Hard Onions

Postby Deckard Canine on Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:56 am

BoKiana wrote:Thou Shalt Not Kill

Pretty easy rule to follow, and there's little to no dispute on where that rule came from.

Aside from disagreements arising on what if any killing is not murder (ask fruitarians how easy it is to follow), I might point out that while the phrase is associated with the Bible and particularly the KJV, there is a bit more to the dispute on the rule's origin. Specifically, we have yet to reach consensus on whether it was divinely inspired.

That actually connects to the disagreement I'm seeing on inalienable rights. To many a theist, God assigns rights and governments can only confirm or infringe upon them. Deist Tom Paine believed that we started with rights to all things by virtue of existence but tended to dispense with some rights.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:49 pm

The word "murder" is the one used in the original Hebrew.
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby J4N1 on Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:59 pm

The JAM wrote:The word "murder" is the one used in the original Hebrew.

Wich does bring us to the question "what is murder?" and the answer has changed a lot from age to age and continent to continent (and even nation to nation and village to village i guess).
J4N1
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:55 pm

[...unWARP!!!]

Good evening.

Exodus 20:13

Strong's Concordance wrote:Murder
Strong's #07523
RaTSaKH
a primitive root; properly, to dash in pieces, i.e. kill (a human being), especially to murder:--put to death, kill, (man-)slay(-er), murder(-er).

I hope that helps a bit.

¡Zacatepóngolas!

Until next time, remember:

I

AM

THE

J.A.M. (a.k.a. Numbuh i: "Just because I'm imaginary doesn't mean I don't exist")

Good evening.

[WARP!!!]
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to Under the Lemon Tree