You are NOT, in ANY WAY, my sister

Postby Jaydub on Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:59 pm

rangers wrote:"Merry met"? What, does she simply assume that everyone she meets is drunk?

As for Penny, it's time she was set down in front of her favorite ice cream snack and made to think about what she did.

Well I googled Merry Met and it does bring up a number of Wicca and Pagen blogs so it must be a common greeting for them.....
:o
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:12 pm

rangers wrote:"Merry met"? What, does she simply assume that everyone she meets is drunk?

As for Penny, it's time she was set down in front of her favorite ice cream snack and made to think about what she did.

Well, "Merry met" is used as a common greeting by Wiccans; for them, it has nothing to do with drinking.

And Penny really did make a mess of things, actually; remember, as Ben pointed out: Regardless of his feelings about Beltane, she is a customer. It's not in his interest to antagonize her.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Earl McClaw on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:40 pm

Tuyu wrote:...could someone please explain the whole "winning a toaster off my behind" bit to me? I'm feeling dense today.

I'd say it was a reference to the prize offerings at some of the bingo or other contests some Catholic churches operate to raise funds. That would make "Sister" a title - of a nun.

Yes, Penny was rude to a customer. Ben's response to hearing it's her suggests this isn't the first time she's been complained about. But Penny's right - her dealings with customers is little more than making change. Almost anything else and she'd have to refer them to someone else.

Of course, Beltane isn't so blameless herself. The social gaffe of assuming a neo-Goth is Wiccan is bad enough, but the first panel shows Penny operating a vaccuum cleaner. That means Penny was busy with non-customer duties, and interrupting her - particularly with such an overly-familiar greeting like that - shows Beltane has little respect for the GH staff. A simple "excuse me" would have been much more appropriate.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Nikas_Zekeval on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:03 pm

Penny was right to call Beltine on her overly familiar greeting, though she could be repremanded for not showing more tact in doing so. However given the two personalities involved we I suspect this was only the detonation of the explosive around the plutonium sphere. Stay tuned for bigger bangs.
"Come on Sam, it can't be as hard as blowing up a star."
"I tell you, blow up one star and suddenly everyone thinks you can walk on water."
*Beepboop* [connection established]
"Okay. Up next, parting the Red Sea."
Gen. Jacob Carter and Lt. Col. Samatha Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Reckoning"
Nikas_Zekeval
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Under the Lemon Tree