air. Hardly worth the bother to sort it out, nie?
Skydancer

Ignorance is not a point of view.

LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

Post by LoneWolf23k »

Kerry Skydancer wrote:I was gonna say. When the Arabs are happy, they celebrate by running around yelling and firing weapons into the air. When they're mad, they show their anger by running around yelling and firing weapons into the air. Hardly worth the bother to sort it out, nie?
And Moore says Americans are obsessed with their firearms...

Xellas
Regular Poster

Post by Xellas »

Normally Axel, I'd agree with you about the comment on 'dignity in death'. But this was a leader who some people had a nearly religious love for. By videotaping his moment of death, instead of leaving it unfilmed for the sake of his dignity, that guy managed to cut down the inevitable flood of "Saddam didn't really die, he got away and they put a fake body in the grave, he's still alive!". Sure, there's still gonna be some nutjobs that say that, but there's alwasys SOMEONE stupid enough to believe anything that can be said.

That said, what a way to end the bloodiest year in Iraq yet.

Axelgear
Regular Poster

Post by Axelgear »

True, it would put a lot of those Conspiracy Theorists to rest, but all the same...

And as to the Arabs and guns thing, I suggest a simple tactic to avoiding violence. Tie on some white flannel, call yourself Achmed, and fire a gun in the air; you'll blend right in

Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Post by Kerry Skydancer »

Xellas wrote:Normally Axel, I'd agree with you about the comment on 'dignity in death'. But this was a leader who some people had a nearly religious love for. By videotaping his moment of death, instead of leaving it unfilmed for the sake of his dignity, that guy managed to cut down the inevitable flood of "Saddam didn't really die, he got away and they put a fake body in the grave, he's still alive!". Sure, there's still gonna be some nutjobs that say that, but there's alwasys SOMEONE stupid enough to believe anything that can be said.

That said, what a way to end the bloodiest year in Iraq yet.
I agree that the filming was necessary to prevent claims that he might still be alive. But ... bloodiest year in Iraq? Say what? Nothing since 2003 has come -close- to what was routine before we kicked over Saddam's apple cart.
Skydancer

Ignorance is not a point of view.

RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Post by RHJunior »

Indeed.
As I recall the rough estimate is that Saddam and his sons killed an estimated quarter million of his own people.They're STILL uncovering mass graves....
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert

Xellas
Regular Poster

Post by Xellas »

I was referencing deaths in the 'war' going on. I guess I should have been more specific, considering the forum I'm posting in.

Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Post by Tom Mazanec »

Forum Mongoose

Axelgear
Regular Poster

Post by Axelgear »

Wow, someone agrees with me...

AnlaShokSe

Post by AnlaShokSe »

I was more worried about the content of the video than the actual video.

Sure, Saddan was guilty and deserved everything he got, but you got to figure that sooner or later SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, is going to put a captured leader on trial for war crimes that they're ACTUALLY INNOCENT OF.

After all, a fair number of Nuremberg defendendants were acquitted (3/24)
I'd feel a lot better if Saddam's trial were standing evidence of the fairness I'LL recieve in a trial after I try to take over the world.

between the trial shennanigans, the assination of lawyers, and the unproffessionialism of the execution room, I'm not holding out much hope. Frankly, I suspect Saddam Hussein would have had a half-decent chance at appealing his release to the Iraqi people in US court, on the grounds that an Iraqi trial would be nowhere near the baseline standards of justice required by US law, and that therefore he could not be extradited until the Iraqis demonstrated good-faith proof that they really could hold a fair trial.

especially since, as far as I know, the US senate has not ratified any extradition treaties with Iraq...

Man that would have been a fun lawsuit. it's a really pity that mass-murderers aren't better at legal infighting... you could have sold the appellate court hearings on pay-per-view.

And ill-fitting woven ski masks as executioner's masks? Everyone knows you're supposed to use custom-made, highly intimidating masks made from leather, or possibly silk! What sort of executioners ARE these people? no sense of proffessional pride whatsover.... grumble grumble....