.......Persecution?

.......Persecution?

Postby GreyBlade on Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:39 am

yeah, it's been a while. But I can't help myself here.

Just popping in to say, Mr. R.H., that your religeon is -not- being persecuted.

*gasp!*

What? it's not!? All this bad stuff happening and it's not?

No, it's not.

People are stupid. People are going to find reasons to hate other people for things they consider foreign, or different. No matter the religeon, no matter the race, no matter the sexuality, _somebody_ is going to find a reason to dislike you for it.

For christians, or anyone else, to think this is a focused and concentrated thing, makes me laugh a little bit.

don't get me wrong, I think you're right in that people can come down hard on religeon.

Maybe it's because of how hard religeon has come down on other people lately. But the people that do that, I can't honestly consider "religeous", they do so little to follow what they're being taught.

And the decent people suffer because the stupid people refuse to do so much discuss intellectually with people they see as being outside their moral sphere.

To the point...perhaps the whole issue would be addressed better by recognizing and attacking the fact that, when people in general get to feeling like they're _right_, completely and irrevocably, they turn into downright little monsters.

Then you have Jesus in a piss bottle on display in the art gallery.
Homophobia: The irrational fear that gays will invade and re-arrange your furniture against your will.
GreyBlade

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:07 pm

First of all, I don't think Ralph said Christianity is persecuted. It just has to deal with a great deal of hostility from people who have a lot of influence in the government and the media.

Second, why is it that every time a Christian claims discrimination based on his religion he's ignored... yet if anyone else does it, basing it on race, age, or a religion other than Christianity, the media flock to them like a wounded puppy?

You seem to be dismissing Ralph's concerns, laughing them off even. And also manage to fit in a little slight against his faith, implying that the Christians deserve it! Your tone sounds a bit like someone talking down to a child as well. I don't particularly like people who do that. Arrogance raises my hackles.

You want to "discuss" this? Fine. Point out how he's wrong about the examples he gave. Y'know, like any smart person would do, instead of dismissing his claims outright without giving them so much as a notice.

Here, I'll give you a Bible and a Koran. Go to the local public school and start reading from one or the other during lunch time. See which one gets you kicked out. We'll all be waiting right here...
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby GreyBlade on Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:26 pm

Oh, he's not -wrong- in the examples he gave.

The legit examples he gave were perfectly good examples of morons getting over-touchy and deciding to come down on a perfectly good religeous practice.

The problem is, if you put every religeon, every race, and every social and political cause in a box, shake it up and choose one from random, there's going to be someone in the world treating it the exact way he's concerned about.

I'm not saying it's not a concern, because it is. A big one. What I'm saying is that it won't do to hash one's commentary down to the persecution of a single religeon. It'd be a better idea to deal with the problem on a broader scope.

As for your other concerns:
It's called Satire.
I am laughing.
Laugh at life or develop an anurism. Them's your choices. ^^
Homophobia: The irrational fear that gays will invade and re-arrange your furniture against your will.
GreyBlade

Postby Frigidmagi on Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:50 pm

This couldn't go into the other thread because?
Frigidmagi
Regular Poster

Postby GreyBlade on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:00 pm

Because I hit the wrong button. ;.;
I got back from church and found I posted to the wrong place, but by then, someone had posted, and it'd have orphaned posts.

Get someone to kill the thread and I'll be happy to repost it in the thread it was supposed to get into.
GreyBlade

Postby RHJunior on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:55 pm

I refer you to frame 3.

Thank you for proving my point.
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Postby GreyBlade on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:07 pm

I'm afraid you're going to have to explain how that proves your point.
GreyBlade

Postby Wanderwolf on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:58 pm

GreyBlade wrote:I'm afraid you're going to have to explain how that proves your point.

Agreed (before he locks this thread, too). Frame three is "Allow me a moment to bask in the irony of any member of the "Victim Generation" criticizing someone for complaining about being treated poorly."

That's aside form the obvious nature of the statement as a blanket generalization made in hopes of silencing anyone who dares criticize a certain ursine cartoonist's personal rants... :roll:

Yours truly,

The bemused,

Wanderer

P.S.: Pardon the question that shall never be answered, Ralph, but why borrow the term "victim generation" (used literally to describe that effect known Biblically as "the sins of the fathers shall be visited upon the sons") from the book, "Nature's End"? It sounds nice and quotable, but it's a poor sort of literary thievery.
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Rangers on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:53 am

I think it's multi-purposeful. Among other things, "Victim Generation" can refer to generating victims out of whole cloth for purposes of convenience.
Join the adventure at http://rangers.keenspace.com
Licensed Online Comic Macquettes - get 'em at http://www.ntoonz.com
Rangers
Regular Poster

Postby GreyBlade on Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:48 pm

OH _I_ get it now. You meant panel three of the comic in question, not the thread.

So what I am to understand is that you feel I'm prodding you for having complaints about how your religeon is treated.

Now, if you want _irony_ I could point out how members of a religon that's had a habitual problem with co-existing with things outside their personal scope, are suddenly quite surprised that people have taken personal offenses.

But I won't... ... ...oh, spit. I just did. Hm. ^^;

Okay! Stop, I'm making me vindictive. I guess what I'm doing is fielding and dealing with a particular viewpoit before it's used against me. Because one way or another, I'm sure it will be. I should make a point of saying I don't think that any religeon itself is responsible for the enmity and feelings it harbors towards people outside its scope. I think the people that practice it should be held responsible for how they deal with these kinds of people, and dealt with accordingly.

Now then, back to _my_ point, I'm not saying a word against you for having complaints about abrasion in your religeon's general direction. I'm saying we all deal with it. I don't think we should have to.

what I am saying is that your focus and statement is very narrow. too narrow, in my opinion, to be effective, to even scrape the fact that _Everyone_ seems to have a problem dealing with others that are "outside their scope".

It's like you've just been shot in the arm, and you're trying to get the bloodstains out of your shirt. Don't you think there are bigger issues at hand?

[edit: Sorry for taking to long to get back on this. My school is going into finals and it's been just a leeeettle crazy! =o ]
GreyBlade

Postby RHJunior on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:54 pm

So basically you admit that every single incident listed in the comic is real, has happened, and is ongoing.

But in spite of the fact that, were these things to happen to <I>any other group,</i> they would be called persecution....

It doesn't count if you do it to Christians.
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Return to NPC