Pets. Who has them?

Pets. Who has them?

Postby Axelgear on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:57 am

Hey everyone who comes here, I made this topic to try and cheer people up. So I now present what I hope will be the first of many images that make people smile: My Sugar Glider, Dweebit.

Dweebit is about a foot long, half of which is her big, fluffy tail. To describe her would be a cross between a bat and a chipmunk, with claws as sharp as a cats. In the wild, she'd be a tree climber, and so she has big, sharp claws that can easily tear skin. I often am just looking at my arm and see a long, thin cut somewhere on my hand or arm and go "How did that happen?" and then remember the little menace at home. Dweebit is a female, as notable by the fur on her forehead (Males have a baldspot), but other than the fact that she doesn't stink as much, there really isn't that much of a difference.

Her diet consists of a special mix I make myself called BML, as well as fruit, vegetables, and the occaisional mealworms. She goes at them with both hands, so if you have an open jar, she will climb up onto your hand, pick up one in each hand, and start eating and purring.

Oh yes, she has hands.
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby Rangers on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:19 am

Cute! Legal?

We've got three pets. One male cat - Prissy (long story), and two dogs. Coach/Jack was foisted upon us by our daughter during one of her more-money-than-brains moments, and MY dog, Marquis de Lafayette, you can see here.

Markie's our "Kelso dog". Easy on the eyes, not much happening upstairs.
Last edited by Rangers on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join the adventure at http://rangers.keenspace.com
Licensed Online Comic Macquettes - get 'em at http://www.ntoonz.com
Rangers
Regular Poster

Postby Axelgear on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:23 am

Yes, Sugar Gliders are legal in Canada. She just needs to be kept warm and she's happy (Just slightly above room temperature. I think Room Temp is 72 F, and she prefers it about 10 degrees higher)
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby Rangers on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:28 am

My memory jumped back for a moment to when I lived in California, where ferrets are illegal - but all the pet shops carry supplies for them.
Join the adventure at http://rangers.keenspace.com
Licensed Online Comic Macquettes - get 'em at http://www.ntoonz.com
Rangers
Regular Poster

Postby Tom Mazanec on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:37 am

I would have a few ferrets if my apartment allowed them. They just allow cats, but I am not a cat person. Had a couple dogs as a child.
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Re: Pets. Who has them?

Postby MikeVanPelt on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:35 am

Axelgear wrote:My Sugar Glider, Dweebit.

Every now and then when I was growing up, we had flying squirrels. They look pretty much like Dweebit, a bit less prominent markings. I don't think they used their front paws as hands so much, and their claws weren't that damaging to skin.

If they're caught very young, they make good pets. That's probably illegal now, but it wasn't back then.
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:08 am

I first learned about sugar gliders a couple years ago from one's fleeting appearance in "Kevin & Kell" as a foreign exchange student. Since then, I've learned that they are both very cute and quite a handful as pets. Not sure if they're more so than ferrets, tho.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:43 am

never thought of having a sugar glider, mostly just cats and dogs and sheep and cows and horses and once a few fish
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Axelgear on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Deckard Canine wrote:Since then, I've learned that they are both very cute and quite a handful as pets. Not sure if they're more so than ferrets, tho.

They're both handfuls in their own way I imagine. Ferrets are more common, so the problems you face with Gliders are more about lack of people specializing in them (Be it providing food, medicine, or toys for them to play with), while with Ferrets, their energy is the problem. However, Sugar Gliders do have one big problem: They're marsupials, and as such they love to scent-mark things. I've developed an immunity to the smell Dweebit produces (I don't notice it anymore, in other words, not that I ever did from the start), but other people claim they can smell her instantly.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:09 pm

One dog, me. Left to me by my dear, departed mother, Cuddle-Up is a typical terrier mix; just smart enough to get into trouble, just stupid enough not to care, just hyper enough to do it in a hurry.

Pardon the lousy lighting; Wal-Mart is no respecter of times. With luck, though, I'm soon to get a better-paying job. Wish me luck at tomorrow's interview!

Yours truly,

The hopeful,

Wanderer
Attachments
DSC00923_edited-1.jpg
Sweet dog. Actually stood still for ten seconds so I could take the picture.
DSC00923_edited-1.jpg (118.61 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Axelgear on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:29 pm

Heh heh, that's a Terrier through and through. We had two Airedales, but we lost one last year. Her name was Molly and she was such a sweet dog, and as dumb as a sack of hammers. You know the type; smack 'em in the face and they'll be happy for the opportunity to look to the side. Of course, no one could ever harm her, she was too kind...

And our sad remainder of a dog is Gilmour, though I say that with all due love. Gilmour is an elderly, crotchity, and mentally unstable dog really, in that one minute he's loving being stroked, then he growls at you for no reason, then gets up and walks away. Then, he comes back, and expects to be stroked again. He's half-blind and half-deaf now, but he's still full of life. We'll get a few more years from him, I'm sure.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Re: Pets. Who has them?

Postby Wayfarer on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:34 pm

Axelgear wrote:My Sugar Glider, Dweebit.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's all I have to say. :D :D :D
“The mirror may tell us what we are; memory may tell us what we were; but only the imagination can tell us what we might be.” – Donald Keesey

“You go whistling in the dark/ Making light of it/ Making light of it/ And I follow with my heart/ Laughing all the way// Oh 'cause you move me/ You get me dancing and you make me sing/ You move me/ Now I'm taking delight/ In every little thing/ How you move me”
~ "You Move Me"
Pierce Pettis, Gordon Kennedy
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby Canis_lupus on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:32 pm

My guild leader in WoW has 2 sugar gliders, apparently they get pretty crazy at night. I myself have 3 cats and a dog.
Image Hes pretty crazy, has some severe seperation anxiety, he once tore through a kennel just to get out and then when we resecured it he picked the cage up with his teeth and moved a corner of it to a rolled up carpet in out basement and then crawled underneath.

2 of my 3. they are siblings.
"I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy. All day. Like, if you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget trying to bring you down."

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Location: Off some Turnpike in Jersey. check next to the landfill.

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:28 pm

One cat, currently. Cleo really does think she's the Queen of the Nile.
Skydancer

Ignorance is not a point of view.
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby Canis_lupus on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:42 pm

what cats don't? although my orange cat acts like a dog, i guess its because he grew up with one and learned from him.
"I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy. All day. Like, if you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget trying to bring you down."

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Postby Dapple on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:17 pm

This is my cat, "The fluff cat".
She's shy skidish and lazy as hell, I think she may have narcolepsy or something. She sleeps, alot even for cat.
She's got a cat door and goes outside every now and then.
She always wakes me up at night by jumping up on me while in bed, and purring on top of me. I tough being woken up at 3:00 AM when you have to be at work at 6:00 AM.

Last edited by Dapple on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trogdor Bruninating the Country side....
http://www.homestarrunner.com/trogday.html

And now for something completely different
http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy ... view.shtml
hehe
Dapple
Regular Poster

Postby Canis_lupus on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:24 pm

I dont see anything.

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:35 pm

Dapple: Looks like you've got the reincarnation of my family's first real cat, Sunshine. Same markings and everything. Even the same way she wakes you up. (Although, as I was in grade school, she woke me up for school instead of at 3 AM.)

Take good care of her, okay? She deserved a lot better than she got from us, there at the end. And if she ever gets bitten by a stray, and somebody tells you you don't need to bother with the vet?

Ignore them or clobber them. Then take the cat to the vet. Once was more than enough.

Yours with a heartsick smile,

The pained,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Dapple on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:53 pm

Yes, if and for any reason I always make sure my cats are healthy. Over the past five years, I have lost alot of cats, three of them. Two to cars, and one just disapered one night, I think a fox got her, she was such a tallented hunter, coming home with what I will describe as lots of bits of rabbit carnige all over the house, and she sits, on my bed cleaning her blood soked maw.
Trogdor Bruninating the Country side....
http://www.homestarrunner.com/trogday.html

And now for something completely different
http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy ... view.shtml
hehe
Dapple
Regular Poster

Postby MikeVanPelt on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:40 pm

We have two dogs, Buster and Sneekers.

Here's a picture of Buster:

MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Next