Severed Ties ------->The current arc

The happening place to be. Unless you go somewhere else that's more stimulating.
User avatar
Man in a suit
Regular Poster
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:08 pm
Location: Racoon City

Post by Man in a suit »

I find Bebop's dub to be quite unpalatable. Of course, I am a purist of the worst kind.
Dubs offend me beyond the level of poor execution, though. Before a show is dubbed over, it's script is basically rewritten by whomever is doing the dubbing. As difficult a job as I'm sure it is, the focus tends to be on fitting the dialogue into a pre-existing amount of time. While I doubt that anyone conciously makes an effort to change the meaning of what is said, oftentimes a change in meaning, context and/or subtext is the result.
In the end, it is of course a matter of personal preference. People who enjoy dubs may watch them at their leisure, just as long as I don't have to.
Is that destroyed enough for you? Or would you prefer some FLAMES?!
God, dubs suck. anyone who likes them is a big fat doody head!
How's that? Needs work, doesn't it?
"And now to unleash screaming temporal doom!"
-Zim

User avatar
Fallen_angel
Regular Poster
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:06 am
Location: state of denial!
Contact:

Post by Fallen_angel »

The Negima dub is outstanding.
panda panda panda panda panda panda PAN-DA...

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Contact:

Post by Gildedtongue »

Outlaw Star's dub isn't too too bad either.

Hmmmm, interesting brush stroke there, Ryan... trying to convey your blindness to the world's issues?

User avatar
Karl Falcon
Regular Poster
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:57 am
Location: The cold, white- er.. sunny, green Northeast PA

Post by Karl Falcon »

Perhaps he's finally decided what should go in his hand as well. I'm thinking a "weapon" ...of some kind.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

This scene wasn't in the draft, because I didn't realize I'd need a good transition to the next day. Oops. This painting wasn't going to come back up till later, but oh well. Here we are.
man in a suit wrote:Is that destroyed enough for you? Or would you prefer some FLAMES?!
God, dubs suck. anyone who likes them is a big fat doody head!
How's that? Needs work, doesn't it?
I'll give you flames:Image
Image

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Contact:

Post by Gildedtongue »

Ryan's face in the second to last panel is absolutely awesome.

User avatar
Fallen_angel
Regular Poster
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:06 am
Location: state of denial!
Contact:

Post by Fallen_angel »

Hell, that whole page is excellent.

Another dub that worked out great was the Hellsing dub, I just realised.
panda panda panda panda panda panda PAN-DA...

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

In a moment of true rarity, I like the faces on the page a lot. Especially panel 2 and 6. And 4.
Image

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Contact:

Post by Gildedtongue »

Maybe I just like panel 6 because I like looking at men with phallic objects in their mouths...

Well, yes, but really because Ryan looks unusually cat-like. Like he's just de-winged a fly and is slowly ready to deliver the coup d'grace.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Yeah, he does look prety catty. Which is good because I never really thought he looked cat-like enough. Devious is the word I kept thinking of.
Image

User avatar
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: State of Flux

Post by Paul Escobar »

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:Yeah, he does look prety catty. Which is good because I never really thought he looked cat-like enough.
Are the characters' personalities supposed to be reflected by what animal they draw their features from? Ryan seems to lack the mischievousness inherent in cats... (Or am I misreading things, and you're talking purely about a face-design thing?)

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Oh, I meant mostly that he looks more catlike than usual in those panels. As for personality, I go with the other cat sterotype, which is laziness and foul temperment.

If you're wondering why it took forever to answer, I'm in San Diego, CA with not internet connection. Except for right now.
Image

User avatar
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: State of Flux

Post by Paul Escobar »

Ah OK. Hehe, I think we've got all the cat stereotypes down now. There aren't that many. Dog stereotypes OTOH...

And I've been on Christmas holidays with no net connection myself for five days, so... no wonder. :wink:

How's San Diego? All I know about it is that it's got Comic-Con.

User avatar
Karl Falcon
Regular Poster
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:57 am
Location: The cold, white- er.. sunny, green Northeast PA

Post by Karl Falcon »

Augh. I was wrong again. Dang unpredictable cat-artists...

Christmas vacation: wreaking havoc on folks' 'net access since the 'net was invented.

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Contact:

Post by Gildedtongue »

Not a good image edit, but...

Image

"I'm Playin' mah Zelda, bitch!"

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

HA! That's fuckin' awesome.

No update tomorrow since I'm still on vacation, even though I'm actually back at home and have to go to work tomorrow. I'll post some crap though, since I'm toying with the idea of changing the drawing slightyly again.
Image

Gildedtongue
Regular Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ
Contact:

Post by Gildedtongue »

Awwr, everyone's gone leaving poor Maynard all awone.

And, yay for more sketchy updates! Yeah, I like these, not sure why.

User avatar
Paul Escobar
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: State of Flux

Post by Paul Escobar »

I like to see the sketch versions, too. It's like you get a glimpse of the artist's working process.

But the inked version is delicious - nice brushwork. Maynard looks quite annoyed. (Then again, he often does.)

Oh, the notion of an "Alien" remake with a shipwreck and a Victorian mansion is so marketable that you ought to sell the idea and strike it rich!

User avatar
Bloodied Fox
Regular Poster
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 am
Location: Jolly Old England

Post by Bloodied Fox »

If such a film happens, I'm afraid I will be forced to take measures, Mr Letdown :evil:
Image
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

I dunno, it sounds pretty funny. It'd be much better than Alien 3.

The first two were fantastic. 3 sucked. Resurrection was entertaining, but didn't need to be made. It's funny how it was directed by the same guy that did "Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain."
Image

Post Reply