Aw...

Paraphrasing Peter Boyle in "Everybody Loves Raymond"

Holy crap! :o

Can't blame Ben about this.

Got tear gas? Or that skunk kid?
Wallaroo_Blacke
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:38 pm

Familiar problem, here. If you can believe it, MFM had a protest this year. Some screwy animal rights group started picketing, apparently in the wrongheaded belief that furries wear fur.

I wasn't in charge, I didn't handle it. The plice were called, the crowd was dispersed.

It was a hard year at MFM. We actually had some local pick a fight with a member of the convention. Poor guy didn't know he picked a fight with a Marine...

Yours truly,

The almost-sorry-for-that-idiot,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:34 pm

see, if it were me, I'd have a controlled long range lawn watering system in place. just flip the switch and even the cars accross the sidewalk are getting washed. no need for firehoses and all that hassle.
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:10 pm

shyal_malkes wrote:see, if it were me, I'd have a controlled long range lawn watering system in place. just flip the switch and even the cars accross the sidewalk are getting washed. no need for firehoses and all that hassle.

And what about adding an electric fence charger? :twisted:
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sciguy on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:36 pm

Ah, I always wondered if Ben woulkd ever have to deal with protesters again.
"I'm all for art even if it offends me, so long as it doesn't miss represent me." -Rob D.L.
Sciguy
Regular Poster

Postby Wallaroo_Blacke on Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:31 am

Wanderwolf wrote:Familiar problem, here. If you can believe it, MFM had a protest this year. Some screwy animal rights group started picketing, apparently in the wrongheaded belief that furries wear fur.

I wasn't in charge, I didn't handle it. The police were called, the crowd was dispersed.

I just KNOW someone was playing seriously terrible prank
just to bring hatred to furs in another form. :x :shifty:

Wanderwolf wrote:It was a hard year at MFM. We actually had some local pick a fight with a member of the convention. Poor guy didn't know he picked a fight with a Marine...

Picked a fight... with a MARINE?! :o

Oh, snap! That loser really gotten the worst end of it.
If that punk threw the FIRST punch, Oooo!!! D:
That fool may as well be thrown in jail and sued.
Wallaroo_Blacke
Regular Poster

Postby Jaydub on Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:00 am

I think it is time to call out the goblin posse to handle this problem..... :twisted:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Postby Chaser617 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:58 am

And ladies and gentleman, if they're on Ben's land, thats *HIS* land, which means, public protests, nononono.

Ben has every right to chase them off his land.

I want Ben to chase them off his land.

Let the carnage insue.
Chaser617
Regular Poster

Postby Nikas_Zekeval on Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:15 pm

Wanderwolf wrote:It was a hard year at MFM. We actually had some local pick a fight with a member of the convention. Poor guy didn't know he picked a fight with a Marine...

Yours truly,

The almost-sorry-for-that-idiot,

Wanderer

I don't feel almost feel sorry for that idiot at all. Consider it as some necessary clorine in the gene pool, or as a Niven book put it 'Think of it as evolution in action.'
"Come on Sam, it can't be as hard as blowing up a star."
"I tell you, blow up one star and suddenly everyone thinks you can walk on water."
*Beepboop* [connection established]
"Okay. Up next, parting the Red Sea."
Gen. Jacob Carter and Lt. Col. Samatha Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Reckoning"
Nikas_Zekeval
Regular Poster

Postby Swinter on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:46 pm

I'm afraid that I don't exactly understand this comic.
What, exactly, are they demonstrating about? I haven't really spotted anything worth having a demonstration for either, especially not a simple halloween party at a game hall :3.
Swinter

Postby Earl McClaw on Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:45 pm

Swinter wrote:I'm afraid that I don't exactly understand this comic.
What, exactly, are they demonstrating about? I haven't really spotted anything worth having a demonstration for either, especially not a simple halloween party at a game hall :3.

For some sad types of people, it's enough to have someone not acting according to their wishes.

In this particular case, I'm guessing that it's a protest instigated because of the word "goblin" and the use of related "spooky" materials, especially because of the advertised Halloween party.

And from the images in the strip, it's hard to say if the protesters are on Ben's property or on the sidewalk ("right of way"), street, or other side. The most likely oversight the protesters have made is failing to get a permit for their gathering.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby MikeVanPelt on Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:56 pm

Jaydub wrote:I think it is time to call out the goblin posse to handle this problem..... :twisted:

Maybe... Hard to say...

1) I don't think we have much of a handle on the goblins' capabilities yet, vs. the capabilities of the manifestations of Ben's subconscious in the prior version of the comic.

2) Assuming they can do a lot of paranormal-looking things... and assuming what I'm assuming about the mob, it's the "looking for Satan under every rock" type of our a-bit-too-tightly-wrapped brethren...

That might be a bad move. Might attract lots of attention that Ben, as a Christian, is going to find particularly painful.

Now, in this strip's past, did the meeting with Ben's pastor happen pretty much as it did in the previous strip? And there's another pastor who was on friendly terms with Ben and his establishment. They might be a help here.
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Postby UncleMonty on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:31 pm

All the protesters can legally do is walk up and down the sidewalk (they cannot block the sidewalk) chanting and carrying signs. They can't hinder people entering or leaving the place at all, or they enter the jurisdiction of the local police.

Personally, I think they should be ignored. But unfortunately, the press won't do that. Protesters and the media feed off of each other in a sort of unwholesome symbiosis.
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wallaroo_Blacke on Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:48 am

That's true... if you're either blocking the
sidewalk within a person's property, thier
driveway, or within 100 feet of said property,
you are in criminal tresspass while performing
a peaceful protest.

But it is a load of horsefeathers if you call that
a peaceful protest. :-?
Wallaroo_Blacke
Regular Poster

Postby Earl McClaw on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:04 pm

What's needed here are some of the pranks Nip and Tuck have pulled on protestors, such as during their Pioneer Days festival.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Sciguy on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:05 am

Chaser617 wrote:And ladies and gentleman, if they're on Ben's land, thats *HIS* land, which means, public protests, nononono.

Ben has every right to chase them off his land.

I want Ben to chase them off his land.

Let the carnage insue.

Sadly since Goblin Hollow is open to the public as a recreational service, it can be construed as open to the public.
"I'm all for art even if it offends me, so long as it doesn't miss represent me." -Rob D.L.
Sciguy
Regular Poster

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:55 am

Open to the public, yes. But the proprietor has the right to eject for cause anyone who is disrupting the normal operation of the business. One does not have to allow anti-gun protesters in a gun shop or PETA demonstrators in a barbecue restaurant... or anti-Halloween loons in an establishment doing a business-related Halloween event.

Let the fun begin!
Skydancer

Ignorance is not a point of view.
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby Earl McClaw on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:24 pm

Kerry Skydancer wrote:Open to the public, yes. But the proprietor has the right to eject for cause anyone who is disrupting the normal operation of the business.

On the nose, Kerry. There's a big difference between "public space" and "open to the public".

The bottom line is the arcade is private property. The owner has the right to refuse service / access to people that make it more difficult for the business to operate. Otherwise you could fill a place with people who just stand around and leave no room for paying customers.
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:59 pm

rioters don't really need too much of a reason, some just like to riot and will take whatever excuse is handy at the time.

consider the joke I tell myself sometimes.

when the local team loses a football game, the fans take out their frustration by rioting in the streets, breaking glass, looting stores and burning cars.

when the local team wins a football game, the fans celebrate by rioding in the streets, breaking glass, looting stores and burning cars.
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Under the Lemon Tree